Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Update...Finally

Baby Update...Finally

Hi everyone. It has been a wonderful 12 days since the birth of my darling baby boy, and I am finally getting a chance to share his birth story with you all.

I did not mention this on PT, but late in my pregnancy, around the 29th week, I developed itching all over my body. I brought this to the attention of my doctor, who immediately had me go in for a blood test to check my bile acid level. It was slightly elevated, and indicated that I had a mild case of cholestasis of pregnancy. This happens to some people in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, and is caused by the pregnancy hormones interfering with the normal bile flow of the body. There is a slight increase in the risk of stillbirth with this condition after 37 or 38 weeks, and because of that, most doctors schedule an induction at 37 weeks for pregnant women who are dealing with it. Because of that risk, my doctor had scheduled my induction for the 26th of December, which was the day I completed 37 weeks.

Anyhow...the story begins...

On the 25th, Friday afternoon, I had to go to the hospital for some gel application which would soften my cervix and prepare my body for induction the next day. I was supposed to be sent home that evening, and had to return the next day for the induction. God had other plans...

When I went in, the nurse came in to check me and said, "Wait a minute...you don't need the gel..." When I asked her what she meant, she said, "You are already in labor, nearly 4cm dialated, almost in active labor, and having contractions every 4 minutes." "WHAT?!?"

I seriously had no idea. I never felt the contractions, and had no idea I was already close to 4 cm. She also mentioned that they might not even have to induce me at all. I was already on my way to having our little boy.

I was not allowed to go home that night. The nurse came back to check me after 2 hours, and I was 5 cm, and the contractions had increased to every 3 minutes. Things were going pretty well. I still didn't feel a thing. My husband was with me, and called my family to let them know I was going to have the baby that night. My parents and brother came immediately. I was in active labor, yet sitting and chit chatting with my family, laughing, feeling nothing at all. It was truly such a blessing from God to get through that much of the labor without feeling a thing. The nurse was monitoring my contractions and had to keep telling me when I was having one because I couldn't feel it.

Then, my blood pressure began to creep up. It got pretty bad and they had to put me on some blood pressure medication through the IV. Because of my high blood pressure, they felt it was important to speed up my labor, so at 6cm, the doctor broke my water, and gave me a very small dose of pitocin to get things moving. It was an hour after the pitocin that my contractions started to get stronger, and I started to feel them. Initially, I JUST felt them, but slowly, it began to get somewhat painful. By the time I was 7cm dialated, the contractions were very painful, and just a minute - 2 apart. I didn't want to go through too much pain, so after an hour of feeling uncomfortable, I requested the epidural. The moment they gave me the epidural, it was lovely again. The pain was gone. I went from 7cm to 10cm without feeling any additional pain. After reaching 10cm, they waited about an hour or so for the baby to drop. Finally, it was time to push. I had my family leave the room, and just had my husband, a nurse, and the doctor with me at that time. It took about 1.5 hours after that for our baby to arrive. By then, it was nearly 3am, on the 26th.

I will never forget how I felt the first moment I heard my child cry as he entered this world. I will never forget looking up at the doctor holding him, and then seeing him quiet down the moment she put him on my chest. I looked into his eyes, and he looked into mine. I couldn't stop the tears of joy from flowing out of my eyes. I won't ever forget looking at my husband and seeing the tears of joy in his eyes. It was such an emotional moment, one that I know we will cherish in our memories for life.

We stayed two days at the hospital before we were sent home. Baby was 6 pounds, 2 ounces, and in our eyes, the cutest baby in the world. He has been such a joy the past 12 days. We had a few difficult nights at the beginning, but he is already sleeping 4-5 hours straight in the night now. We feel so blessed to have him.

My husband had taken 2 weeks off from work and will be going back this Monday. My heart is already breaking thinking about him going back to work. It has been great with him at home, and he's been helping out so much. My parents have also been such a big help. This baby stuff is all so new to us, and we would've been lost without them the first few days.

My mom is playing with her grandbaby now, so I got a moment for the computer, but I'm going to go off again. I need to go play with the tiels before the baby needs my attention again. Poor babies have been feeling a little neglected, because I can't devote ALL my time to them right now while I'm trying to adjust with a child, but I'm doing my best, and know it will get better once we settle down. Muffin seems to 'know' what the baby is, and keeps coming out of her cage to look at him. Popcorn is a carefree bird and while he may have noticed, as always, he doesn't show that he cares there's someone new in the house. He just continues to go about his business, singing and dancing all day long.

AWWWW! I loved reading your story. I've never had a child, and to read about your first eye contact with your new love was wonderful.

And he is sleeping 4-5 hours straight? At least you get a long nap.

Congratulations again - I hope you are feeling well. Looking forward to pics when your schedule gets settled.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Wow, that is amazing that you couldn't feel your contractions. That's exactly what happened to me...until they broke my water, then I could feel them all too well. But every centimeter you can get through without feeling it is a HUGE blessing! I loved reading about when you first held him...its such an amazing moment! Get lots of rest when you can and enjoy this time that he is an itty bitty baby...it goes all too fast in the scheme of things!

Thanks for updating us with your wonderful story. I'm glad that everything went smoothly and that your baby boy is already sleeping 4-5 hours straight. Congrats again and I look forward to seeing some pictures of him in the future.

Pssst, does baby have a name? I think it's funny that Muffin likes to check out her new skin brother, but Popcorn doesn't care! It's not a bird treat, so hey, why pay attention?

Give the new little one a kiss from us, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Yes i was wondering the same thing, so have you chosen your son's name yet? will we get to see any pics? glad all went well and baby is doing so good, nice to hear from you, as we sure can appreciate just how busy you are these days.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I am so proud of you, Poppy! You done good, with Gods help. I am so glad you did not have to feel so much pain.

What is your baby's name? I know you picked out a good one.

Enjoyed your wonderful story of the birth of your baby!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Way to go! You sound like a natural!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

That's such a great story! Thank you for sharing it with us. He sounds perfect!

I agree with the others, we need a name for your little chickadee, at least a PT nickname.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Thanks everyone. Yes, our baby boy does have a name, though I am not sure how comfortable I feel about sharing my child's personal information all over the web. His name starts with an M, so you can call him Baby M on PT.

As for pictures, I'm still thinking about it. :d

For those of you who nursed your babies, I'd love to hear of your experiences. I have a feeling I am not nursing in a proper position, and have developed pretty bad back pain because of that. It is making nursing very difficult, but I'm trying to hang in there because I know my milk is what's best for my child, and I want to so my best to give him what he needs.

Anyone else experienced back pain postpartum? What can I do to relieve the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by popcornbird View Post
    Thanks everyone. Yes, our baby boy does have a name, though I am not sure how comfortable I feel about sharing my child's personal information all over the web. His name starts with an M, so you can call him Baby M on PT.

For those of you who nursed your babies, I'd love to hear of your experiences. I have a feeling I am not nursing in a proper position, and have developed pretty bad back pain because of that. It is making nursing very difficult, but I'm trying to hang in there because I know my milk is what's best for my child, and I want to so my best to give him what he needs.

Anyone else experienced back pain postpartum? What can I do to relieve the pain?

Congratulations on your new budle of joy.

I found that a recliner worked the best for me for nursing, its worth the money to buy one really I was up in that chair all the time through illnesses and sleepless nights for years. (not trying to scare you)

We had an old recliner that worked great and my elbow could rest on the arm of it perfectly to hold the babies head up.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Popcornbird, is there a lactation consultant that you can get in touch with through your hospital? We had one (sort of) and she was absolutely invaluable to me, not just initially but all the way down the line when we had issues. The LC would be able to help you figure out good positioning. hang in there though, it does get easier and better and the strange quirky muscles you didn't know you had will work themself out.

(The reason I said 'sort of' is because i delivered at a Vermont hospital and live in New Hampshire....and for some quirky law/code/whatever they couldn't come to my house, but could help me unless I met them in Vermont, or over the phone. It was so weird, but still the advice was so valuable!)

Quote Originally Posted by popcornbird View Post

Completely understandable. What about a few pictures of Baby M's cute little baby toes or his little fingers? We'd love that!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Hello, my sweet friend. I am overjoyed to hear the story of Baby M's birth. Bless your heart. This is such a joyous time in your life. I'm glad you and hubby have had 2 weeks to enjoy the new baby together and that your parents have been there in support.
    My "baby" is going to turn 19 years old this month. I'm not much help with the breast feeding. I can tell you that it was never comfortable for me, but I stuck with it for 4 months until Miss Helen decided she was going to have nothing more to do with me. Ha Ha!
    Hugs to you. You have my email address. I'd love to hear from you.
    Logan