Thread: Mother who left baby at police station charged

Mother who left baby at police station charged

I don't think she should be charged with anything for taking her baby to the police station. she should have talked to someone there instead of just dropping the baby off though. If she doesn't feel she can be a good parent, then I think she should be supported through the process of placing the child with someone who can. Especially since she has a history of endangering the child's health in the past. They just changed the Safe Haven law in Illinois - it used to be that a baby could only be turned over to a hospital or police station up to 7 days of age, but they just expanded it to 30 days as of the first of the year.

----------
    Mom Who Left Baby At Police Station Charged
    Matisha Goens Arrested For Failing To Come To Court On Previous Endangerment Charge

CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) A woman who allegedly abandoned a 6-month-old baby at a South Side police station Friday afternoon was arrested on a warrant for failing to show up for a court appearance in relation to a charge of endangering the same child last September, police said.

An arrest warrant was issued Oct. 21 for Matisha Goens, 28, of the 7000 block of South Crandon Avenue, after she failed to show up for a court appearance that day in Domestic Violence Court (Br. 60), 555 W. Harrison St., after being charged in September with endangering the health and welfare of a child, according to police.

She was charged for allegedly leaving the same child unattended in a car in a parking lot of a Secretary of State facility at 9901 S. King Dr., according to police. For that, she was released on an individual recognizance bond and told to appear at the court hearing Oct. 21, according to police.

Goens was located by police Monday after allegedly leaving the same 6-month-old infant girl in a stroller inside the Grand Crossing District police station, 7040 S. Cottage Grove Ave., Friday afternoon.

She has not been charged with anything as of Tuesday morning in Friday's incident but police were still investigating.

In Friday's incident, police said two witnesses saw a woman who appeared to be 18 to 24, dressed in a black jacket and top, dark blue skinny jeans, a black skull cap and wearing boots with white fluffy fur trim come briefly inside with the stroller. She mumbled something to the effect that she had forgotten something and that she would be "right back" but she never returned, according to police.

The baby, believed to be approximately 6 months old, was found in a black and silver "Baby Trend Expedition" stroller with a multi-colored Winnie the Pooh blanket. She was wearing a pink jacket with butterflies and a jumper with "ABC" printed on it.The girl has two teeth and pierced ears with diamond earrings.

Under Illinois' Safe Haven law, an unharmed newborn up to 30 days old may be "safely relinquished to staff at hospitals, police or staffed fire stations, or emergency care facilities, no questions asked", but there are usually repercussions for abandoning a child after that time period has lapsed.

The Calumet Area Special Victims Unit has been investigating Friday's incident.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 01-06-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: fix a spelling blooper
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

How sad, really. It used to be that a family member might take in an unwanted child, or there were orphanages ... send the baby here, I'd love her! One never knows what circumstances can lead a parent to this decision. But what other recourse does a woman in her situation have? It isn't like there are convents or monasteries open 24 hours a day, like in the olden days, where a baby could be left to the church's care ...
    I've Been Frosted

I think perhaps in this case it IS her history that has led to this charge. and while the child will most certainly be better off left with someone else I did not get the impression from this article that she told anyone or mentioned that she wanted to give up the child she just walked in and left it under the guise of "I left something behind" maybe I missed something though.

Had she been honest and told someone "Hey this child needs another parent and I'm leaving her here" I would agree. But she just left the child and lied about it and with her history of leaving the child places... I can see the logic behind the charge.

in the end I hope the child gets the family this innocent being deserves

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

What a cute little girl...but she looks so sad. I hope her life is full of smiles very soon!

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...years-day.html (earlier story)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I wish that it were simpler to let children be cared for by relatives in cases where the parent can't. I have a feeling that the months of suffering the poor kid in this story went through could have been avoided if a relatvie could have taken her.

Sad all the way around

Look at that sweet, innocent, little face. Such a shame.

At least she left her baby somewhere safe, although she should be punished for leaving her baby in the car.

I'm glad this has a happy ending and hope this child finds a wonderful, loving home.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Ohio has a safe haven law, too.

As I read the story, she was picked up on outstanding warrants, not on a current charge stemming from this situation. I am sure that charge is coming, as useless as it will be.

I am in favor of a safe haven law. I would change it to any age...not limit it to 30 days. What difference does it make to the one we are trying to protect- the child? Shouldn't a 2 year old, a ten year old, etc., also be given the same safe protection?

Parenting can be VERY difficult for people (and, no, I am not drawing on any past personal experience. J is pretty dern easy, and has been). Maybe a person feels WAY overwhelmed with the birth, the process, something changes, etc., and while initially they thought they could or should do it, they can't?

Shouldn't the person we are struggling to protect- the baby- always be at the fore? Not the parent, and what the parent "shoulda, coulda, woulda"?

I hear these stories on the news from time to time and it always makes me sad for the parent and the child. The state of Illinois has so many budget problems. I wish they would come up with some kind of resource, similar to the Safe Haven law, for parents of children older than 30 days. Either to give the parent some practical help, mentoring, parenting classes, or something so they wouldn't feel like their only option is to take the baby to the police station and bolt. Maybe when they finish fighting the budget battles.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Maybe if they did something to help parents with their children the police budget wouldn't be so high..........

Not saying the state should take over parenting, but if the parent isn't capable, there should be some sort of help available that didn't involve criminal charges.

Waiting until the child is a teen isn't the time for intervention.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Birth control. Birth control, birth control. It can never be stressed too much. This women did the right thing in turning baby in to the police, she just as well could have put it in a dumpster.

I am a proponent of sex education, including BC.
    However, not every one that gives up a child began as a person that never wanted a child.
    Making adoption simpler and more affordable is a solution. Making it easier to relinquish a child could help.