Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I'm just wondering whats your thought on chaining a dog?

Growing up we had our dogs chained outside. When my sister was old enough to get "her own" dogs we got kennels. The dogs that were chained were not aggressive at all. They got multiple daily walks out in the grove, off leash.
    The dogs my mom has now never really go in the kennels. Pepsi will stay in the back yard, and Little Bit stays in the house in a crate if my parents are gone (which is hardly ever since they are retired). But my dogs and my brothers dogs do go in the kennels when someone is not home with them. Which, again, is not often since my brother works from home.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My dogs have always been soley house pets.
    (this has nothing to do with how much you love or how well cared your dogs are.)
    I understand for safety, when you show and breed certain breeds, they are usually kept separated by kennel/runs and let out in a separate area for exercise.

Just not my cup of tea.

----<---<--<{(@

To me, it looks like you're being a responsible pet owner. Particularly for the breed you've chosen to love. They look happy and healthy. I am particularly moved by the photo of you and the sweet dogger putting her/his head under your chin. That's just sweet. Clearly there is alot of love there.

I've used a tie out before for my RB dogs. When they had to stay in the yard and the yard could not be fenced. There is a photo of them below in my signature.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

In my city it's against the law to chain a dog 24/7. Doing so means
    a fine and,or jail. I want my dogs around me. I enjoy their company.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

When done properly, like Marty and others have done, chaining is a viable option for caring for a large number of dogs where special care needs to be taken. The Valley has alot of mushers and the state has even more, the most economical and safest way to care for a large number of sled dogs is chaining/tethering.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I don't understand why you guys are picking at Marty now too just because he has APBTs and he's new. His intentions weren't to create controversy. He just asked opinions. Like I said, I don't agree with chaning, but your dogs obviously aren't neglected, they are well taken care of.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

My neighbor has a pit bull they keep chained 24/7. He has food, water, and sometimes shelter... but his doghouse is broken they are contently putting it together and he retakes it apart. But other than that he is just there to bark and it absolutely kills me. He is such a sweet boy, well he doesn't like strangers, but I've been going over there forever giving him treats, toys, and lovings. He's such a big baby whenever I go over there. He just loooooooves when I play tug or "fetch"(not really fetch when he's on a chain) with him. He also is really good with my dogs since they have gone over there to visit him before too he immediately starts play bowing and wanting to run around with them. We've asked them if we could have him but they said no, it's sad because when I asked they had some friends over who were agreeing with me that I should have him since they don't do anything with him but they still said no. However I'm still allowed to come play and give him attention whenever I like so I do. Often times when I buy my dogs rawhides and pig ears I include him in that too.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I think that chaining your dog (if done properly) is just fine. They look well cared for and loved. Like others have said, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and you have obviously chosen a the right way. It is against the law here now for anyone to chain their dogs outside. I like to have my dogs inside with me, but as many problems that can occure, I can also understand why people have their dogs outside. I too have had dogs outside and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    I don't understand why you guys are picking at Marty now too just because he has APBTs and he's new.
    No one is picking on him. They are only saying they do not agree with it. There was no bashing involved.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I don't like to see dogs chained either, but your dogs look really happy in the pictures-and they look healthy so I don't see anything wrong w/ it as long as they are loved and taken care of.

We have a lab/golden mix. We have a large fence we keep him in, but he digs holes and can get nder the fence. We even have an electric wire going all the way around, but he takes the shock and still gets under. So just recently we've been having to keep him chained which I hate doing. When he's out one of our neighbors calls and complains about him coming over there and getting in her yard/garden. Plus he chases our cats really bad-when he's out they are up a tree or something just about the whole time. He won't hurt them, but they don't know that!

We've been thinking about finding him a home. We love him to death-he's a sweet boy and so lovable...but we can't keep him chained all the time and he won't stay in the fence-and when he's out it only causes problems w/ our neighbors ;/

But don't think he doesn't get any love or attention...actually right now he's out on the front porch. He got off the chain which happens a lot!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    I don't understand why you guys are picking at Marty now too just because he has APBTs and he's new. His intentions weren't to create controversy. He just asked opinions. Like I said, I don't agree with chaning, but your dogs obviously aren't neglected, they are well taken care of.
    Planned controversy thread, step two. Quite transparent.

No one is "picking on" anyone. We are answering a question that we were asked. And where did this "PT hates pit bulls" thing come from all of a sudden? Seriously? This site is one of the most friendly, calm, kind sites on the internet, IMO. I have never seen anyone breed-bash on this site, and I've been on here for almost a decade. This is a really silly bit of drama lately, and this site doesn't deserve it.

However, for the sake of the OP's question, I'll ignore the obvious set-up and give my opinion.

I HATE to see a dog chained up. Obviously, some situations are worse than others, and no one is implying that every chained dog is neglected and unloved. However, I think chaining a dog is a terrible thing to do. We do not chain other animals - no one chains their horse to a fence for fifteen years, or their cat to a tree. Why do dogs have to suffer this unique fate? Because they are compliant and want to please? How sad.

I have no problem with an indoor dog who is put on a tie-out to do potty business, none at all. I have a problem with dogs who live outside on a chain all the time. Even if they have a nice doghouse and a long chain, I still hate it. I could chain my kids to their comfy bed on a chain long enough for them to reach their desk and the toilet ... would that make it right?

My children fight with each other sometimes. They also make have messy rooms and bad table manner once in a while. Never once did it occur to me to chain them to their beds.

My sister has eight Siberian huskies of her own, and always numerous foster and rescue Siberians. Anyone who has owned Sibes or knows much about them knows that they can be extreme escape artists. However, my sister took the time and made the effort to make sure all her dogs were in secure, escape-proof yards, and the ones that need to be separated are. She didn't just throw up her hands and chain them up.

I own a twenty-five kennel boarding kennel. I made escape-proof runs. I have nine dogs of my own. My RB Jindo could climb trees and get on roofs. My IG's can get in, on or through just about anything, I swear. I always have a least one or two rescue dogs. I did what I had to do with fences, concrete, etc. to provide a secure yard system for them. No dog of mine has EVER been chained up. I just don't buy the excuses a lot of people give for chaining.
    Last edited by Twisterdog; 01-03-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post

No one is "picking on" anyone. We are answering a question that we were asked. And where did this "PT hates pit bulls" thing come from all of a sudden? Seriously? This site is one of the most friendly, calm, kind sites on the internet, IMO. I have never seen anyone breed-bash on this site, and I've been on here for almost a decade. This is a really silly bit of drama lately, and this site doesn't deserve it.
    You said it my friend....... *claps hands*

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Some people cant wait to be offended by an imagined controversy. Ive seen Marty post on other boards and controversy was not his intention IMO with this thread.

I agree this thread should be and been left to the OT, chaining. Not....

IMO APBT can not be trusted unrestrained no matter how much they are socialized.
    However, for the sake of the OP's question, I'll ignore the obvious set-up and give my opinion.

I HATE to see a dog chained up. Obviously, some situations are worse than others, and no one is implying that every chained dog is neglected and unloved. However, I think chaining a dog is a terrible thing to do. We do not chain other animals - no one chains their horse to a fence for fifteen years, or their cat to a tree. Why do dogs have to suffer this unique fate? Because they are compliant and want to please? How sad.
    So your opinion on chaining is at least partially based on your emotional response to seeing a dog chained regardless of the circumstances or how well the dogs are cared for. Fair enough, cant blame you for that.

Ive seen horses confined to stalls for most of their lives, only being let out when their owners wish to work them. Cats being confined to a single room only getting interaction when their owner wishes it. Not the same as being chained to a tree but close.

My sister has eight Siberian huskies of her own, and always numerous foster and rescue Siberians. Anyone who has owned Sibes or knows much about them knows that they can be extreme escape artists. However, my sister took the time and made the effort to make sure all her dogs were in secure, escape-proof yards, and the ones that need to be separated are. She didn't just throw up her hands and chain them up.

I own a twenty-five kennel boarding kennel. I made escape-proof runs. I have nine dogs of my own. My RB Jindo could climb trees and get on roofs. My IG's can get in, on or through just about anything, I swear. I always have a least one or two rescue dogs. I did what I had to do with fences, concrete, etc. to provide a secure yard system for them. No dog of mine has EVER been chained up. I just don't buy the excuses a lot of people give for chaining.
    Professional mushers may have a hundred dogs or more, not 8, + fosters or a 25 dog boarding kennel that I can only assume is a for profit business (Im sure you will correct me if my assumption is incorrect, and if I am I apologise).

As long as the mushers dogs are healthy and well socialized, chaining is an economical solution where concrete, fencing, and escape proofing would be cost preventative.

My main problem with chaining is that the dogs arent protected from predators or other wild animals. Over the last few years wolves have been preying on dog yards because there isnt enough wild prey for them to subsist on. Moose getting into dog yards can also do alot of damage to the dogs.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I'd rather see them kenneled. Those heavy chains take their toll over the years.

Obviously they are in good physical shape, but what do they have to bond with when isolated 23 hours a day? Its primitive to think animals have no feelings and emotions, just as we used to think animals couldn't see color until recently when we figured out they have rods and cones in their eyes.

Another thought, what if you get in a car crash and die? Who's going to want to adopt an un-houstrained dog? How will 20 dogs not housetrained find homes? You should definately work on house manners with them even if its one at a time. They should also experience things like hard floors and stairs and such. You can't predict your future.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I'd rather see them kenneled. Those heavy chains take their toll over the years.

Obviously they are in good physical shape, but what do they have to bond with when isolated 23 hours a day? Its primitive to think animals have no feelings and emotions, just as we used to think animals couldn't see color until recently when we figured out they have rods and cones in their eyes.

Another thought, what if you get in a car crash and die? Who's going to want to adopt an un-houstrained dog? How will 20 dogs not housetrained find homes? You should definately work on house manners with them even if its one at a time. They should also experience things like hard floors and stairs and such. You can't predict your future.
    Excellent point. I imagine that's something a lot of people would never think of. Of course - that's JMO!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~