Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelters feeding animals.. animals?

Shelters feeding animals.. animals?

Okay so I was talking to my friend and she was telling me about this pound that euthanizes dogs and cats, turns them into kibble, and then feeds them to the shelter dogs and cats. This then builds the immunity to the dogs and cats so they have to have more of the shot to put that animal to sleep. She says this is possible because they have a ton of government funding and backing up to do it. To me this sounds ridiculous but at the same time bothers me. I sort of have an idea the exact location she is talking about too because apparently her friend works there and sees this first hands and is constantly complaining about it. I really don't know what to do about this and if this is even true. Is there people you can contact about something like that? Do you guys think this is even possible?
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Sounds like a complete lie, one of those urban legend things.
    I've Been Frosted

That's what I was thinking. Especially when she gave me the name of the place and when I looked it up online, it said it was a Humane Society. I told her that's definitely not true for a Humane Society because 1. They couldn't afford it since they do not get government funding and 2. They probably get enough donations to suffice.

I was trying really hard to explain to her the difference between a HS and a pound.

When I worked at our HS, we got a ton of donations but we actually fed our dogs and cats something along the lines of Burns Hollistic(I believe it was called, really healthy stuff) and usually gave the donated food to people who couldn't afford pet food or to the wildlife sanctuary.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

That, to me, sounds both illegal and scientifically impossible (the immunity part).

That does NOT sound normal... it sounds more, unethical? Like Alyssa, I do not believe that animals eating animals strengthens their immunity.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I was talking to a chick that runs a lab rescue in Illinois and she sent me this link. This might have been what my friend was talking about but I'm not sure, she didn't describe it this way.

http://www.dogs-4life.com/does-your-...ized-dog-.html

ETA: Another link
    http://www.examiner.com/x-31917-Anah...-make-pet-food
    Last edited by animal_rescue; 01-30-2010 at 03:22 PM.

WOW! (I have to process this information)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I still think it is suspect. Remember, just because it is on the Internet somewhere, doesn't mean it's true. I've seen the "Los Angeles shelter" sentence and numbers many places with no attribution or follow-up.

And yes, rendering plants do exist. They perform a valuable service in our meat-eating society, so that the "leftover" parts of butchered animals do not go to waste or take up room in landfills. It's not a pretty part of life, but without it, life would be much worse. Much like sewage treatment plants - much better than polluting every river and stream with human waste, and killing off wildlife, never mind the cost in terms of disease and air quality for the humans.
    I've Been Frosted

Knowing what the regs for rendering plants were when Dad was working for them in the '60s, I find it incredibly hard to believe that link is even remotely close to the truth.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

From the website in question:

The author of this website is neither a legal counselor nor a health practitioner, nor a veterinarian and makes no claims in this regard. You are welcome to read the information on this nsite for entertainment and as the opinion of the lay author. You should follow the links and visit the various websites and determine for yourself if the products are for you.
    In other words, it's all fiction. To put that disclaimer in there I'm willing to bet someone had some legal issues with some of the lies......
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I know I may sound demented to you guys, but why would they waste the time and nutrients kibbling the deceased animals? Feeding them raw muscle meats, meaty bones as well as organ meats is suuuper nutritious, and the food goes alot further... IMO if they are doing this, they are wasting your tax dollars. If they were feeding it raw, then I think this would be a great way to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by cane76 View Post
    Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

But what about the Phenobarbital in their system? If you fed the dead animals raw to live animals wouldn't it just poison them and make them really sick if not kill them?

Quote Originally Posted by animal_rescue View Post
    But what about the Phenobarbital in their system? If you fed the dead animals raw to live animals wouldn't it just poison them and make them really sick if not kill them?
    Jeez louise... I thought everything out except for that lmfao. You're right!

Quote Originally Posted by cane76 View Post
    Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

Why even continue discussing something that's complete and total fiction?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I find this hard to believe. I seriously doubt that the FDA would allow diseased animals, or those with various drugs in their system, do be processed for consumption. Processed and used as fertilizer has long been an acceptable practice, but as food???? Nah - very doubtful IMO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~