Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOSTON: Cerebellar Hypoplasia kittens need homes

BOSTON: Cerebellar Hypoplasia kittens need homes

From the MSPCA's web site (on a page about Nubbins, a kitten with no back feet who just got adopted) - http://www.mspca.org/about-us/press-...or-kitten.html :

"The MSPCA is currently caring for several animals with impairments including a litter of kittens showing signs of Cerebellar Hypoplasia – a neurologic disorder caused by an infection of Panleukopenia in the pregnant mother (this causes the kittens to be born with underdeveloped cerebella, the part of the brain that controls balance and fine motor movement). The kittens will be further evaluated, diagnosed and have been placed in foster care to learn how to walk."

In other words, they have trouble walking and balancing. But they adapt quite well (after all, they don't know there is any other way to get around). A CH cat should have a controlled environment to some extent; shouldn't have access to stairs because of the balance difficulty.. best with carpeted floors, depending on how severe the mobility trouble is.

This is a neurological condition they are born with; otherwise they are as healthy or not as any other cat and don't require any more vet care than any other cat would.

Do any of you know of anyone who might be able and willing to adopt one or more of these guys? I e-mailed a friend there to see if we could find out how many there are, how old they are, and how disabled they are.

I have two Cerebellar Hypoplasia boys myself: Elmer (from our Mosaic shelter here) and Bob (from Grand Rapids, whom I learned about from the same rescuers from whom I learned about Nubbins).

My CH boy Elmer is long and thin and tubular and has very long legs on which he gets around like he's on stilts. In motion, he looks like a little fawn or colt.. or a short-necked giraffe! My other CHer Bob is built like an ordinary cat and has a harder time getting around.. as he walks, his middle and rear end sort of sway, and he falls over onto his side often. He then gets himself up and carries on.

They both do just fine and are very happy cats! My apartment, only two rooms, is on one floor and has wall-to-wall carpet (except for kitchenette and bathroom).

Thank you very much, and much love,
    Pat

Elmer being adorable:

Bob being adorable:
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Awww, I am of course nearby, but have such an extreme cat allergy that my doctor strictly forbids kitties in my home.
    I've Been Frosted

Aw Pat, I do hope that these little luvvies find good homes soon. My Creamsicle wants them to be as happy as she is.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you, Mary. I hope these little ones find wonderful homes, like Creamsicle and Elmer and Bob did, too.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Awee I wish I was closer.. My Heart & Home is always Open for these Precious CH Babies.. As I have Five = Taccoa {Elmer's SweetHeart}, Harley, Zolene, Butterscotch & Marley.. As I say they are God's Gifted Wittle Babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Thank you, Mary. I hope these little ones find wonderful homes, like Creamsicle and Elmer and Bob did, too.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I am trying to find out more about them.. how many there are, what they are like, and how handicapped they are. I hear they are being fostered now.

If any of you knows of any other rescue groups to pass this information on to, please do!

Thanks,
    Pat
    Death thought about it.

If anyone needs help with transportation I'll help out.

Melissa

I would guess Tx is out of the question.. I wish we could get Pilots-N-Paws to help here.. I think they only fly out of & into certain states..

<Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I know some people who organize transports of that sort. I don't know if Boston to Texas would be too far or not.
    Death thought about it.

Let me check the Web Site of Pilots-N-Paws & see what their locations of flight into & out are..

Pat I have found a lady pilot that our company {in aviation} supports her airplane & she supports Pilots-N-Paws.. Now I need to know the location of the babies.. Are they in foster at Boston or where?? Then I will work with Patty of a go or not..
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I know some people who organize transports of that sort. I don't know if Boston to Texas would be too far or not.

Hi Helene, they are being fostered somewhere in the Boston area through the Mass. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA). Website is http://www.mspca.org/ .

The CH kittens are mentioned as follows on this page of the website, about a home being found for a kitten born without back feet! (http://www.mspca.org/about-us/press-...or-kitten.html):

"The MSPCA is currently caring for several animals with impairments including a litter of kittens showing signs of Cerebellar Hypoplasia – a neurologic disorder caused by an infection of Panleukopenia in the pregnant mother (this causes the kittens to be born with underdeveloped cerebella, the part of the brain that controls balance and fine motor movement). The kittens will be further evaluated, diagnosed and have been placed in foster care to learn how to walk."

I can't find anything more on the site about the CH kittens. Probably your best bet to learn more would be to contact them directly and say you are interested in them:

MSPCA-Angell Headquarters
    350 South Huntington Avenue
    Boston, MA 02130
    phone: (617) 522-7400
    For questions: [email protected]

Boston Animal Care and Adoption Center
    350 South Huntington Ave.
    Boston, MA 02130
    (617) 522-5055
    Death thought about it.

Yes yesterday I joined the Group Pilots-N-Paws & I have them checking into MSPCA for the babies.. Pilots-N-Paws {Each Pilot} will only Fly 200-300-500 leggs.. Meaning miles of flight.. They will work like ground transports do.. I have found pilots to travel from Dallas to SC.. Now we are trying to get from there to Boston.. Then the pilots will fly in reverse back to certain airports.. Its like a relay team.. Then we have Foster homes Everywhere for if a plane lands & due to weather cant go the rest of the way.. Then they will look to find a foster for the night or so..

Any updates on the CH kitties???
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

New York City for years, Ohio now. Go me!
    Our shelter always takes special needs cats, and we do many out-of-state rescues. We're in Youngstown, Ohio, and we will take these guys if transportation can be arranged.
    www.catladiessociety.com
    FONT=Comic Sans MS]Share the love - Adopt a cat![/FONT]