Thread: $900 later

$900 later

yikes.

We've been having some plumbing issues... well pretty much since we bought this God forsaken house lol. The ongoing issue has been under the sink. We had to replace the garbage disposal and the one we got was apparently a piece of JUNK. It sounded like a lawn mower and would shake and bounce so badly I thought it was going to just take off one day. You'd swear we were trying to put rocks in the disposal.

Because of this the PVC pipes would continuously break and everything in the disposal would leak out all over the place. We've replaced pieces, puttied the CARP out of it... everything but it just couldn't hold up. plus I think that is the original piping but this has obviously been an ongoing issue in this house even before we moved in becasue under the sink the wood was completely warped.

We "fixed" it SO many times and it just kept breaking. the final straw was the last time it broke. there was water EVERYWHERE (not to mention the water also had coffee grinds and junk in it BLECH) and after we cleaned it up Brian went downstairs to start a load of laundry.

Thank GOD he noticed before he flipped on the light... the light fixture was FULL of water from the leak upstairs. so that was it. we were calling in a plumber

He came today... $900 dollars later we are at least leak free :O He tore out everything under the sink. Basically we just rebuilt under the sink.

We got a top of the line garbage disposal... this thing doesn't move a millimeter when you run it and is whisper quiet, all new brass piping and replaced the basket in the sink too because it was starting to rust and rot. and a 6 year warranty on the disposal.

If there is something funny about this whole ordeal... it was Hannah lol. I guess part of the $900 should have gone to baby sitting services lol. She just wanted to be around this guy the whole time, chatting to him and stuff. She even brought out all her coloring stuff and and set it down beside him and sat down and started coloring. I made sure she wasn't in his way or anything but it was pretty funny. and everytime he'd come in and out of the house she'd say HI... BYE... HI ... BYE. and God bless him he definitely humored her lol. I'd tell her to come out to the living room and stop bothering him but he just said "Oh it's OK... she's not bothering me" lol it was funny.

But... at least we finally don't have to worry about it anymore and it's FIXED. this has been going on for US for over a year so it's nice to have it done especially once we found it was leaking into the lights downstairs :O

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I hate that kind of stuff! My sister's home is only 9 years old and a huge beautiful 5000 square foot home, they had a leak upstairs and it was thousands of dollars worth of damage, thank god they were home, he could hear the water in the walls. They had just gotten home from a week away, thank god it didn't happen while they were gone my daughter was taking care of their house.

We have had leaks over the years on the faucet in the kitchen, we will have to do some repair work to the wood under there if we ever sale.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I hate that kind of stuff! My sister's home is only 9 years old and a huge beautiful 5000 square foot home, they had a leak upstairs and it was thousands of dollars worth of damage, thank god they were home, he could hear the water in the walls. They had just gotten home from a week away, thank god it didn't happen while they were gone my daughter was taking care of their house.

We have had leaks over the years on the faucet in the kitchen, we will have to do some repair work to the wood under there if we ever sale.
    yeah it's terrible and when it happens... it's EXPENSIVE.

but this is something we just could not put off any longer.

But we had a similar issue to the one your sister had although it was downstairs but basically the main water source to the house... the valve busted and water was just POURING out. Thank GOD not only were we HOME but we had been turning it off at night because our tub faucet was leaking badly. Well it was so erroded that after a few times of turning it off and on it sprung a leak. and the plumber said it was on it's last leg anyway and about to bust anytime so thank GOD we had the tub leak and we were using the main valve or it could have happened while we were away or something :O and it would have filled up the basement in no time

Oh... my.... GODDD...... So glad you were able to get this fixed before anything really bad happened.

$900 , but now you won't have to worry about that again for a LONG time. Well done!

And that's just so sweet, about Hannah and the plumber!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Yeah the water leaking into the light fixture really scared us lol.

and I have to say that it was hilarious and cute seeing Hannah taking to the plumber like that. I wasn't able to get it done while she was at daycare yesterday so she was home with me and she was just so hilarious but I didn't let her get in the way but she was pretty good about not getting up in his business and doing her thing at the edge of his "work sheet" lol

Did you ever consider just trashing the garbage disposal? LOL!
    I got rid of mine after being told by a plumber that most of his clogged pipe calls came from disposals. They are not great for the whole pipe system, and if you compost (coffee grounds are great for that), so much stuff doesn't even make it into the pipes(or land fills). Plus you save on water used to wash it all down and run it for 30 seconds.

I am cheap!

Good job getting this corrected so everything -- and every one -- is safe!

I just love the Hannah - and - the - plumber story!

Water can do a LOT of damage and with that old garbage disposal, I would have just tore that out and got rid of that if it caused all those problems and taken that back to the store and got my money back...

Great that you finally got it all fixed up at any costs.

Hannah sounds like she is a flirt and was flirting with the plumber..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Did you ever consider just trashing the garbage disposal? LOL!
    I got rid of mine after being told by a plumber that most of his clogged pipe calls came from disposals. They are not great for the whole pipe system, and if you compost (coffee grounds are great for that), so much stuff doesn't even make it into the pipes(or land fills). Plus you save on water used to wash it all down and run it for 30 seconds.

I am cheap!
    Yes, I agree with you there. Casey was my garbage disposal until she went to the Rainbow Bridge.

I aggree as well with Pat..
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Oh... my.... GODDD...... So glad you were able to get this fixed before anything really bad happened.

$900 , but now you won't have to worry about that again for a LONG time. Well done!

And that's just so sweet, about Hannah and the plumber!

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I didn't really think of getting rid of the disposal all together actually lol. You know back home NO ONE had disposals. they were very few and far between. here in Lancaster county... they are like standard issue. I swear every home has one. so now it's like just a way of life for me and didn't consider just losing the thing all together.

The plumber said the pipes we had were just barely hanging on lol which was obvious. they definitely all needed to be replaced. It was to the point where I was sure one day the whole pipe system under there was just going to fall off haha. I like how sturdy the brass pipes are though. The old ones I could grab and shake them myself... these ones I can't.

LOL yes Hannah is a flirt... but more than that she is a copy cat. She copies everything people are doing around her. I figured I was going to have to wrestle her to keep her from trying to look under the sink while he was working HAHA but she didn't. I guess she could see what he was doing from where she was sitting

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post

LOL yes Hannah is a flirt... but more than that she is a copy cat. She copies everything people are doing around her. I figured I was going to have to wrestle her to keep her from trying to look under the sink while he was working HAHA but she didn't. I guess she could see what he was doing from where she was sitting

Hannah just probably thought the plumber was "company" that she
    wanted to entertain.

Oh, disposals are standard in all newer houses here, but I don't use them
    myself.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Hannah just probably thought the plumber was "company" that she
    wanted to entertain.

Oh, disposals are standard in all newer houses here, but I don't use them
    myself.
    LOL that's probably what it was. Always has to be the entertainment

yeah I've never seen a disposal in every house until I moved here. Took me a while to even start using it and now it's such a habit that when it was out of order I had to make an effort not to stuff anything down there lol

In all my years as a builder here in Aussieland, I had yet to find a decent plumber.......I'm sure they got their trade licence in a pub somewhere.
    Soooooo....I just added it to my list of trades to learn, and never ever had one call back or complaint. I wouldn't give an Aussie plumber $1, let alone $900.
    Wom