Thread: Gardening??

Gardening??

DO we have any gardeners here??
    I would love to have pictures of garden ponds if anyone has any .I have on and a creek that i made but i am having a hard time keeping up the pond,can any one give ideas on how to decorate it??
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

I think a pond is pretty hard to maintain - good for you for trying! So is the pond part of the creek, or a seperate thing?

THe creek and pond are separte...The pond took almost all day and 5 people.....The creeek I did my self and took about 20 minutes,its really simple to make.....
    Kayla

FCR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)

But where does the water come from?

Our yard is very hilly, but when it gets very hot out, water sometimes seeps out onto one of the bigger rocks in the hill - not a stream, just the rockface is wet.

My Pond fills up with rain water,I did have a waterfall in it,but the dogs kept getting into it and oneday my GSD slid into my brother and my brother fell in and knocked the water fall over so i dicided i would make a fountain.the pond is just a small decoative pond,but was veryyyy hard to put in.i dont have my fountain some times so when the water gets low i hook up the sprinkleer to the hose and set it on a brick in the middle of the pond and from the road it looks like a little fountain.....

Kayla

FCR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)

Lut has a pond; it's beautiful!! Maybe she'll she this; or PM her!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I have a 160 gallon pond in my bedroom.
    What wildlife do u have in the pond?
    Do u have a filter??

The water needs to be changed on a reg. bases unless u want it to get smelly & kill the fish (if u have any).

I made a filter for my pond, I used an old tuperware container, put heavey rocks in the bottom of it,, a screen on the top & filter fluffy stuff on top, held on my sewing thread. A tube is attatched to the bottom side of it (the end of the tude is in the middle of the container. I use a pump that is ment for a 600 gallon pond, to help keep it super clean since I have a snapping turtle & many goldfish in mine (& I don't want a smelly bedroom either). & my filter is cleaned every 2 or 3 days.

I don't use chemicals (except for ick medication becuase when u get feeder goldfish they r always sick & will die with in a few hours if u don't add the ick medication).

If u get goldfish, remember they r very dirty fish, & produce alot of waste so a good filter would be needed & changing the water at least once a month, more often is a bit better.

For pond goldfish use floating pellets, they produce less waste since the fish have more time to eat them, the flakes sink to the bottom to quickly & I find they make the water smell bad after a while.

Hmmmm... I feed my goldfish from once a day to 3 times a day, but I don't feed them too much at once. If u find u put way too much in the pond, take the leftover out, because the dye from the food will change the water & my dye rocks & other stuff in there. My turtle was once dyed pink (or a light red), my soon to be thought it would be a smart thing to over feed the fish. Boy did I let the Aqua store have a piece of him. They told him to stop that, because it was poluting the water & smelling up my room... heheh.. men, can't live with them & can live without... sheesh...

Oh & having a small heater wont hurt, I keep a little one in my pond incase something got too cold, so all the fish or turtle had to do was swim over to it & stay near it & they would get warm.

Any more qusetions I could help with ???

I saw it TATSXXX !! LOL !

We have a large pond , indead ! It contains about 50,000 liter of tap water !! There are at least 60 fish in there . We are not sure how many , as some had lil ones this summer !!!

Go and see the pond and the fish on my web-site !

I was at our local library yesterday, and it had a few books on water garden design by Helen Nash. She's American so the designs, specifications etc will be applicable to your climate. There were some really nice ponds.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I have a 160 gallon pond in my bedroom<>WOW!!! thats big!!My pond is lil and so is my creek,i have to clean them soon,i put a little bit of bleach in it to kill out bugs and keep it clean,it works really good

We have a large pond , indead ! It contains about 50,000 liter of tap water !! There are at least 60 fish in there . We are not sure how many , as some had lil ones this summer !!!

Go and see the pond and the fish on my web-site !<>My my i wish i had a pond that big and beautiful!and all the fish!!im doing a japaneese garden and its the one with the lil creek in it and i would love to get japaneeze fish but its way too small for it because its a lil tiny ole thing and its got a tiny tiny tiny pond at the end of it.......
    and it had a few books on water garden design by Helen Nash. She's American so the designs, specifications etc will be applicable to your climate. There were some really nice ponds.<>i will have to look her book(S) up at the library i love to see pictures of ponds.....

My favorite gardens are Japaneeze gardens,i went to one in Dallas Tx with my grams and gramps it was beautiful got to go

KAy

FCR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)

I have a pond & waterfall, here is a picture. Not a good picture because you can't really see the pond, but where the little wooden bridge is, that's where the water is.

The dark rocks above it is the waterfall, we just run a hose from one corner up to the top, and a pump moves the water through.

We don't have any fish, the pond freezes solid up here in the winter. At night, the area is lit nicely with landscape lighting, and we put a light in the water and another highlighting the courses in the waterfall.

I haven't put plants in it for a few years - some plants (water hyacinth and water lettuce in particular) take over, and this pond isn't too big - it's about 180 gallons or so. Plus the bridge covers a lot of the surface, so I just leave it water.

It is very relaxing to sit by the pond and listen to the water running. My 3 dogs never bother it (but you might be able to see some dog spots in the lawn - ).

I used to have it fenced off from the dogs, and it had no grass - it was surrounded by plants, but we took out the fence and put sod in last year, for a simpler look.

It is some work, but we have a filter (it has a name - but I forgot what kind of filter it is) and the pump keeps stuff moving.

Lots of urban wildlife come in and drink - squirrels, rabbits, raccoons (I never see the coons, but the neighbor says they come in at 4 AM usually), chipmunks, birds. Our yard is fenced for the dogs, otherwise we'd probably get deer drinking from it too.

Beautiful...where did you get the statue?!(blue thing)

Kay

FCR

PS...wish my pond was pretty like the ones i have seen..im going to work on it this weekend....

~Kay&Chewy~

FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)

The statue was here when we bought the house - the pond was here too. I can tell the previous owners made it in a Japanese style. They had let it get totally overgrown - we knew there was a concrete pond there (full of large rocks) but a juniper had overgrown the waterfall, and we didn't even know that it was there until we started cutting the junipers back.

The statue is made out of concrete, and it has a light fixture inside - it looks really cool when the light is on. It was originally black, but we had to repaint it because it was all chipped and peeling.

O neat.....I have two tiny ones like that except they dont have a light in them,they where only like three dollars,thats neat that the pond was there when you moved in,i wished mine was.it was hard putting in the pond i dont know how many times in ended up in the hole we where putting the pond in...

Kay

FCR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)