Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foot care?

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    my boyfriend has the same problem. Pumice stones after showering did help a bit, but it got old real quick (especially since I was the one who had to do it for him).
    Now, THAT is love!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I am not a snob by any means but that drugstore crud is most likely not helping you at all! Dump it and try something else.
    OMG, Snob? NO, those are your feet, I have learned that you have to take care of them!

Here's the problem.

I was removing some of the calluses before I took a shower.

I did that and put the cream on my feet aftER. It got into the exposed 'wounds' and GOD DID THAT HURT!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Thats why I was thinking vaseline may be better, no perfume, sometimes when my skin is really dry and I put some bath and body scented lotions on it burns like heck!

Take care and go to the doc and make sure you don't have any circulation problems. I worried about that with my foot surgery since I am overweight but the wounds did heal up pretty good.

I don't think you are overweight but not to stereotype but it seems like diabetes(sp) is more common in folks of Mexican heritage...at least my hispanic friend is paranoid about that.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Stay away from the dollar store lotions - they're junk.

I've used Bag Balm and it does a decent job.

Vaseline works very good. Slather it on and put on a pair of white crew socks before you go to bed. It might be a little too heavy for you to use during the day tho.

I use Gold Bond Ultimate Healing. It contains aloe and vitamins A, C & E - not greasy and penetrates fast. I have trouble in the winter with my fingers cracking in the corners by the fingernail. I use New-Skin liquid bandage on them, since they are quite painful - then I put the lotion on my hands.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Is the bag balm, bitter balm or other products suggested greasy? I know the vasoline is, but wondered about the others. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Is the bag balm, bitter balm or other products suggested greasy? I know the vasoline is, but wondered about the others. Thanks!
    Bag Balm has petroleum jelly in it, which is fairly greasy IMO, and also lanolin. I'm allergic to lanolin but used Bag Balm years ago w/out any problem. The lanolin allergy came later so I don't know if I can still use it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

There is actually a cream out there specifically for cracked heels, darn if I can remember the name of it right now though. When I worked in the hair salon (24 years ago) and had cracked hands in the winter time from all the washing, chemicals and cold dry air I used to slather up my hands with diaper rash cream and put on gloves at bed time.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I am allergic to lanolin too but vaseline is very good. I was told by my podiatrist that before going to bed, to slather on vaseline after drying my washed feet and then to wrap my feet in cling film bfore putting on dry soft socks . Leave it on till morning. It worked much better than just vaseline alone!

I am diabetic too and cracked heels are a definite symptom sad to say. Sometimes the cracking is caused by a fungal infection (NOT athletes foot though) and I have used a cream called tretinoin on my feet which cleared the cracks in days!

Good luck getting rid of them because I know how painful it can be.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I get that same thing with the skin by my nails cracking and does it HURT. It's always on my right hand, too. Can't wear bandages because then I don't have any dexterity. I like NexCare; NuSkin has acetone in it and it burns like heck when you apply it.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    I get that same thing with the skin by my nails cracking and does it HURT. It's always on my right hand, too. Can't wear bandages because then I don't have any dexterity. I like NexCare; NuSkin has acetone in it and it burns like heck when you apply it.
    When I worked in a file room I had hang nails like mad!

I took Dermicel tape (sp?)- the plastic tape that use in ER/hospitals-and used that. Because you can peel off the width of the tape that you need? I could take 1/4 inch strips-about three inches long- and wrap them around my my fingers mid-nail.

It left me with enough 'feel' on my fingertips and protected my hangnails from getting worse.

As the day goes on the end of the tape begins to 'fray' -the tape is perforated so you can just peel off the end and toss it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    There is a product called "Zim's Crack Cream" (I kid you not - that's really the name - and used to get a lot of laughs where I worked) - it was developed by a pharmacist originally for use by cement workers.

Some people swear by it, but it really did nothing exceptional for me, and I think I've tried about all the remedies. Hot paraffin wax feels good, but isn't very long lasting IMO. I'll stick with the Gold Bond until I find something that works better.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

the coconut cream is greasy, and do use old socks, mainly white gym socks with the cream.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Quote Originally Posted by joycenalex View Post
    mainly white gym socks with the cream.
    And what happens after LABOR DAY?

Richard,
    how are your feet? And I don't think the fashion police w/ get you if you wear white socks after labor day. I won't tell

Quote Originally Posted by 3Catcondo View Post
    Richard,
    how are your feet? And I don't think the fashion police w/ get you if you wear white socks after labor day. I won't tell
    Better, thanks for asking!

I have done the Vaseline thing and it's made them softer. I have an ancient jar that I remembered having.

I am going to Target tomorrow to see what they have.

I slept sans socks last night for the first time in a while, that was strange!

I found out something interesting about sleeping with socks on.

I woulld wake up with my feet jammed into the toes of my socks.

I buy the 6-8 packs of 'heel-toe' socks from Target- So, I decided to try tube socks in the super giant size?

Much much better! more room and the length keeps my calves warm!