Thread: Adequan Injections?

Adequan Injections?

I'm going to be starting this course of treatment for my aunts very dysplastic EB. Has anyone used it and what's your success story? Or if you've had bad experiences please let me know too!

Quote Originally Posted by cane76 View Post
    Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

I have used it for my Marlin for over a year. VERY happy with the results.

Initially you do shots close together but after the start up, it is once per month. I can always tell when the time is coming due as he grumbles about doing stairs, asks for help to jump on the sofa, and limps on our longer walks (about 2 miles).

You can do these yourself! Ask the vet for a prescription, and order on line from Entirely Pets.

My Marlin takes .4 ML per shot. So one vial is 12 shots. My vet charges $40 per office visit and no, I couldn't get them to let a vet tech give the shot at a lower cost, I was still going to have to pay for an office visit! The vial is about $65 -- QUITE a savings over the course of one year, let alone the dog's life!

My vet gives me the 12 syringes free. Of course with my crew of 14 plus the 8 or 9 who've gone to RB before this, I would expect SOME help from my vet!

Be sure you get the CANINE Adequan when you order. It also come for horses. LOL

Oh and have someone - vet, vet tech - show you HOW to give the shot. You don't want to hit a nerve and do more damage. I mark my calendar and alternate sides monthly.

My Marlin is also getting gluscosamine and chondroitin in pill form, daily. This also seems to help him. I buy the Joint Care 3 (samll breed) from Drs. Foster & Smith.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I have used it for my Marlin for over a year. VERY happy with the results.

Initially you do shots close together but after the start up, it is once per month. I can always tell when the time is coming due as he grumbles about doing stairs, asks for help to jump on the sofa, and limps on our longer walks (about 2 miles).

You can do these yourself! Ask the vet for a prescription, and order on line from Entirely Pets.

My Marlin takes .4 ML per shot. So one vial is 12 shots. My vet charges $40 per office visit and no, I couldn't get them to let a vet tech give the shot at a lower cost, I was still going to have to pay for an office visit! The vial is about $65 -- QUITE a savings over the course of one year, let alone the dog's life!

My vet gives me the 12 syringes free. Of course with my crew of 14 plus the 8 or 9 who've gone to RB before this, I would expect SOME help from my vet!

Be sure you get the CANINE Adequan when you order. It also come for horses. LOL

Oh and have someone - vet, vet tech - show you HOW to give the shot. You don't want to hit a nerve and do more damage. I mark my calendar and alternate sides monthly.

My Marlin is also getting gluscosamine and chondroitin in pill form, daily. This also seems to help him. I buy the Joint Care 3 (samll breed) from Drs. Foster & Smith.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much! You're a God send! I will keep my first visit with the vet on Thursday, and get the first dosage administered by them. From there I'll ask for the prescription. I really hope this works for her, I personally think they've let it go for far too long. I am going to be taking her to my house for a week to get her started, and I'm going to be putting that tubby little dog on a DIET!

EDIT: I've done IVs and under the skin shots, but I've never done an intermuscular shot. This should be a great learning experience!

EDIT EDIT: has marlin ever had any bad reactions to it?

Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

Marlin has never had a bad reaction to it.

Intramuscular, to me anyway it is not too different. You are going into a thicker section is all. Again, let them show you. My place, you place your hand iwth the index finger along the spine and the thumb down and put the shot in the midst of the opening of your hand. Easy really.

Yeah, with all these pets, I've done the sub Q fluids etc. Plus, my Dad is diabetic, so I do insulin injections, and he has pernicious anemia, so I give him the B12 shots. Some days I feel like a pharmacy here!

My vet charges $5 for prescriptions (he wants you to fill them with him) but it is still a major savings.

Oh, and my vet will not fax to internet pharmacies, due too the fraud etc. They give me the script, I come home, scan it in and send it asan email attachment, after I make the purchase. That way, I have the order number to reference in the email. Helps them match it up.

Just trying to give you a heads up on the various permutations you may encounter.

Let me know if you have other questions, I'll try to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Marlin has never had a bad reaction to it.

Intramuscular, to me anyway it is not too different. You are going into a thicker section is all. Again, let them show you. My place, you place your hand iwth the index finger along the spine and the thumb down and put the shot in the midst of the opening of your hand. Easy really.

Yeah, with all these pets, I've done the sub Q fluids etc. Plus, my Dad is diabetic, so I do insulin injections, and he has pernicious anemia, so I give him the B12 shots. Some days I feel like a pharmacy here!

My vet charges $5 for prescriptions (he wants you to fill them with him) but it is still a major savings.

Oh, and my vet will not fax to internet pharmacies, due too the fraud etc. They give me the script, I come home, scan it in and send it asan email attachment, after I make the purchase. That way, I have the order number to reference in the email. Helps them match it up.

Just trying to give you a heads up on the various permutations you may encounter.

Let me know if you have other questions, I'll try to help!
    Thanks so much, the IM sounds very similar to the way i gave Neela her immunotherapy. I thought 1800petmeds was a reputable place, but if not I might as well get it filled there at the vet!

Google that b*tches

I have no issue with 1800 pet meds! When I was pricing the Adequan canine, it was cheaper at Entirely Pets, so I just stayed with them.

You WILL get it cheaper on line than from your vet.

Well, she went in and got her first injection today. The vet was very disappointed in her over all hygeine... long nails, yeast infections, swollen ears from infection, entropia (she already had surgery for it when she was younger, but it still hadn't solved her problems), eye infection,secondary internal infections caused by her allergies. All of which I knew before i went in there Thank goodness I already have most of the meds she was going to push on me at home. Last night i started her with some Zymox, neo-poly-bac, and cephalexin. From here I reckon I have to go to walmart for some saline for her eyes, and get some alcohol wipes for her nose rope, and I'll start bathing her with the ketochlor I have for Neela.

Google that b*tches