Thread: Dogs fighting

Dogs fighting

I have a daschund. Hes about a year old now. Hes a chill dog, relaxed, not too hyper, hes a lounger really. well about 5 months ago i got another daschund. This one is the complete opposite. Hes hyper, runs around a lot, jumps, everything a hyper dog does. Ever since I got him, the two dogs fight constantly. I give them both the same love and attention. I got no clue why they both fight. Im probably way off, but I thinking maybe because Chico, my first daschund, is neutered(not my choice by the way) and Charlie, my second daschund, isnt. Just curious why they fight is all. Thanks

How old is the second dog? And is it serious fighting, or play?
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, I just saw your post down in introductions, and saw that the "new kid" is still a puppy, so unless it is real serious fighting, I wouldn't worry about it. Are tails wagging? Have you started obedience training with the new pup yet?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by T0mcat10 View Post
    Im probably way off, but I thinking maybe because Chico, my first daschund, is neutered(not my choice by the way) and Charlie, my second daschund, isnt.
    This could very well be the root of your problem, if it is indeed real fighting. When our dogs play, they can be VERY loud/vocal but its a different type of sound/posture than an actual fight. Eli gets a 'gremlin' type of bark when he's annoyed and Bunny raises her "Hackles' (Hair along the spine) when she is put off by another dog. Whereas when they are playing, it sounds more like Ahhh ahh ahhhh.... not so mean.

Some male dogs (like Eli) can have issues with other intact males... We've noticed this at the dog park. Especially since Chico was there first, and now you've brought a second male in the house, who's intact. I can definitely see some conflict possible there.

Why would you not want your dogs 'fixed'? It ends a lot of unwanted behaviors, decreases the risks of Oops litters and prolongs their lives.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I dont know, I just feel its not right, but if it prolongs their life then Im fine with it. As far as the fighting, I dont know, I guess its not too serious, there will be times when they go at it and I mean their teeth are fully showing and they moan and grown really loud. But i mean it doesnt happen all the time, they sleep next to each other and whatnot

Having them fixed greatly reduces the risk of cancer.

I would imagine they're just playing... As if they were really fighting, there'd be blood. Dachshund teeth are sharp little things.. had one bite me a few years back.

If there is no intention to breed, or other underlying health problems, there is no reason to not fix your dogs. It will prevent them from marking in the house, prevent unwanted litters, and will prevent them from getting cancer. I'd definitely recommend it.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!