Thread: Umm..Dog Sex?

Umm..Dog Sex?

This is a serious post that contains a serious question, so please do not think this is a joke.

Honeygirl is in heat (please do not school me about getting her spayed...I know!) She has been in heat before, but would never let any male dog go "near" her when she was in heat. That was before today. Clearly my aunt's neutered dog tickled her fancy.

Im a little confused and a little freaked out. They seem to have gotten "stuck" together and both were squeeling and yelping as if in pain. They couldn't get separated. I tried to pull them apart, but all that did was make each of them squeel and yelp more. I could clearly see that he was "in" her. I don't know how or why, but they finally separated and afterward Honeygirl ran around barking and such like she does when she is all excited when I come home.

Is this normal and the usual way dog sex happens? I'm a little freaked out about the way they were stuck together. How is that even possible? Please help!

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Nap Time!
    Beagle Bailey & Spanky

do dogs get stuck after sex.

This an answer from answer.com
    Yes this is very true and the term for this is called "a tie". This is due to the bulbis glandis of the male dog's penis swelling after it enters the female, thus preventing the male from withdrawing from the female until after the swelling has subsided. This is a completely natural occurrence that can last anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, and does not hurt either one of the dog's. The worst thing a person can do is to try and pull them apart because that can cause trauma to both dogs.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Kokopup's explanation is correct. So you're aunts dog IS neutered then?? How old is your dog?

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Yes, even a neutered dog can tie with a bitch it seems but if he is neutered then there won't be pups from it. Bitches are often excited and happy after mating. We've bred border collies in the past and after mating a pair, the bitches always acted that way.

Please also note that, even though you are careful with regards to entire male dogs, nothing can protect an entire bitch from being vulnerable to pyometras. I know two bitches belonging to other family members never bred from who died from this, and it wasn't a very nice death, so even if I was to breed from a bitch, I'd have her spayed after the litter. If it's from lack of funds, it would be an idea to save up to have her done for your peace of mind.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Honeygirl's Age and Such

Honegirl is about 8 or so. Is there an age in which she is too old to get spayed? Yes, I am currently inquiring about getting her spayed. Now that we are living in a different state, it seems to be far cheaper here than where we came from.

How long does a "heat" cycle usually last? She started bleeding about 2 weeks ago and she is bleeding far less now. Does this mean she is almost done?

Thanks for your help!
    Nap Time!
    Beagle Bailey & Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by mikkehla View Post
    Honegirl is about 8 or so. Is there an age in which she is too old to get spayed?
    As far as I know there's rarely such a thing as 'too old' to spay, so long as they're healthy. I know our hospital has done at least 10 year old dog spays before. Although older animals are required to have a full blood panel done to make sure they're healthy before surgery and to make sure which anesthetics are best to use for that particular older animal, and IV fluids. Sometimes they might require an extra night stay for observation.

The ones I've seen done though all recovered just fine.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I had my ex's dog spayed at 10 years old.. so no there is not an age that's is to "old" to be spayed, it all just depends on the dogs health and whether or not a vet would feel confident in putting the dog under anesthetic. Some older dogs don't do well under anesthetic due to illness ect. What would be obviously worse for honeys well being would be if she got pregnant at her old age..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I also know a breeder who didn't spay a retired dog and ended up having her die of uterine infection. She didn't show that anything was wrong until it was too late. It was not a good death. Everyday your dog is not spayed, she is at risk for a uterine infection. The sooner you get it done, the better.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton