Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diabetes in Cats

Quote Originally Posted by TommyCat View Post
    Hi Moesha,
    Thanks for the above info on Nine Lives Tuna Select. Did you keep Morgan on some of the Canned DM Purina, or was he eating totally Nine Lives tuna? Maggie loves tuna, so I bet she would like it. It's amazing when they don't mind the shots if they know they can have something good to eat afterwards.
    Morgan never would eat the canned DM. I did try to vary his canned food on occasion, but like I said, he didn't really get much of it at all anyway. One can lasted him 4 or 5 days at least. I was a stingy mom! LOL

Here is a link to the website with the food charts. There are some varieties of Fancy Feast that are listed as high protein/low carbs. If you click on that Janet and Binky link, and then you have links to canned and dry chart tables. That's where I came up with the 9 lives select tuna. Each kitty is different and I'm sure you'll find what works best for you and your kitty. Keep us posted.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Thanks Moesha for the link. That is great, and I am glad to see some of the Fancy Feast is on it. Yes, the DM can I open for Maggie lasts a long time for her, too. She gets 3/4 FF and 1/4 DM right now. Thank you and thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and support. Her appetite isn't lacking, so I know soon I will find something she likes. I am going to try the Nine Lives tomorrow.

Hi Moesha,
    Some good news with Maggie and food. I bought a 4 pack of the Nine Lives Tuna Select, and she really likes it as long as it's fresh from the can. Once it's refrigerated, she's a little picky. I can return the DM to the Vet, but I will still try to sneak some in to see if she's changed her mind and just give it one more chance. I bought a glucose monitor yesterday and thought I'd learn how to do some in-home monitoring. I'll still take her to the Vet weekly.

That is good news. Perhaps you could let it sit on the counter for a little while to warm back up or even put it in the microwave for just a few seconds to take the chill off of it. Your Maggie is certainly in very good hands!

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Thanks Moesha. She has been good with the insulin shot. I'll try leaving it on counter before feeding. I tried a little warm water, but she left most of it. She's still getting a little of the Fancy Feast. I need to go back on that link and check out different FF's. She likes the gourmet (ground) which isn't listed.

Calloway's favorite was to get a treat of the babyfood while he was getting his shot. The sweetheart actually jumped up on the window seat in the kitchen when he heard the jar lid pop, and would meow until he got his babyfood, lol. Gave him the babyfood, and the shot and he was a happy boy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh that's right, the baby food; thank you. You had mentioned in a previous post that it worked for your cat, and I didn't forget about that suggestion. I have that in mind, too, for her.

My friends cat was diagnosed to be diabetic. She fed him dry Wellness, I don't know which kind, it is in a red bag. She stopped his insulin when her life turned upside down with the death of her husband. I watched him for her for four months and he never had a relapse. He also actually lost a pound while in my care. I have no clue how since he was mostly confined to one bedroom.

I wish you luck with your diabetic kitty. I always thought I could never give shots, but I had to do much worse than that with my RB Taz. I had to give him sub-q fluids, so now giving a shot is a breeze for me. Yes, when it's your babies health at stake you will do things you never thought you could.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Hi Taz_Zoee,
    That was so sweet of you and a gift of love to step in and care for your friend's cat for her. I'm sorry about your RB Taz. My Vet did say sometimes a cat can go into remission, so I'm hoping and praying. I know what you mean about doing things for a beloved pet. My other cat died over a year ago of cancer, and I was giving him subq fluids, with some difficulty. So this needle is a breeze in comparison. I will have to ask about the dry food next Vet visit. Originally, her Vet said no dry, canned only, but Maggie is always looking for her dry kibbles.
    Thanks again.