Thread: Fatpads - Uppydate 2/24/10

Fatpads - Uppydate 2/24/10

Took Robin to the vet today because I think she has a UTI. So the vet is examining her and trying to feel for her bladder. He's murmuring to himself as he feels around and then says "...and those are fatpads....". I smiled and said "fatpads? I guess that's why we call her our chunky monkey." he immediately started back pedaling and trying to explain himself and I just smiled. We know she's a little chunker, but she's a Norwegian Forest Cat which is a bigger boned cat, so we're not worried about her. Besides, she only weighed about 10.2 lbs and half that is fur.....

Anyway, just thought you guys would get a kick out of the fatpads. Hmmmm....now if I could just get rid of my own fatpads.....

Uppydate: See http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=159497
    She has been diagnosed with Calcium Oxalate Crystals/stones. She is really doing fine - absolutely NO change in behavior at all, still her sweet silly self, but there was still blood in her urine after the course of antibiotics, so back to the vet. Good news is it's not cancer like Peanut had - just crystals - whew....I think.
    Last edited by Tubby & Peanut's Mom; 02-24-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

HEY!

The Wandering Spirits check in!! - How'ya doing?

And how did the Kid check out with the UTI?

Hey Phred

He physically checked her out, but I was unable to get a "sample" before we left....and I'm still waiting. Geez, will she never pee?

He agreed that all evidence pointed towards a UTI, but he wanted to "practice good medicine" and not dispense the antibiotics until he got a "sample."

So now I have newspaper in the litterbox, litterbox tilted so it will drain to one corner, syringe on the ready......and my luck CJ will be the next one to pee and I'll have to redo everything to put it back in place for her.... Oh the things we do for our dear ones.....

Other than this, all is well with the family and life is good. Could warm up a bit if you ask me though. It's only been in the low to mid 60s for the last week or so with all this rain we've been getting. Rain....what is rain....this is the desert for crying out loud! I want sunshine and mid 70s or I'm moving back to Chicago for the winter! (yeah, right!)
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Hi Debbie. It's nice to see you posting here again. I've never heard of the term "fatpads". Maybe Richard should add it to the PT dictionary. Hopefully if Robin does have a UTI that it'll clear up quickly without any problems.

At my vets they just use syringe with a needle to get a urine sample so I never have the problem of trying to collect it on my own. Sometimes Storm's bladder has been empty so I've had to leave him at the vets for a while so that they would be able to get a good sample though.

I know what you mean by a chunky cat. My Ziggy has become a huge cat. She's 3 now and just seems to keep on growing. She probably weighs about 15lbs now. She loves to eat and if I still free fed my cats she'd probably weigh 20-30lbs. She's lucky that she's long haired because it helps to cover up her tummy.

I'm glad that everyone is doing well and hopefully you'll be able to check in more around here. It's been so sad with all of the PT cats going to the Bridge lately. It's been cold and rainy here too so I can relate to what you're experiencing. Take care.

I hope I got the right pic.

I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Hi Debbie, good to hear from you. I hope you get that sample- sometimes you would rather they would NOT practise that "good medicine"
    I miss pictures of your two- would love to make up my mind about "fatpads" myself

Hi Debbie! Nice to see you back again. Hope your lovely girl gets better soon and CJ don't have to "go" before she does but we all know he will...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

When I saw the word Fatpads my first thought was Lovehandles.
    We are praying that Robin will be all right. Tubby, Cracker Jack and Peanuts and the Tubby Angels are with you to give Robin Moral Support, and help in any way they can. Thats a painful and embarrasing disease for us, let alone a Poor Animal who doesnt understand whats going on.
    Prayers for Robin from All f Us at the Found Cats Hotel
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Hi Debbie, It's good to see you again! If Robin does have a UTI, I hope it will clear up without any problems. What are feeding her? Did the vet say anything about a special diet?

Robin, you must have to pee by now! Any news on the result?

Off to check your blog to see where you are. Have a great time!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    No, they're not fat pads. Like you said, she's part Norwegian Forest Cat and is big boned - those are her big bones, not fat pads So sorry the little miss won't pee for you.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

all cats have fat pads. It's part of their natural anatomy. You can feel them on their belly between their thighs.

Thanks, all.

Finally got the sample, got it to the vet and got the results back. Yep, UTI so she is on Clavamox for the next week or so. I'm sure she will be all better after that. She doesn't like the Clavamox, but doesn't fight me too much when I'm trying to give it to her.....yet anyway.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Uppydate: See http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=159497
    She has been diagnosed with Calcium Oxalate Crystals/stones. She is really doing fine - absolutely NO change in behavior at all, still her sweet silly self, but there was still blood in her urine after the course of antibiotics, so back to the vet. Good news is it's not cancer like Peanut had - just crystals - whew....I think.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012