Thread: Audition advice...

Audition advice...

I have an audition tomorrow to get my job back at Six Flags. Everyone is telling me I'm definitely getting it back since I stayed loyal last year for the entire season and I was a great employee. But that does not rule us out to do auditions, and I've only auditioned for something once in my life, which again was last year for fright fest and although I wasn't first choice I did make it - I am by no means an actress, singer, or dancer. I was in a play once in first grade...that's about it. For this particular audition, we have to memorize a 30-second monolouge and dance to one of the dances in the shows. I have no worries about the dancing, I'm sure I can do that pretty easily as there are two categories - beginners and experienced dancers. But the monolouge is what I'm nervous as hell about. I've never preformed in front of a bunch of people on an actual stage before, and I realize that yes, it is half a minute only - but still scary.

Does anyone have an audition tips, essentially for the monolouge portion of it? The monolouge is called "Changes" from the play Our Town - if that's relevant, it's really easy. I've got like the first half memeorized already.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Easy - don't look at the people if that scares you, look at the wall above their heads, or the exit sign at the back of the room if there is one. And don;t panic - it's only an audition, people go through them all the time. Just act confident, even if you aren't! Smile when you introduce yourself, chin up, shoulders back and go for it!
    I've Been Frosted

Absolute confidence.

If you make a mistake, don't think about it. Blow right through it and keep going. People will remember how you said it more than they'll remember what you said. To quote an old music teacher, people remember the first notes and the last, if you NAIL those, what's in between won't matter as much.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

The best advice I got was from my current vocal coach - it makes so much sense. . .Take Your Time. Don't rush out there and start your monologue and rush through it. Step out, "own the space" as they say, look around, get the feel of your surroundings and begin when you are ready. Standing in the space for a moment or so before you begin makes the biggest difference in the world - that makes it your space!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

A drama coach once said to us, "Don't just say the words - TELL it to me." It is the character's first time saying this (not yours) and it has to be communicated to the hearers.

Have you tried a gabble rehearsal? It's great for ensuring the words are in your brain! You say the whole monologue as fast as you can - no punctuation, pauses or anything! One looong run-on sentence!

Also - take each sentence and emphasize a different word each time you say it; you'll say it the number of times there are words in the sentence.

EG "The dog is black."
    1. THE dog is black.
    2. The DOG is black.
    3. The dog IS black.
    4. The dog is BLACK.

This last one will really help you with the first suggestion, and take the monologue beyond just memorizing, and making it your own.

In other words - play with the monologue and have fun with it.

Good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I am no performer, so I don't have anything for you other than some good vibes for your success! I am sure you will pull it off with flair.

Zimbabwe 07/13

My mom use to give me some advice before interviews etc,...just remember all those people sit on the toilet too

Just practice practice and more practice and you will do great.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    My mom use to give me some advice before interviews etc,...just remember all those people sit on the toilet too

Just practice practice and more practice and you will do great.
    LMAO!! That's hilarious!

Good Luck Alyssa! I think everyone has given you some great advice. I am horrible in front of crowds. I talk super fast.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks for the advice guys, but guess what? Looks like I have a another
    WHOLE week to practice, as the audition was re-scheduled due to expected inclement weather. FINE by me!!

I will most certainly try my best in the confidence department, although it'll be hard for me. I'm still nervous but at least I'll have more time to practice my new monolouge and gather my thoughts on it. I will definitely try and grabble rehearsal and all that stuff. Thanks for the advice guys!

Hey, practice every day, and you'll be great! Any nursing home nearby you can visit for a trial run?
    I've Been Frosted

I can't offer any advice but I can wish you great good luck! I hope you nail it!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Good luck Alyssa!! I have no advice, but I must say that caseysmom's piece of advice had me laughing!!
    I know you'll do great!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)