Thread: Cats and dirty ears?

Cats and dirty ears?

I'm catsitting Dali again. We have a wonderful cuddle time every day and he has let me come really close, but I noticed he has very dirty ears. I have cleaned them a bit three times with wet q-tips, but I'm wondering if there's anything else his family can do - perhaps some drops to drip his ears with? There are no little critters in there, just dirt. Last time I catsat him, I noticed his dirty ears also, and told the family. They took him to the vet recently, she said he needs all his teeth removed. He is 13 years old and a lot smaller than Fister.

Here's a picture of him from last summer. He is the sweetest boy!

... and one more from outside

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'd give him an ear mite treatment anyway, unless you are absolutely positive that he doesn't have mites. They'll look like white specks in the ear crud in the q-tip.

Some cats just have dirty ears. I had to clean Havoc's ears twice a week for quite some time until I switched ear cleaners and it finally cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post

Some cats just have dirty ears. I had to clean Havoc's ears twice a week for quite some time until I switched ear cleaners and it finally cleared up.
    Same here, for my Chestnut. Ear cleaner works fine.

Dali is quite handsome!

Neither of mine ever has dirty ears, though I check regularly. When I have had pets with dirty ears, mineral oil and a Qtip did the job. By the way, Dali is a very handsome boy!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

The most effective ear cleaner and quite a good price was recommended by Our Vet and thats simple Glycerine which you get at any drug store for a few dolalrs and its just as good as the 30 dollar ear cleaner!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Monday evening at our house, after supper, is ear check!!! That is how I found those areas in Tina's ears!! I have to admit, taking the cat to the vet for dirty ears, and finding out that all the cat's teeth have to come out is soomething else!!! I have noticed that some of the Clan seem to have alot of surface " dirt." I carefully clean with w q tip. Sometimes I put a little bit of peroxide on some cotten and give the outer ear a swipe. You'd be surprised to see all the yucky stuff. Dali is a sweet looking fella.
    Nine is Fine!!

Some cats just produce a lot of ear wax. My Sunny does this and when my RB Starr was younger he did too. Hopefully it's not earmites. I'm sorry to hear that he has to have all of his teeth extracted. He looks like a very handsome cat.

A few of my all indoor kitties get very dirty ears, sometimes even just ONE ear like that. I just use dry q-tips and clean them out, once a week if necessary. I wouldn't use water in the ears, that could cause a yeast or other infection to grow in there. I've never used a cleaner on my kitties ears, the q-tips alone seem to do the job fine and bother the kitties far less than if I had to squirt something in there.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thank you all! I'll pass on the advice to Dali's mom when they come back. I did actully mention about his ears the last time I catsat. Glycerine sounds like a good idea Gary - and cheap. I guess some cats just get dirty ears without nothing being wrong. He does go outside in the garden a bit, but he hasn't been out for 10 days now.

I have offered to come along to the vet when Dali is going. I do hope that all his teeth doesn't have to come out!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What a handsome man he is, our Dali!!!!

What happened to his left eye Randi??
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Lut, I think Dali was in a fight with another cat when he was living in South America with his family. They had him operated and took him with them when they travelled. He is 13 or 14 years old now. Such a sweet boy!