Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any rat owners???

Hope....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Do you sell your rats? Cause I am considering getting a few more because I am moving with my dad and we are building a bigger cage for my girls it will be 2 story and HUGE (big enough for 2 or 3 guinie pigs) and I really love my rattie girls so I wanna add to them but I definitly want to get them from a breeder. I forget where you live though I will have to check. Probly to far away I never get lucky enough to find someone close . I really want a dumbo, I think they are so cute! O btw I couldn't access your pictures . Please remodify them cause I wanna see your rats! All of them LOL.

Ok I couldn resist! I just love this picture!!! Its of Melony and my dog Teddy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WOW! Your girls have very nice hoods, show quality hoods it looks like!

Did you happen to look at my pics? hehe. Your ratties are very cute. Now Your "grey" girl looks like a chocolate to me. Do you have any pictures of her fur close up? In rat colors, grey is called blue. If you have a blue hooded you should feel lucky. People LOVE blue hoodeds! Blues are hard to come by in most towns but in other areas are common. If she is truly a blue there are a lot of people out there who would be jealous. Anyways though, in the picture she looks to be chocolate though. Shoot, if you had a chocolate I would be jealous!

You can see what a grey or "blue" rat is by looking at my pic of Baby and Blue, the two dumbo girls. But I am digging their hoods though. They sure are cuties.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

OMG! Am I lame or what? I totally forgot that yahoo does not allow remote linking to their websites. I will re edit the post and only include the urls, which can be copied and pasted into your browser....I think. If that doesn't work let me know and I will email them to you or upload them to ImageStation or something like that.

I swear Melony is a chocolate!

Anyways, yes I sell my rats. I also ship. You can access Oh Rats! Rattery by clicking on my profile and then clicking homepage and it will take you right there. The site is in the process of being moved to another server and being jazzed up a bit but all the adoption info and prices are listed. If you are interested in something unique I will have a tailess and hairless litter in a few months. And of course, plenty of dumbos!

Ok I fixed it and just left the urls there. So just copy and paste and hopefully that will work and you can see all my rat furries!
    Last edited by luckies4me; 10-16-2002 at 01:25 PM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Melony's hood is grey. I don't know what is concidered a chocolate, but I would say she is grey, or I mean blue. My two girls are pet store rats and thats where my parents want my to purchese my next rats but I really want a Dumbo and all my pet store sells are Hooded. Yes my girls are show quility. The pet store that I bought them from breed two full breed hooded parents together and then they have babies. So they at least a pur-bred. Although Melony has spots on the side of her hood. Our pet store is weird about rats. I mean, I went in told them I wanted to buy a rat as a pet and they asked me so many questions and then let me see the parents and the babie. It was really neat. I really want to go to a reat show sometime but I don't know where they are held and if thre are any in PA. BTW. I wanted to coment on your adoption information page on your website, I love that you amke people either buy 2 rats, alreayd own one of the same sex or not let them buy one at all! I was looking around your webiste. You did a great job on it!

Ash

Do Dumbo's get to be larger then normal rats and if they do will they pick on my hooded rats?

I have been looking everywhere for a dumbo rat and I can't find one anywhere- breeder wise. All the breeders near my location either were out f dumbos or they were charging over $350.00 for them. I am not kidding! Key word OVER! They wanted about 70.00 alone for the rat, plus over 100.00 for shipping. And most of these breeders were only about 250 miles away. Oh well- WAY to expensive for me. I could see if it were a dog or something. That's just my opinon- NO OFFENSE!

" Yes my girls are show quility. The pet store that I bought them from breed two full breed hooded parents together and then they have babies. So they at least a pur-bred. Although Melony has spots on the side of her hood. "

I meant that their hoods are show quality hoods. It takes a lot of things for a "rat" to be show quality. Comming from a petstore I would say no. There are many things that go into a show quality rat. Being pedigreed does not quarantee your rat will be show quality and bring home a ribbon. Your rats hoods are very nice though. The spots on the side of her hood is a pattern referred to as variegated.

In order for any rat to place in a show there are a lot of factors the judge has to consider. Is the tail base round or square? Are the eyes bulgy? Are the ears symmetrical to the eyes. Are the nails clipped? Has the rat had a bath? How is the skin of the rat? Are a dumbos ears round or tubular?

As you can see there are a lot of things to consider when judging.

Also there is no such thing as a purebred rat. There is just simply genetics, dominant or recessive. There is no way of knowing the parents were full blooded hoodeds. A hooded can be a hooded even if one of it's parents was a berkshire and the berkshire carried hooded. Ok, now I am going to go into genetics a little bit but it will be good that you know.

Ok the genetics for hooded is hh, therfor it is a recessive trait. And here is the definition of a show quality hooded rat, this just applies to the markings though:
    "Hood to be even and cover head, throat, chest and shoulders. Hood to continue in a saddle that follows the spine all the way out on the tail. The saddle to be even, unbroken and circa 2 cm wide going as far out as possible on the tail. The white markings to be clean and without tinges and spots."
    If you bred a hooded with a hooded you will get all hoodeds, unless they both carry another recessive gene of the same type. For instance, if they both carried dumbo you would get 25% dumbo and the rest would be top eared.

If you bred an hh rat to an hh rat you would get all hh, hooded. In order to get any hoodeds both parents must have the h gene. If you bred an HH rat (a self-solid color, no white) to a hh, you would get all selfs. If a berkshire was bred to a hooded, the babies would carry the H gene. You could mate the brother and sister together and get hoodeds. Or youcan mate one of the h babies to an hh and get hoodeds also. Either way both parents need to carry an h. Do you understand. I get too into this stuff. Sorry, lol!

So there is no purebred rat though. If you bred a dominant gene carrying rat to another, you will still have that gene show and they are still that type of rat. For instance, the petstore by my house did not take a litter of dumbo babies because both parents were not dumbo. One parent carried and the other displayed. The dumbo babies were as much dumbos as babies from two dumbo parents. If you have the trait most of the time it can be passed on.

There you go, your genetics tutorial for the day!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    Do Dumbo's get to be larger then normal rats and if they do will they pick on my hooded rats?
    Ear set has nothing to do with how big a rat willget. Just because it is a dumbo does not mean it is any different than your rat, it just ahd dumbo ears. Although some people believe dumbos can be more passive. People thin this way simply because the dumbos look cuter! Dumbos can be mean just like top ears can and believe me, I have seen plenty of angry neurotic dumbos!

Weight for each rat is based on how they are fed and their background. Inbred rats are usually smaller. Some breeder rats can be huge because their is always new blood circulating. Of course bucks do get larger than does and I woud strongly suggest getting another female. Breeding is a complicated time consuming business, and at least the basic knowledge of genetics must be known. But I trust you are smart enough to know not to get a male.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    I have been looking everywhere for a dumbo rat and I can't find one anywhere- breeder wise. All the breeders near my location either were out f dumbos or they were charging over $350.00 for them. I am not kidding! Key word OVER! They wanted about 70.00 alone for the rat, plus over 100.00 for shipping. And most of these breeders were only about 250 miles away. Oh well- WAY to expensive for me. I could see if it were a dog or something. That's just my opinon- NO OFFENSE!

$70 dollars is way too much to pay for any rat! The highest I go up is $50 dollars, and that is for a pedigreed tailess show quality buck. My prices are usually between $15 and $25 depending on coat type, ear set, and color. The shipping is right though. It is very expensive to ship a rat and usually people seeking only pets will not do this. And I totally agree with you. The shipping option is usually for breeders who wish to purchase stock of a new type, such as tailess or velveteen or a new color. I am having rats shipped to me from Austraila at the end of the year. That is all the info I can give, hehe.

Anyways, shipping is indeed expensive. It is usually $20 for the crate, anwhere between $15 and $30 for a health certificate and then the cost of the rat and the fee for the airline. It costs more to fly pets in a pressure controled unit also. Not to mention the gas money to drive to the vet, the petstore for the crate and the airport. Now can you see why it cost so much?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Originally posted by luckies4me
    There you go, your genetics tutorial for the day!
    I never knew that! I always figured it was like dogs. Ya know ya breed a hooded rat to a hooded rat and ya get all hooded babies. Gee shows how much I know. But now I know, so I won't make that mistake again. And yup that all made sense. Seems I did learn something today, even though I didn't go to school. LOL.

i knew about the hoods though. I have been looking for shows in the PA area so that I can take them to them but I don't think there are any. I printed out the show quilifications for hooded rats a motnh or so ago and I have it in my room. I was told that Dumbo's always got larger then other rats because of there genes. So that is why I asked. I knew that there ear set was diffrent but I was also told they got larger then most normal rats and that you couldn't keep them with "normal" sized rats. That what I ment. I have been looking at alot of rats websites ever since I got my girls and have been interested in the diffrent breeds ever since.

Thanx for all the information!

Ash

Your welcome! I have an eyelash in my eye, darnet! OUCH!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major