Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My kitty just diagnosed w/ CRF - need advice & prayers

I know what you are talking about. Filou gets his fluids at the vet's only- for 4,5 years now every week. He is a very energetic wiggle worm but at the vet's he is a little bit intimidated which helps.
    But even there once in a while he insists on pulling the syringe out.
    He is good these days- active and naughty. So it's all worth while.
    Good luck for Blacky- that he may be a fighter and survivor like Filou.

Hi,
    I was reading your thread on giving fluids to Blackie. I had to give fluids to my precious Siamese Tommy kitty who crossed the RB in 2008. He had intestinal cancer and also some renal disease but not severe renal. He also got impatient with me, as I made some mistakes with getting the fluid into him until I got the hang of it. What I did was give him the fluids wherever he was resting. He had a favorite chair right by my patio window where he loved to sunbathe. I put a nail in the wall and hung the bag there and gave him the fluids. This may not be easy or work for you. I live in an apartment, so it was easy to just pound a nail in the wall. I know it's not easy. More than a few times I felt like driving to the Vet and having them do it, but he would get so upset at the Vet and would hiss and growl and fight them that I hated to put him thru it. Good luck to you and your precious Blackie.

Two more sub-Q treatments under our belt since my last post... and it's starting to get better. David and I are both confident in the whole process... and clearly know what each of our roles is. Blackie is still a fighter but he seems to be giving in a little bit and "sitting" long enough for us to finish. The last couple of times he cooperated long enough for only 150 ccs in... but today we got the full 200 ccs in! Afterwards, he's resilient, active and in a good mood... especially when we give him his favorite wet food. Thank goodness!

Overall, Blackie is doing great...lots of energy and eating well (he seems to have put a little weight back on) and his coat is shiny again. We go back to the vet in 2 weeks for a monthly blood panel.

Thanks for all your encouraging words and support! Couldn't have done it without you.

Purrs,
    Lisa

Wonderful! We knew you could do it! Sounds like all of you, especially Blackie, are getting the routine down.

Please give Blackie some tummy rubs for me.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

This post made me very happy. I hope Blackie just gets better and better!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

What great news!!! Knew you could do it!!!! YEA!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

See there? Just a little more confidence and practice and voila! Good for you!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hi there -

Just an update for you all! Blackie had his one-month follow-up exam today with blood panel. I'm happy to report that Blackie is... according to our vet... truly a "miracle kitty." His BUN and creatinine numbers have dropped significantly... to a more acceptable, almost NORMAL level. Numbers are now 39 and 2.15, - originally 138 and 11.3. WOW! He's also gained 1 pound! I'm crying tears of joy tonight. We'll go back in a month to monitor, but we're off the Sub-Qs now (hallelujah!). We had tapered off to once a week recently as that was all our feisty Blackie would allow (he is STRONG)... and we saw no negative effects from it. So, we're off the fluids completely and will monitor accordingly. We'll just keep up with the moist and healthy diet. He's doing so well... back to his old self.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that he holds strong for many months/years to come. Thanks to you all for your great encouragement and advice.

Purrs,
    Lisa
    Last edited by Ladybug70; 02-24-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Hooray for Blackie! And you.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

This is wonderful news!!! I hope that he'll be happy and healthy for many more years to come.

That's great news all 'round!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Isn't it wonderful
    This development is not so surprising in the beginning of renal failure. However he will need regular bloodwork to see how the levels develop. But anyway- his life span is now years to come

I am very happy for you and Blackie, may his good health continue.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Hey there -

UPDATE: One month later - Blackie's blood results are still good! BUN and Creatinine are still "high normal" but haven't changed in past month and are in acceptable range. Vet wants us to keep him on his special diet, but we don't have to resume SubQs (he's been off them for over a month and doing great - thank goodness!). Next blood panel not due until July! Yay! In meantime, his teeth/gums need some work, big time! So we'll get him in next month for some cleaning so that infection doesn't spread. Poor guy never catches a break. ;-)

Thanks again for all your advice and support over the last few months.

Purrs,
    Lisa

Lisa, what great news!! May it continue!!
    Nine is Fine!!