Thread: my cat attacked me

my cat attacked me

hi all
    earlier on my cat bacardi accidently got locked in my daughters room i heard him calling me so i picked him up as the dogs were all gathered around him it was dark mind ive no idea if this is why but he hissed at me then dug his claw in my hand and scratched my neck badly hissing at me , bacardis about 14 years old and hes never done this before hes a sweet calm cat thats loving but he hates strangers , we cannot see any reason for this as weve checked him over to make sure alls ok and hes fine im confused why he did this hes not affraid of the dogs either
    thanks
    carol

With being 14 years old and dark, it's possibly he mistook you for a stranger since you said he doesn't like strangers.

At 14 it's possible the hearing and eyesight aren't what they used to be, and maybe he panicked at bit finding himself locked in. When the door opens he might not have been sure who was trying to hold him and a few dogs crowding around him may have been the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Also there's the possibility he could have something going on that's not easily visable, cats are really good at hiding things. Maybe a vet check up just to be sure something else besides being locked in a room could have caused it?

Hopefully you won't get scratched up again and the scratches you have now heal quickly.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

thanks i thought that also that he might have mistook me maybe for a stranger but i wasnt sure , i've held him sinse and my husband has also hes not in pain ,your right check up at vets soon he needs maybe his hearing and eye sight is declining ,if it is i,ll have to make sure hes kept inside from now on , he realy scared me and poor dogs looked like all they wanted to do was run and hide ,my necks ok wounds cleaned but after this has happened its worried me as i know theres a reason for bad behaviour and i dont like the thought of it being his health .
    thanks again
    carol

sounds like his nerves were on edge after his ordeal and being crowded was too much for him to take at that moment

Catlady711 hit the nail on the head. Having been locked in a very dark place with no litterbox,. food or water, I'm sure it was a one time thing. FEAR. Give that furbaby all the loving and all fancy feast she can eat!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I don't know what went on...

Here are some possible things-

A) they might have been scared by all of that

B) they might have been kind of moody, frustrated, or something

Thank you,

Smarties
    I love you and i miss you RB Goldberg. you may be gone from the world, but you'll never be gone from my heart. i wish you could come back, but you are better now. Rest in heavenly peace. i forever miss and love you. i hope "one fine day" we can reunite and be best friends again.
    I forever hold you in my arms,
    I have your name engraved in my heart,
    I know that you may be gone,
    But i loved you right from the start.

When Mac was younger, if something upset or scared him, he would scratch you with meaning! It didn't happen very often, but he would actually growl at you before he scratched and we would give him all kinds of space then. He hasn't done this in a couple of years now, so I'd say he's mellowed. Yeah, fear can turn your normal, loving, kitty into a scratch monster.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Aw, I'm sorry Bacardi got so frightened and confused and then took it out on you.
    In my opinion, it was a combination of having been shut in the room, the dark, not recognizing you and the dogs kind of making Bacardi feel "trapped". I think it was a fear reaction.

I have to say, it also could be senility setting in. So ask your vet about it. There are meds to help but you have to start them before symptoms become acute. When our Jack Russell got up to about age 16 1/2, she started showing signs of senility. It got worse between 16 1/2 and her 17th birthday. She had day & night all mixed up, spent the nights pacing, panting, whining and barking. I sat up with her many nights while my husband tried to wrap his mind around the fact she was failing....In my attempts to comfort her in her confused state, she snapped and nipped me several times. It was a very difficult 6 months of so. We didn't know about the meds that could've been tried and didn't really recognize the initial symptoms as senility setting in, so by time we tried the meds, they didn't help any.
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Pat's right. When I was in VT staying with the girls (KitKat and Freckles) KitKat would walk around the bedroom at night yowling, looking for her baby, Freckles (16 years old). I put in a nightlight which helped.

Try a little catnip. It might help calm her. As far as your wounds are concerned, pour Hydrogen Peroxide on it and then put an antibiotic ointment on it. If you see (which I'm sure you know) a red line or redness with swelling, get to the doctor quickly, as it will only get worse without the kick a$$ medication only a doctor can give you.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My cat attacked me

I have a male doll face persian. He is in tact due to my issues from his brother
    whom died while being neutered. Didn't know he had several heart defects and him passing under surgery was better than finding him crippled or dead at home from heart defects unknown to me.

After that gut wrenching experience I ended up with his half brother from another litter. Same mom cat different father. However I have been paranoid
    about getting him neutered for fear of loss? Yes I know I can get tests done and they are not cheap. He will be 2 in January 2012.

The other morning he was sleeping with me as usual but was having a male
    in tact moment on the covers I made him stop and he came over to me as
    usual to be near me but as I picked him up to love on him he went berzerk!!!
    He was biting me attacking me as I went under the covers initial to miss some
    of the bites... then I threw him off me and he was hissing and howling at me and lunged for me again going Berzerk!!! Luckily the covers helped off set some of the bites and even though my arms and hands were severaly bitten. I have treated them with the right products and not infected.

I am Traumatized and scared to death he will do this again. He does attack my other house cat often and now seems to be doing this to me in a snap.

Do you think he is crazy needs meds or just neutered?

Chi Chi - you might want to post this as a new thread.

A vet can check him to see if he has any heart murmurs or something that would make neutering risky for him.

Since you interrupted him at a "male moment", I think neutering would be the answer.

But check with your vet first.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ChiChi View Post
    Yes I know I can get tests done and they are not cheap. He will be 2 in January 2012.

Do you think he is crazy needs meds or just neutered?
    Oh, dear. It might be worth it to get the tests done, and get him neutered if it is safe. Given his age, it could well be a hormonal thing, has anything else changed in your home lately?
    I've Been Frosted