Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wouldn't believe it...........

I wouldn't believe it...........

if I hadn't seen it. I have been feeding some of my furkids on top of my refrigerator because it is tall enough for them not to gain access. Yet, yesterday evening, I saw Amy (my tuxedo adoptee) jump from the kitchen sink to the top of my frig', a distance of about 6 feet (2 meters)! And that from a crouching position. I know she is an extra long cat, but I would have never suspected her to do that.

........wayne

Catolympics, look out!

Wayne, Tuxedos must be part kangeroo. My tux, Tex, jumped on top of a 'hole in the wall' that served as a divider b/t the kitchen and living room- with cathedral ceilings. I would say it was close to ten feet up. I was amazed.

Wayne, cats never cease to amaze me with what they are capable of doing. Maya regularily jumps up to the top of the fridge, the bookcase, the closet!! I remember a picture that SAS Vermont posted of Graemer on top of the door!!!!Where next.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Athletic little devils, aren't they??

My Trevor LOVES to be on top of the refrigerator. When someone comes to open the door and take something out he grumbles at being disturbed **meows loudly.** My concern is his route. He goes from the floor to the counter and then walks across the stove top and springs off from there. I have to have eyes in the back of my head when I am cooking, although fortunately he hasn't tried it with pots and pans on the stove.

Oh, Trevor be careful, big boy...

A friend of mine had Manx cats, one of which could jump, from a sitting position, to the top of an 8-foot door frame...like you said, if you didn't see it it would be hard to believe it happened.

I've read somewhere that a cat has the capacity to jump six times it's body length, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I think Ritz can jump higher than she usually does....when we had her spayed, she tried to jump up to a height that she never had a problem with before,and did it a little too soon after surgery and fell (scared mommy to death). I think she might have "sprained a giblet" or something - she is fine playing....vet checked her out....she is ok in other ways, but just never tries to jump any higher than the short file cabinet in the office. She has never been on the kitchen counter or attempted to go there (that I know of) , which is a first for me - all past cats drove me crazy with this..seriously I don't think' she even tries.

They are limber creatures!
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

That is so neat Wayne! Noel is our litte jumper and she amazes me when she jumps up to our dresser (about 5 feet high) from the ground. It's amazing to me when they do that.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Maya is a master in jumping !!
    She loves to jump on a window-bench that is almost 1m40cm high !!

I think she might have "sprained a giblet" or something
    There's another good one for PT words that make you smile!
    On the topic of kitchen jumping - my kitty has never gotten on the counters when I'm looking, but I did come home one day to find him neatly ensconced between the kitchen window and the shutters on it (a space of about 4"), which means he would have had to go up on the counter and then make a very nimble leap behind those shutters. Another one that makes me smile is when my husband and I were house-shopping and we went to see a home being shown by a realtor while the owners weren't home. We came in to this very nicely furnished, immaculately clean home, with a beautiful black and white cat laying like a centerpiece in the middle of the dining room table. I can pretty much bet that wouldn't be allowed if the owners had been home.(I would have bought the house if the kitty came with it!)

A sadder story is when my girl kitty, who rarely jumped up on the counters, jumped directly up onto the stove while I was browning hamburger. (I never saw her coming - you know how stealthy these kitties are.) She unfortunately landed with her front paws directly in the frying pan. I had to rub ice on her pads and then take her to the emergency vet, who prescribed some ointment. Naturally this put an end to her kitchen jumping altogether.

(By the way, this has taken me 15 minutes to type one-handed because I have a lovely kitty sound asleep on my lap and I can't reach the keyboard properly! I guess I'm Mohammed reincarnated.)
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

All Creatures. I do not know why they jump on ( or into) things that can cause them pain. I am beginning to believe that they honelstly forget, in their excitement. I have one Russian Blue (Nikolai) who always attempts to get inside the refrigerator, when ever I open the door. I am alway afraid of crushing him when shutting the door. No amount of education keeps him from doing this.

........wayne

My wife "lost" the boy cat one day when he was young. She looked and looked for him without luck. I was in bed with a cold so she came and woke me up.

I looked all over (and under too). We called and called. We got out the catnip and food treats.

Finally she heard a muffled sound from the fridge. She opened the door and there he sat on the bottom shelf.

He was not hurt, frightened, or anything. The only reason that he meowed was that he heard the panic in our voices. he loves the cold.
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

Big Charles, He could have eventually frozen in there. Fortunately, Nikolai, does not climb into the frig, but always gets in the way of the door.

........wayne

ROTFL - Big Charles that was a hoot - your furboy reminds me of our big daft Ketchum - he loves the rain!!! Sits out in it for hours!!
    Wayne - yep it must be a black & white cat thing - Dan's always leaping huge distances without any effort.

Lynne

Lynne, your'e back! How did your trip go to the 'states? Also, I hope your "wing" is better.

........wayne