Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What mysteries of life intrigue you? Game

What mysteries of life intrigue you? Game

I know from time to time I have questions about life that seem to go unanswered. This game presents a question to be answered by others that either know the answer or those that take the time to research the question. Once you post an answer you can submit a question. This could be something you already know the answer to , or one that you would like to know the answer. Try to be serious with your answers, not to say you can't make answering not phun. There may be several questions outstanding so you need to put the question in quotes so the next reader will know what question the answer is for. If you do not agree with an answer, it is free game to post your disapproval with a smiley and then give your answer. Remember to put the question in quotes. If there are several questions still not answered you are allowed to answer more than one. For every answer you can submit another question. Have phun with this!!

I will present several question to get use started.

1) High heels are uncomfortable and make walking more difficult. Prolonged use can injure the feet, knees and back. So why do women keep wearing them?
    2) Why does a woman's blouse button on the opposite side than a mans.?
    3) Why is snot green?
    4) Does your pet love you because of real love or because of the food and shelter you supply
    5) Why does ice float? Would there be life on our planet if it didn't?

#5 is easy. Hydrogen bonds cause water to become less dense when frozen. Lower density, it floats.

No floating ice? No life.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

" High heels are uncomfortable and make walking more difficult. Prolonged use can injure the feet, knees and back. So why do women keep wearing them?"

I have never officially researched this question. BUT, my answer would be something along the lines of a 'slave to fashion' type answer, and further clarified by my own personal observation that many women do not wear heels routinely anymore. I am in Uggs today, again. LOL.

Put it in the same category as hosiery. I am nearly brought to public comment when I see another female in court sans hosiery! But, she might think me a bit odd if I said, "wow, it is so nice to see another professional not wear hose!". I secretly think it, though.

note to all that have or will post answers you should then post a question. For every question you answer you should post a question

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    "High heels are uncomfortable XXXXXXXXXXX why do women keep wearing them"?

Because thru the years, men have convinced women that their legs look much sexier when wearing heels than when wearing flats. Now the women actually believe it!

Question:
    Why do the stars in the sky appear to "twinkle"?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Mea Culpa, Koko.

Why is it that those who can neither do nor teach end up in management?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Question:
    Why do the stars in the sky appear to "twinkle"?
    Because we have an atmosphere, so there is interference - air between us and the stars. Thankfully, of course, as we humans need to breathe!

Why is snot green?
    It isn't, unless you are sick. If your snot is clear, you have allergies, if it is could and yellow or green, your body is fighting off an infection.

To reanswer #1:
    Wearing high heels shifts a person's posture, accentuates the curve of muscles in the leg, and makes the ankle - now stretched out - appear more delicate. The posture shift causes the chest to just more forward as well as changing a person's stride to a shorter, less aggressive gait. All these things are regarded as "attractive" by society. I, however, care more about not being in pain, and so heels have never been a choice for me!

So, questions:

1. Why is common sense so uncommon?

2. Why do people think the "pouf" hairstyle is attractive?

3. How come no one has invented a personal force field so I could mingle in public and not be affected by others' perfume, hairspray or cologne, never mind things like pollen?
    I've Been Frosted

Lady's Human
    Why is it that those who can neither do nor teach end up in management?

The Peter Principle is the principle that "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence." It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of Hierarchiology", "inadvertently founded" by Peter. It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. This principle can be modeled and has theoretical validity. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out his duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence".

During WW2 why did the japanese kamikazee wear a helmet?

Karen
    Because we have an atmosphere, so there is interference - air between us and the stars. Thankfully, of course, as we humans need to breathe!
    If it was because of atmosphere why don't planets twinkle?

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    Karen If it was because of atmosphere why don't planets twinkle?
    They do, but as they are so much closer, they appear larger, and so a molecule or two us dust is not going to interfere with us seeing them, whereas stars are much further away, so appear smaller.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    4) Does your pet love you because of real love or because of the food and shelter you supply?
    I believe that when an animal loves a human, it is real love. How many times have we seen a pet devoted to a human who does not actually care for them the way they should? There are dogs who want to please their humans no matter what the humans do in return. That is just the nature of the dog. (I also know some humans like that). But you know your dog loves you just by the way he or she looks at you. It's in their soul!

I can't speak for cats because I have not (and cannot) interacted much with them because of allergies, but birds are different than dogs. You usually have to win or EARN their trust and affection. Sometimes never. I also believe that this is their nature because many birds are monogamous and bond with its mate for life. Anyone else who tries to horn in is a threat. But the affection is REAL and the joy of the relationship is true and obvious. I am the one who cares for all of our birds (feeding, cleaning, etc. My husband only gives them water in the a.m.) but our sun conure has decided that he is totally in love with Barry and there is no one else on earth that he would rather share his life with. It's a Love Thang!!

My question: Why am I expected to give my skills as a musician away for free whenever someone asks me to perform but I get paid for sitting in a chair and typing all day? Is my natural talent not worth the same as a learned skill?

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    2. Why do people think the "pouf" hairstyle is attractive?
    Karen, I'm afraid I have no answer for you except to giggle when I read this and nod my head vigorously. Are you lovin' those "bumpits" that they are selling or what?

(I hope I don't get in trouble for this!)

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Karen
    3. How come no one has invented a personal force field so I could mingle in public and not be affected by others' perfume, hairspray or cologne, never mind things like pollen?
    They have but it doesn't have that Starwars appeal, they call it a Gas Mask.
    They have been in use now for about a century. Then you might try one of these VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    "Why do people think the the pouf hairstyle is attractive"?

Because on some people - it is. Some people with "flat" hair look horrible - I for one am one of them. I don't like really pouffy hair, or really "big hair", but a little fluff and bounce looks good on most people with short hair.

Catherinedana - you're in trouble now!!!

Question: Why do you sometimes get a sharp pain behind your eye or in your temple when you eat something really cold like ice cream? And why doesn't it happen every time?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Women's clothes button on the other side because the noble women from the Mid Ages were dressed by the people waiting on them!

------------------------

Why do people go out and by new tech-like the Apple note book- when the price will go down in a year?

Speaking of hair?

Why do women newscasters go on the air with hair that gets curled and looks dirty?