Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I no longer work at the Pharmacy.

Genny, I agree with Alysser...I know in Canada, a person needs a certain number of work weeks to apply for employment benefits. However, I still think you should report this fellow. And see if you can get a few more hours at Chickfila for now.

When you are feeling as bad as you are now, factual statements can seem to be cold and mean. But that's not what was meant, hon, I am sure of it.

{{{hugs}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I would like to say one thing, without anyone thinking I am being judgmental.

There may be times when you have to work a job you absolutely hate, just to survive. I spent several years in a job like that - I just had to suck it up, get out of bed every morning, spend a miserable 8+ hours in an environment I hated, around people I hated, doing a job I hated - because if I didn't, I wouldn't have a decent meal or a place to live or much of anything else. Why did I stay??? - because the pay was good, and at the time, there was nothing else available that could even touch what I was earning there. Eventually, the right job did come along, but it was a long road to get to it.

Sometimes you have no alternative - you have to take the bad to get the good.

ETA: I do agree that he should be reported to the health department. As far as it being a hostile environment in which to work, I don't think there's anything that can legally be done about that. It boils down to - if you don't like it, then leave - which is what you did.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 02-15-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm glad to you followed your gut and quit a job you were miserable at. I know first-hand how awful it is to work someplace where they degrade you at every turn.

Now, that said, there is a difference between abuse in the workplace and normal work environment. One thing is that bosses are rarely sugar and spice. They can appear gruff and rude. They tell you what to do, not ask. They expect you to do it fast, with efficiency and accuracy... and a smile. They rarely pat you on the back for doing what you're supposed to do - they expect you to do it without praise and accolades since thats what you are paid to do.

Also, without comprimise, a full-time employer will not bend around a part time job's hours. Most PT jobs refuse to bend around another PT job's hours. They expect you to work the hours they give you. If you can't do it, there's ALWAYS someone else willing to take the shift you won't fill, expecially in this job market.

A job is not social time, nor is it supposed to be fun. You CAN enjoy your job (I happen to LOVE mine) but in the end, its work and there are days you want to scream because the boss is being unreasonable. Last week, my boss took my head off for laughing too loud. I was hurt at the time, but he was 100% right. The other boss expected us to come to work in the middle of the blizzard, and didn't understand why we all refused to leave our homes.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    I'm glad to you followed your gut and quit a job you were miserable at. I know first-hand how awful it is to work someplace where they degrade you at every turn.

Now, that said, there is a difference between abuse in the workplace and normal work environment. One thing is that bosses are rarely sugar and spice. They can appear gruff and rude. They tell you what to do, not ask. They expect you to do it fast, with efficiency and accuracy... and a smile. They rarely pat you on the back for doing what you're supposed to do - they expect you to do it without praise and accolades since thats what you are paid to do.

Also, without comprimise, a full-time employer will not bend around a part time job's hours. Most PT jobs refuse to bend around another PT job's hours. They expect you to work the hours they give you. If you can't do it, there's ALWAYS someone else willing to take the shift you won't fill, expecially in this job market.

A job is not social time, nor is it supposed to be fun. You CAN enjoy your job (I happen to LOVE mine) but in the end, its work and there are days you want to scream because the boss is being unreasonable. Last week, my boss took my head off for laughing too loud. I was hurt at the time, but he was 100% right. The other boss expected us to come to work in the middle of the blizzard, and didn't understand why we all refused to leave our homes.
    Beautifully said.

I just want to add that I have been at my job since November 2002. There was a time with one manager who disliked me and made my live a living nightmare. I cried AT work, during the drive home, before work... she was mean to me (and everyone else!). That phase lasted a good three years.

Fortunately for me, I stuck it out. The managers I have had since that woman have been WONDERFUL. The job may not be my dream job (I am doing data entry currently) but the managers make it worthwhile.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

In regards to Pomtzu's post - You are very correct. The only difference is (at least as I'm seeing it) she doesn't HAVE to put up with it.
    If I didn't have bills to pay, animals to support and things like that, I might quit my job too. Only because my commute is horrid. I actually like my job. But that is just not possible in this job market.

I also agree 100% with catnappers last post as well.

I think it's great you quit and didn't put up with his crap. But there will come a day that you will NEED to work a full time job. Keep that in mind. We all have to do things we don't like. Now I'm not saying to take this man's abuse. But if it is that bad he should be reported.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks all of ya'll for understanding and being so nice about this. It's good to have you guys to talk to about it.

Pomtzu, I truly understand what you mean about having to stay at a job you hate because you have to have $$ to survive. I hate that you and some others here have had to stay w/ jobs you didn't like because you simply had no other choice. I'm sure it was/is hard because I was only there for 2 short weeks and absolutely didn't wanna go back! If I had to of worked there and had no other choice I guess I would have, but since its just me and I live w/ my mom I don't have to really work to take care of myself. I only have to pay my cell phone bill and for my clothes and gas for my car.

I know I'm 21 and It is about time for me to find a better paying job so I'll have $$ in the future for my self incase I ever had to support myself intirely, ya know? I really am trying though. Things are tough and it is hard to find a job right now with the way things are.

I couldn't report him though; even though that's what probably needs to be done--I couldn't. My mom wouldn't want me to go that far w/ it. My uncle gets his neds. filled there and he has even been rude and snappy with him which is un-called for if you ask me-I mean my uncle wasn't the one that quit workin for him, I did... but I guess that shouldn't surprise me cause like I said before he's rude to lots of his customers.

Anyways thankyou guys for being here!!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Genny - you really should report him to the health department. You're 21 and old enough to make your own decisions, so I don't understand not doing it because your mother wouldn't want you too. Reporting him being rude and it being a hostile environment would be a waste of time - and who would you report it to anyway? It may not be right, but it's his business and he can run it the way he wants. There's no physical abuse or sexual harassment, so like I said, it's simply a case of "if you don't like it - then leave".

And just something to think about: you live at home and basically are still being supported by your parents. What if - and God forbid - something happened to them? - what would you do without an income to support yourself? I won't bore you with what I was doing at 21, but it wasn't living at home, that's for sure. Most people your age are either furthering their education or working a full time job and paying their own way. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I really don't think you're looking at the whole picture.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Genny - you really should report him to the health department. You're 21 and old enough to make your own decisions, so I don't understand not doing it because your mother wouldn't want you too. Reporting him being rude and it being a hostile environment would be a waste of time - and who would you report it to anyway? It may not be right, but it's his business and he can run it the way he wants. There's no physical abuse or sexual harassment, so like I said, it's simply a case of "if you don't like it - then leave".

And just something to think about: you live at home and basically are still being supported by your parents. What if - and God forbid - something happened to them? - what would you do without an income to support yourself? I won't bore you with what I was doing at 21, but it wasn't living at home, that's for sure. Most people your age are either furthering their education or working a full time job and paying their own way. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I really don't think you're looking at the whole picture.
    I don't think any of us should encourage a young person to go against their parent's advice- no matter what we think of it. I am a lot older than 21, and if MY mother told me not to do something in a situation like this, I wouldn't do it either. It has nothing to do with age.

I lived at home until I was 22. I moved back home at 29. Big deal. Genny, you should not feel any pressure to move out on your own. Trust me- living on your own ain't all that it is cracked up to be. Time is short, time with our parents even shorter. Enjoy it for all that it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I don't think any of us should encourage a young person to go against their parent's advice- no matter what we think of it. I am a lot older than 21, and if MY mother told me not to do something in a situation like this, I wouldn't do it either. It has nothing to do with age.

I lived at home until I was 22. I moved back home at 29. Big deal. Genny, you should not feel any pressure to move out on your own. Trust me- living on your own ain't all that it is cracked up to be. Time is short, time with our parents even shorter. Enjoy it for all that it is worth.

I never said that she should move out - only that she should have a source of income with which to support herself in the event that her parents were unable to continue supporting her. Poop happens!

And there were some instances where, as an adult, I took my mother's advise, but wished I hadn't in the end. Genny would be doing a lot of people a favor if she reported the less than sanitary conditions at this pharmacy.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013