Thread: Basenji anyone?

Basenji anyone?

Hi all,

We've just discovered that our rescued-from-the-shelter dog Murphy is actually a basenji! Well, *mostly* basenji. He has almost all the basenji traits in both his looks and his behavior. (He does bark, although rarely--basenjis are known as "barkless" dogs.) I don't have a photo of him to post, but if you check out this site, the dog in the first picture named Rocket Man looks EXACTLY like our Murph:

http://khanis.freeyellow.com/

Anyway, just wondering if there are any basenji owners out there who can talk a little about owning one of these mischievous dogs. It sounds like they're quite a handful, but we already know that!

What a cutie!!!

I don't have dogs (yet), and haven't heard of this breed. He sure is a cutie though. Enjoy!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Wow, I had no idea that the Basenji's were that beautiful. I love the black & white one. Can't wait to see pics of yours, too!

Oh I think Basenjis are amazing dogs! So unique! I have always had a bit of an interest in them. I'd love to see your doggy. I have heard they are quite well-mannered and clean dogs...I have heard that sometimes they are cat-like too.

One of my all-time favorite actors, Kelsey Grammer, has three Basenjis(I think?). They are Zen and Red and Buster. They are sooo cute!

Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

AWWW that basenji pup sleeping is ADORABLE, Floppsy! I don't think the reddish colored one in the first pic (Red?) looks like a Basenji, but the other 2 do! It looks a bit like a vizla (sp??) but it's hard to tell. All cute though!

Yea I agree now that you say that, Wolf-Q. It does look like a Vizla.

You can see "Frasier's" dogs (and read about them) at www.kelseylive.com. He has two basenjis and another dog...not sure of the breed. The black and white one, Zen, looks almost EXACTLY like our Murph.

I wish I could post pictures of him, but the only digital photos we have are HUGE!

Originally posted by strass
    You can see "Frasier's" dogs (and read about them) at www.kelseylive.com. He has two basenjis and another dog...not sure of the breed. The black and white one, Zen, looks almost EXACTLY like our Murph.
    Yeah that is where I got the pics from. I forgot that Red was not a Basenji. Ooops! Yeah, he really does look like a Vizla, what a silly mistake! They are really beautiful dogs.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Cute Pic!!!!!! I have a passion for Basenjis!!! They have always caught my eye. From all of the dog shows that I have watched on tv, I haven't seen ANY Basenjis at all!!! I wonder if they are a popular breed?

BTW! You spell Vizsla-(just how I typed it!) Just to let you know... Not that big of a deal!