Thread: How much to charge for creating a website?

How much to charge for creating a website?

So this is rather random but I found this place that would be awesome for a wedding/reception...but it's more money then I can afford (it's probably really actually very reasonable for a wedding, but I'm poor) but they don't have a website. They could really use a website as I was only able to get their phone number through asking around I couldn't find anything about it on the internet. I talked to the lady today about possibly getting a discount in return for creating a website for them. She asked how much I would charge and I really don't have a clue. So what is the average cost of a small website? Keep in mind I'm no professional, I just took a class on dreamweaver last semester I still can't do anything fancy. Here's the site I did there's still a bunch of stuff I want to fix before I really use it http://www.amyquarnberg.com I could definitely design a site and include basics like a gallery and contact info though, enough to give them some business, get them a .com, etc.

Hey Amy, I looked at your website, you have Anna and Rosie in there. Thank you for including them. I still miss them so much. I have seen prices go from $700-$2,000. It really depends on how much skills you have with website design. Hope that helped!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

It can vary so much. It depends on what the site consists of and it depends on your experience. Two things stuck out at me- it's a "small website" and you're "not a professional". A lot of professionals can easily charge between $50-$100+ per hour, but they're professionals. For a non-professional to make a small website, I'd say a fair charge would probably be $200-$500 total. I can't remember what my husband charged when he started out, he's always charged hourly though. My brother-in-law was just starting out a couple years ago and he was charging a blanket rate of $400 for small sites.

Good luck, I hope you can get a portion of the price knocked off. By the way, I like your site!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla