Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm just wondering whats your thought on chaining a dog?

I'm just wondering whats your thought on chaining a dog?

My dogs have shelter, fresh water, food and shade... and don't forget love daily so whats the big problem?

My dogs are not neglected in any way... they don't live in the mud and are very much loved every day, dogs have lived on a chain for 100's of years with no problem till the AR "animals rights nuts " got involved LOL

Few more pics...

I hope your not gonning to respond with negativity because it won't happen

Well I don't like it, but I know you take AWESOME care of your APBTs and do everything for them and still they are a part of your family, Marty. What I don't like is people who get a dog, throw it in the back-yard and chain the dog with no proper shelter, food, or water and no attention what-so-ever. AND I know that's not you! Your pups are beautiful BTW - I LOVE Lil' Bit.. she has always been a favorite of mine.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I know neglect goes on... but not on my watch!

I have to much money/time invested in my dogs, hell there my kids I never had

As in most things, there's a good way and a wrong way. I have always felt sad for dogs that were stuck on chains, unloved and neglected. Yours are obviously neither, and look happy and healthy! We would let our dog out on a chain in the yard, and the chain always reached the door, so they could come in when they wanted. We only ever had one at a time, though, so dog on dog aggression was never an issue.
    I've Been Frosted

I had to laugh at that first picture. While you are hugging and playing with one dog (sorry I don't know their names by sight yet), there is another one in the back just sitting waiting patiently for you to get to him / her.

SITTING WAITING PATIENTLY? Goodness, I just LOOK at one of mine and the rest are up and rushing to me, ha haaa. Patience is not in their vocabulary, here.

I don't like it much, but it is much better than putting them in a cage with no room. It looks like you are taking care of your dog, and giving it lots of love.

By the way, your dog is very beautiful, thanks for posting your very nice pictures of you, and your dog.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I will admit, I won't ever be 100% happy about a dog being chained outside. Never have and never will, it's just the way I am I suppose. But I absolutely CANNOT stand owners who get a dog, throw it on a chain, and leave it to rot in the yard with no food, water, shelter, socialization, training, or love. I can see you are far from that owner though, your babies are absolutely gorgeous and I can tell you love them with all your heart. While I will never approve of the chain, I accept your choice and know you will continue to care for your cuties and that you truely love them. The first picture is so cute.

While I would never chain my dog, I can understand your need to chain your dogs. I had a neighor with an APBT that they kept in a 8 foot high fence. The dog learned to climb the fence and roam the neighborhood. This went on until one day it climbed his fence and then another neighbors fence and killed 2 of his goats. After this another neighbor bought the house, which was a rental, just to ensure our neighborhood was safe. He renovated the house and my son ended up buying it. This dog was loved by an 8 and 10 year old and was the the picture of the perfect pet, at least on the surface. It had attacked me on 2 occasions and if it were not for my Koko I would have been hurt on the last attack. IMO APBT can not be trusted unrestrained no matter how much they are socialized. They were bred as rat killers and the killer instinct will surface if allowed to roam especially in a pack. IMO you created this thread just to get another confrontational discussion on the poor misunderstood APBT.

I totally agree with Kokopup

Just another confrontation thread. The end.

No, I don't think he's trying to create controversy, and this being Pet Talk, we can do our best to have a thoughtful, discussion, and if we disagree, do it with respect.

Think of chained dogs reminds me of my beloved uncle's much treasured Border Collie, Molly. I have spoken of her on Pet Talk many times in the past. Molly was a working dog, every ounce a Border Collie. She worked the farm with Mac, herded anything she could, and was, as I said, much loved. However, whenever Mac was going to be gone for a while and he couldn't take Molly, she'd be on a chain in the yard. As a kid, of course, I asked why!

Turns out her herding instincts overruled everything. If they left her in the house by herself, she'd destroy a door (dig at the wood until it gave way, hurting her paws in the process) or window to get out and either look for them, or herd anything that moved. That included cars, which was of course, dangerous to both Molly and any drivers. So she had a chain outside the kitchen door, and would run in circles trying to herd something - airplanes passing overhead? and wore a circle into the dirt.

But by being chained when Mac wasn't home, she was kept safe, and lived to a ripe old age.
    I've Been Frosted

Well, I don't agree with chaining. The only instances I've ever had with chained dogs is that they became territorial and aggressive. One neighbor kept their german shepherd chained to the inside of the garage, but could reach the grass to potty, and it had shelter food and water in the garage. He was very territorial and would only become friendly once he was used to you. He ended up biting the mail man and needing to be put to sleep or they would be sued.

My husband's old neighbor keeps their dog on a chain. I feel so bad for this thing... they do not care for him at all. He walks in his own feces which they never pick up. Well, the dog never used to be aggressive, but one day I was walking up their shared driveway (The dog used to be able to get somewhat in the driveway), and there was a car in the way. I went around it and the dog lunged and snapped at me. He caught my jeans with his tooth and left me a nice red mark with some ripped jeans. I was severely p*ssed off. Haha But now, the poor dog lunges and barks at everything that moves. And, something happened to the poor dog, and his little tail is missing the end now. They're horrible owners, and not so nice people. :-/

It does seem that your dogs are happy and healthy. They definitely look like they love you so you're doin' something right.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I really don't have a problem with tethering your dog. I know you love the bajesus out of your dogs marty and they never go without your love and attention. I think as an owner you need to be watchful for any anxiety issues that may occur. Some dogs live happy lives being tethered, and some just cannot cope with it. Just like some dogs aren't good for crates or kennels. You just have to know what will work for you and your animal. Ultimately, your animal will live however/wherever you chose for it to, but as a responsible owner we need to find out the propper confinement for our individual dogs.

EDIT: BTW, everyone I know those look like huge chains, but they are not, Marty uses the lightest weight chain possible. He is well aware of the damage that can be caused by impropper tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by cane76 View Post
    Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    Just another confrontation thread. The end.
    I agree 100%. Check out his first thread in Introductions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I never chained my children outside in the yard and since I consider my dogs family I don't chain them outside either.....
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----