Thread: In Memory of Lucky

In Memory of Lucky

Yesterday was a very sad day in the life of my wife and myself. We have had numerous cats, a dog, gerbals, ducks, etc over the years, but Lucky was someone special to us.

We found Lucky on the street in our neighborhood 12 years ago. He was only 4 weeks old at the time, lying in the middle of the street, injured with a broken leg. We’re not quite sure how he got injured. We took him to our vet who told us that he needed to stay off his legs for at least 4 weeks. At that time we weren't looking for a new pet cat, we already had 2 cats. But Lucky was so gentile and loving that we decided to care for him. He stayed in Debbie and my room. We had built him a “hospital room” out of a cardboard box where he could re-habilitate. When he was healed in slept in our bed every night. He quickly became friends with our 2 older cats, and the favorite of our 2 children, Deb and me.

Lucky was a cat you couldn't help but love. He was always by you, jumping on your lap, purring when you petted him. Some cats are very stand offish, not our Lucky. If you were injured or hurting emotionally, he was there to offer comfort. He had beautiful markings and eyes that would look at you with love and affection. He was like a child to Deb and me.

Over the past 12 years, the 2 cats we had when we found Lucky had died. We found, with the help of our older child, 2 new cats, who entered our lives 7 years ago. Even though Lucky was the king of our house, he quickly allowed the 2 new cats to enter his domain. He was like an older brother to our 2 new girl kitties.

Over the years, Lucky never seemed to grow old. He was even playing with the girl kitties, even over the past few days. He never showed signs of his sickness and had no physical appearances that would indicate how ill he truly had become. Even 3 days ago, he was running through the house with one of the girl kitties, swatting a ball at her and playing.

Two days ago, Lucky, who slept on our bed with Deb and me, went downstairs with me in the morning, He came over, rubbed his head on me, purred as I petted him saying ‘good morning buddy’, as he went to his food dish to nibble and drink some water. As he left his food dish, he began to spit up water and mucus 2 or 3 times, and ran upstairs. Very much out of character, he ran under our bed and laid there in obvious discomfort, chocking and spitting up 2 or 3 more times. We held him for some time, but he was not responding as he usually did by purring and licking your hand. And when I put him down on the floor, he laid there and meowed in a very painful way.

Deb quickly called our vet who told us to bring Lucky out immediately. When we went there, we found out he was de-hydrated and need an IV. We gave the vet permission to do blood work and take x-rays. He told us to leave Lucky and he would call us once the test were completed.

The vet discovered that Lucky had a mild form of diabetes, but due to the de-hydration, one of his kidneys was not functioning. This stunned my wife and I because he was so playful and looked so healthy. Lucky had to stay at the vets to take the IV which also included a steroid and an anti-biotic. I had called the vet back at 6:00 PM that night to see if we could bring Lucky home. He stated that Lucky had stabilized and the best place for him was the vet hospital. Yesterday morning at 8 AM the vet called us to stated that Lucky’s condition had worsen and that he was unable to stand. We authorized more tests, and one of the test uncovered that Lucky had cancerous tumors behind his lungs and also in his liver and pancreas. He was shutting down quickly. We immediately drove to our vet’s hospital, but Lucky had died right before we got there.

This is an amazing situation to me and my wife. We have 2 children and 3 grand children. We had lost Deb’s dad 3 years ago, but our other 3 parents are still living. Losing Lucky was as painful an experience as losing or potentially losing any of our family members. I know it sounds ridiculous, he was only a cat. But for Deb and myself, Lucky was our 3rd child. Like I stated at the beginning of this memorial, we have had a dog, 5 total cats, gerbils, turtles, frogs, 2 ducks, etc., the remaining of which were family but not like a child. Lucky was really a human in a cat’s body.

I appreciate this forum giving me an opportunity to say goodbye to one of my babies

Rest in peace, dearest Lucky, you are so much loved and missed and grieved!

God bless you, John and your family, for giving Lucky such a fine life full of so much love.

=======>
    I know it sounds ridiculous, he was only a cat. But for Deb and myself, Lucky was our 3rd child.
    =========

Trust me, this does NOT sound ridiculous here on Pet Talk! You have come to the right place to talk about Lucky and the love he shared with all of you. Thank you so much for telling us this wonderful story.

Welcome to Pet Talk, and please stay around!

Pat, and kitties Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, and Sparkler
    Last edited by phesina; 03-06-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Lucky indeed is an aptly named Cat.
    A Cat who as a Kitten is badly injured and left to die on the streets , he could have had a sad short life.
    But he was lucky enough to have his New Family come across him, take him to the Vets and amke Lucky an integral part of their Family.
    And Lucky showed his appreciation by being the friendliest Cat he knew how to be , thanking you many times over for your friendship.
    Now Luckys an Awsome Angel now and at the Eternal Baby Angels Fly In Movies there will be a plate for Lucky, and a movie of Lucky will be screened so all the Angels will know him.
    We bet that Lucky will recieve a job helping other Strays find Furrever Homes. FormerStrays are the best at this and we know that Lucky will do a very good job indeed!
    Lucky's love is forever and he will be there years from now waiting to reunite with his Family in Love.
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Lucky sounds like a very loved cat, and an important member of the family. I am sure he is watching over you, your own feline angel, for now and forever.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm sorry that you couldn't be w/Lucky when he went to the Rainbow Bridge but he knew how loved he was and he truly was a lucky boy to have been found and cared for by you and Deb all those years. It isn't ridiculous at all to mourn your cat. All of us here on Pet Talk have been there. It's painful but to go w/out their companionship would be even more painful. I know that Lucky is looking down on you, waiting for the day when you all will be together again. RIP, sweet Lucky and peace to your humans.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    John & Deb ~ I am so sorry for your loss.
    Most of us here have experienced the loss of a loved child. No one here thinks "It's just a cat".

I'm sorry that such a sad occasion brought you here, but welcome.

Fragile Circle by Irving Townsend

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own,
    live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
    Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
    We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
    never fully understanding the necessary plan."
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

To be completely honest, I have found it harder to deal with the death of our cats, than with humans, despite my relationship with them(the humans). The cats love us no matter what. They do not care that we are fat, our hair is gray or we are balding, they just love us. So, never feel bad that you mourn so for Lucky!! You were LUCKY that he came into your life and he will always love you. I am so sorry for your loss of such a wonderful creature like Lucky. Saint Theresa once said, " Perfection consists in doing God's will and being just what He wants us to be." In Lucky's case, he was the best cat!!! Sleep softly, sweet Lucky...
    Nine is Fine!!

What a beautiful Memorial for your dear "Lucky",I adore all my pets,But there is that one animal in your lifetime that is like no other,For me it is my dear dog Lacy..It is true on how they act human.

Run free at the Bridge Lucky,there is so many cats for you to meet and play with,Lucky is now yours and Debbie's Gardian Angel.

Rest Well Lucky,You have a busy few days ahead of you,Getting used to your new surroundings.

Your story was so lovely to read and sad too, thanks for sharing it with us all, of course Lucky was not "Just a cat", he was your furchild, everyone here understands where you are coming from and shares in your pain and grieving,treasure those special memories,and take comfort in knowing that Lucky had a wonderful happy life with you, and gave you so much joy and pleasure. Thinking of you at this sad time in your life, and RIP sweet Lucky and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.

Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Dear John, I'm very sorry that you have lost your beloved Lucky! He lived a wonderful life full of love, he was a part of your family, and he was special. Many of us here experienced the same pain, and felt the same emptiness in our hearts. One day, you will remember your feline friend with a smile, and feel blessed that you had such a wonderful creature in your life! Remember, he will always live on in your hearts!

R.I.P. little Lucky!

Kirsten

Dear John and Deb,
    Lucky was a lucky cat. He found you two, and loved you as much as you obviously loved him. I am so sorry he was taken from you so young. May the memories of his happier days comfort you in time.

John, I have tears in my eyes after reading your beautiful tribute to Lucky.

I don't believe that there is a person on this board who thinks "this is just a cat." How can you, when you live with them and receive all of the love that they can give you?

Starting from the beginning with my very first kitty who lived to be 18 years old - he was not "just a cat" - he was my child and I loved him so much just as I have the kitties that have moved in with me since I lost him.

John and Deb, I feel your loss and I am happy that you came to this gentle forum where all of us understand and care. There just isn't anything like a cat!!

John and Deb, I'm so sorry to hear about Lucky's passing. He sure was an amazing cat and now he's pain free and up at Rainbow Bridge. I don't have any children and my cats are like children to me so I can relate to what you're saying. Ever time I've lost a cat it's hurt me deeply but time does heal some of the pain. You will see Lucky again and he may even come to visit you. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Please take care.

Sending out my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. ((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

Lucky

I am sorry to hear of your loss......I share your pain, there are just no words......

Thanks to PCB!