Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dogs in stores

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy317 View Post
    That is NOT the owners responsibility to do so, that is the OWNERS.

And thats whats wrong with this country, people are too sue-happy. What am I going to sue a five year old kid, because he spilled his ice cream om $50 shirt? Or wait, lets take that a step further, just sue Diary Queen for the mishap, that'll be a much bigger settlement, it was their ice cream at fault.

Did you hear about the lawsuit at an aquarium that someone slipped and blamed it on the dolphins for throwing water? What'cha expect? Or the lawsuit where three boys died because they got stuck in the back of the truck and they blamed the car company? Where were the parents watching them?!! Or the robber who falls while trying to break into the house and sues the people of the house for his fall?! Seriously if something happens, and the first thing you can come up with is 'sue', I feel bad living in such society.

I dunno, I rather live in my dog-friendly state I haven't heard any store gets sue because of dog stories so far.

Call me irresponsible, yet I have never caused an issue at a store with my dogs. As for my good cause, it brings people joy when they see a dog where they would not frequently see a dog. I get alot of people who tell me aw reminds me of my old dog, or this made my day, ect. Not to mention I enjoy my dogs company and they enjoy my company, thats a good enough 'cause' for me alone.
    Sorry - but I sure don't understand your first sentence here. It's not the owner's responsibility - it's the owners??????

It is the responsibility of the DOG owner to clean up after the dog. If he doesn't and there is a mishap, the store owner would take the hit - not the dog owner.

Sure people are sue happy - I don't agree with it in most instances - but it happens no matter how petty the issue. If I were a store owner, I sure would do everything possible to cover my back side.

BTW - these are my opinions and observations and they obviously aren't worth a hill of beans.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Sorry - but I sure don't understand your first sentence here. It's not the owner's responsibility - it's the owners??????

It is the responsibility of the DOG owner to clean up after the dog. If he doesn't and there is a mishap, the store owner would take the hit - not the dog owner.

Sure people are sue happy - I don't agree with it in most instances - but it happens no matter how petty the issue. If I were a store owner, I sure would do everything possible to cover my back side.

BTW - these are my opinions and observations and they obviously aren't worth a hill of beans.
    Oh sorry I meant store owner then dog owner...I thought you were talking about the store owner.

And yes your opinion does matter, because I'm one of those 'irresponsible' people that brings dogs into stores......I want to know exactly how it makes me irresponsible?

Because OTHERS have let their dogs pee in stores? Why should *I* take them blame for that?! Why shouldn't I be allowed to bring my well-behaved dogs in a store? Its the same thing like with bully breeds, because others aren't responsible with their dogs and bites and whatnot have happened, then others who are responsible have to deal with other people's mistakes in the sake of having their breed banned or pts or not allowed in their home/apartment. Have you seen the picture of all the 'pit bulls' that have been pts, because they've been banned? And what have them done wrong? NOTHING, but be someone's beloved pet and be born the 'wrong' breed.

Seems silly to me to blame everyone, when not everyone is irresponsible with their dog. It should be on a case-by-case, not broad judgement that people who bring their dogs in stores don't clean up after or whatever the case is. If a dog owner has an unruly dog in a store, then no they shouldn't be allowed in the store, but on the other hand, not everyone is an irresponsible dog owner.

Lets ban kids from stores while we're at it. I've seen more store mishaps from a kid than a dog my whole lifetime. Speaking of I never seen a dog break a store's item or messed up the shoe rack in a shoe store after I just rearranged it, grr lol minor rant there. I mean because a couple of kids are unruly and their parents allow them, should then everyone else with kids suffer the consequences? Doesn't seem fair now does it?
    Last edited by Candy317; 01-05-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    MY RUGRATS

Ouch for the hands with the german shepherd. That sounds horrible. Ick.That just makes my hands hurt!!!

As for suing, people do go crazy with that! It's insane!

I ONLY use my flexi leash for taking Delta outside to go potty (no fence). Then we go right back up the stairs. (I live in an apartment). If I go for a walk, definitely a regular leash....

YOUR POOR HANDS!!! Haha, that really bothers me. Lol
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    Ouch for the hands with the german shepherd. That sounds horrible. Ick.That just makes my hands hurt!!!

As for suing, people do go crazy with that! It's insane!

I ONLY use my flexi leash for taking Delta outside to go potty (no fence). Then we go right back up the stairs. (I live in an apartment). If I go for a walk, definitely a regular leash....

YOUR POOR HANDS!!! Haha, that really bothers me. Lol
    Oh yeah, it definitely brought a tear to my eye and made me get sick to my stomach when i finally was able to let go of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by cane76 View Post
    Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

Seems silly to me to blame everyone, when not everyone is irresponsible with their dog. It should be on a case-by-case, not broad judgement that people who bring their dogs in stores don't clean up after or whatever the case is. If a dog owner has an unruly dog in a store, then no they shouldn't be allowed in the store, but on the other hand, not everyone is an irresponsible dog owner.

Lets ban kids from stores while we're at it. I've seen more store mishaps from a kid than a dog my whole lifetime. Speaking of I never seen a dog break a store's item or messed up the shoe rack in a shoe store after I just rearranged it, grr lol minor rant there. I mean because a couple of kids are unruly and their parents allow them, should then everyone else with kids suffer the consequences? Doesn't seem fair now does it?
    The laws are the way they are for a reason. And in general, we all pay for the crimes of the few, living in society with other humans. There are laws about who can drive, who can drink alcohol, etc - because of the irresponsible minority, not the rest of the responsible majority.

And because there are irresponsible pet owners, for example, landlords are allowed to prohibit pet ownership in apartments. It is sad, but that's the way it is, and the same with dogs in stores.
    I've Been Frosted

I have a dog that comes with me everywhere I go. Licenced to do so. But I don't approve of dogs in stores either. Not because they are "just dogs", but because people don't seem to care what their dogs do when in public places. I hesitate to bring my dog into our pet store because all dogs are welcomed there. And what do these dogs do? They pee on the bottom shelves of everything, even on bags of dog food. Some snarl and go for other dogs, the owners let their dogs chew and play with toys from the shelves etc., some have the runs and just let it go all over the floor. This store has clean up stations at every corner but the owners turn a blind eye when their dogs soil inside the store. I can count on one hand the responsible owners that do clean up an accident and you can tell they didn't expect their dog to do this. The others are just oblivious to anything their dogs do and the employees are stuck with cleaning up, they are not allowed to tell the owners to do it for fear of losing customers. I think this really sucks when owners take advantage of stores allowing pets to come in their store.
    My vet puts her dogs in a carrier that she pushes, she doesn't let her dogs on the floor for fear of contracting a disease and she told me I should avoid taking mine inside for the same reasons. So in my opinion I vote that dogs shouldn't be allowed in any store if owners are so irresponsible.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I can understand here in the US why most places should not allow dogs. First the average American would not feel responsible if the animal did it's business in the store. I see kids being brats and parents looking the other way, they would do the same with a dog. Most pets are not trained well enough to go in stores especially a restaurant.

When I lived in the Netherland dogs were allow any where people were. I will say that pets, and children, were better trained and behaved there.

I have run into a few places that know me and Koko, and they have invited her in their stores. One is a bike shop that I go to a lot, and the other is a coffee shop were I go for coffee. Koko enjoys going to Petco and would have a fit if I tried going in without her.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The laws are the way they are for a reason. And in general, we all pay for the crimes of the few, living in society with other humans. There are laws about who can drive, who can drink alcohol, etc - because of the irresponsible minority, not the rest of the responsible majority.

And because there are irresponsible pet owners, for example, landlords are allowed to prohibit pet ownership in apartments. It is sad, but that's the way it is, and the same with dogs in stores.
    I get that, I'm not for bringing a dog were a dog is not allowed. But I want to know how it makes me 'irresponsible' if the dog is allowed in a store.
    MY RUGRATS

I used to work at a pet store. I can't remember the dog type, but this guys dog stopped RIGHT when they walked in and released a mass of diarrhea on our carpets. He just turned around and left without saying anything. We were like, "Dude, we see you. We're going to remember you." >.>
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I have a dog that comes with me everywhere I go. Licenced to do so. But I don't approve of dogs in stores either. Not because they are "just dogs", but because people don't seem to care what their dogs do when in public places. I hesitate to bring my dog into our pet store because all dogs are welcomed there. And what do these dogs do? They pee on the bottom shelves of everything, even on bags of dog food. Some snarl and go for other dogs, the owners let their dogs chew and play with toys from the shelves etc., some have the runs and just let it go all over the floor. This store has clean up stations at every corner but the owners turn a blind eye when their dogs soil inside the store. I can count on one hand the responsible owners that do clean up an accident and you can tell they didn't expect their dog to do this. The others are just oblivious to anything their dogs do and the employees are stuck with cleaning up, they are not allowed to tell the owners to do it for fear of losing customers. I think this really sucks when owners take advantage of stores allowing pets to come in their store.
    My vet puts her dogs in a carrier that she pushes, she doesn't let her dogs on the floor for fear of contracting a disease and she told me I should avoid taking mine inside for the same reasons. So in my opinion I vote that dogs shouldn't be allowed in any store if owners are so irresponsible.
    Thats a very broad generalization in the bold.

And I find what your vet does cruel. Dogs NEED to be walked. I've seen dogs lose muscle mass from being carried a purse all day and never walked. If the dog is vaccinated I don't see the need for fear of diseases. Does it ever be allowed to take a walk down the block? There are much much more diseases on grass and in neighborhoods than the dog would contact in a store. Reminds me of the movie Bubble Boy. A vet office is a different store however.
    MY RUGRATS

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Oh sorry I meant store owner then dog owner...I thought you were talking about the store owner.

And yes your opinion does matter, because I'm one of those 'irresponsible' people that brings dogs into stores......I want to know exactly how it makes me irresponsible?

Because OTHERS have let their dogs pee in stores? Why should *I* take them blame for that?! Why shouldn't I be allowed to bring my well-behaved dogs in a store? Its the same thing like with bully breeds, because others aren't responsible with their dogs and bites and whatnot have happened, then others who are responsible have to deal with other people's mistakes in the sake of having their breed banned or pts or not allowed in their home/apartment. Have you seen the picture of all the 'pit bulls' that have been pts, because they've been banned? And what have them done wrong? NOTHING, but be someone's beloved pet and be born the 'wrong' breed.

Seems silly to me to blame everyone, when not everyone is irresponsible with their dog. It should be on a case-by-case, not broad judgement that people who bring their dogs in stores don't clean up after or whatever the case is.

As I said - what I say is my opinion.

Irresponsible - because you (or anybody) is thinking of yourself/themselves, and not the safety and comfort of the patrons who do not bring their dogs in a store. People go to stores to shop. Why do dogs go to stores? Certainly not to shop - only because their owner takes them along. And yes - children go to stores but not to shop. They go with their parents or another adult because they cannot be left at home. You can leave your dog home but choose not to, so doggie tags along only because his owner wants him there. Even when I go to Petsmart, my dogs ride in a cart and do not walk beside me. I would rather be safe than sorry. And yes - I do realize that not all dogs are of a size to ride in a cart!

No one said you should take the blame for someone else's dog. If you were to sit your well behaved dog next to one not so well behaved, could I tell the difference just by looking at them. Of course not! Can a store owner tell the difference? Of course not! It would be next to impossible to judge if the dog is store friendly, and could not be done on a case by case basis. And I'm not singling out a particular breed either. I've come across a couple of very loveable pits (in my limited exposure to them), and some very nasty and ill tempered little dogs. The size or the breed is not the issue.

Perhaps it's my age showing here, and I'm not in tune to the changing times. I know that I'm a whole lot older than most here. I was brought up in a different generation that had a different set of values and a lot more respect for others. Somehow, those values have changed, and us old dinosaurs haven't. So I will stick to my beliefs on issues, but I harbour no hard feelings toward those who think differently than I do.

Just remember, there is usually no right or wrong, or black or white, but somewhere in between those extremes, there can be a happy medium.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    As I said - what I say is my opinion.

Irresponsible - because you (or anybody) is thinking of yourself/themselves, and not the safety and comfort of the patrons who do not bring their dogs in a store. People go to stores to shop. Why do dogs go to stores? Certainly not to shop - only because their owner takes them along. And yes - children go to stores but not to shop. They go with their parents or another adult because they cannot be left at home. You can leave your dog home but choose not to, so doggie tags along only because his owner wants him there. Even when I go to Petsmart, my dogs ride in a cart and do not walk beside me. I would rather be safe than sorry. And yes - I do realize that not all dogs are of a size to ride in a cart!

No one said you should take the blame for someone else's dog. If you were to sit your well behaved dog next to one not so well behaved, could I tell the difference just by looking at them. Of course not! Can a store owner tell the difference? Of course not! It would be next to impossible to judge if the dog is store friendly, and could not be done on a case by case basis. And I'm not singling out a particular breed either. I've come across a couple of very loveable pits (in my limited exposure to them), and some very nasty and ill tempered little dogs. The size or the breed is not the issue.

Perhaps it's my age showing here, and I'm not in tune to the changing times. I know that I'm a whole lot older than most here. I was brought up in a different generation that had a different set of values and a lot more respect for others. Somehow, those values have changed, and us old dinosaurs haven't. So I will stick to my beliefs on issues, but I harbour no hard feelings toward those who think differently than I do.

Just remember, there is usually no right or wrong, or black or white, but somewhere in between those extremes, there can be a happy medium.
    I see in no point to even mention pit bulls after saying 'I'm not singling out a particular breed either'...you could of just said I've met very loveable dogs and some nasty dogs. Very contradicting statement there.

I'm not thinking about myself, I'm thinking about my dogs. Socialization and not leaving them bored in the house are two reasons why. As for safety of other people. I have my dogs on a leash of which I'm in FULL control of, that alone is safety for others. As for me I know my dogs would not feel comfortable in a cart (ouchie their paws) nor a tote bag, so thats why I allowed them to walk on a leash, but thats just me and because my dogs like to walk.

You can't tell if a dog is dog park friendly either, but once the dog starts to act up, the owner is asked to leave, same rules should apply in a store setting.
    MY RUGRATS

I don't think I would take my dogs into a store without knowing if I could or not but I do not look down on others who do as long as their dogs are well behaved. I think they are doing it for the right reasons wanting to socialize their dogs and have them out with them at all times. Just makes for an overall more balanced dog, setting them up to be comfortable in all situations.

As for people who have a problem with dogs being in stores for the matter of fact that they don't like dogs or whatever.....well I personally don't like looking at someone in a store with their pants sagging, but they have every right to shop there, and I have every right to not look or leave the store if it bothers me that greatly.
    MY RUGRATS

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    I don't think I would take my dogs into a store without knowing if I could or not but I do not look down on others who do as long as their dogs are well behaved. I think they are doing it for the right reasons wanting to socialize their dogs and have them out with them at all times. Just makes for an overall more balanced dog, setting them up to be comfortable in all situations.
    Thanks for your post!
    MY RUGRATS