Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I really need a GPS for my work keys........
    I think you'll find them.......where you left them.

"I'm Back !!"

Thank you for your support!

(And they were right where I left them.......inside a sorting machine, thankfully they were un-sorted)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Is it bad Karma to use a Ranger Rick magazine to kill a yellowjacket?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Only if it is an issue on "our insect friends!"

Random thought ...

It's sad to have fresh dandelions blossoming in the yard, and no one to feed them to - dandelion flowers were a favorite seasonal delicacy of Miss Hoppy's!
    I've Been Frosted

Something I saw on Facebook:

The Fourteen Precepts of the Order of Interbeing by Thich Nhat Hanh

1.Do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology. All systems of thought are guiding means; they are not absolute truth.

2.Do not think that the knowledge you presently posses is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice non-attachment from views in order to be open to receive others’ viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.

3.Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrowness.

4.Do not avoid contact with suffering or close your eyes before suffering. Do not lose awareness of the existence of suffering in the world. Find ways to be with those who are suffering, by all means, including personal contact and visits, images and sound. By such means, awaken yourself and others to the reality of suffering in the world.

5.Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry. Do not take as the aim of your life fame, profit, wealth, or sensual pleasure. Live simply and share time, energy and material resources with those who are in need.

6.Do not maintain anger or hatred. Learn to penetrate and transform them while they are still seeds in your consciousness. As soon as anger or hatred arises, turn your attention to your breathing in order to see and understand the nature of the persons who have caused you anger or hatred

7.Do not lose yourself in dispersion and in your surroundings. Practice mindful breathing in order to come back to what is happening in the present moment. Be in touch with what is wondrous, refreshing, and healing, both inside and around yourself. Plant the seeds of joy, peace, and understanding in yourself in order to facilitate the work of transformation in the depths of your consciousness.

8.Do not utter words that can create discord and cause the community to break. Make every effort to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

9.Do not say untruthful things for the sake of personal interest or to impress people. Do not utter words that cause division and hatred. Do not spread news that you do not know to be certain. Do not criticize or condemn things that you are not sure of. Always speak truthfully and constructively. Have the courage to speak out about situations of injustice, even when doing so may threaten your own safety.

10.Do not use the religious community for personal gain or profit, or transform your community into a political party. A religious community should, however, take a clear stand against oppression and injustice, and should strive to change the situation without engaging in partisan conflicts.

11.Do not live with a vocation that is harmful to humans and nature. Do not invest in companies that deprive others of their chance to live. Select a vocation that helps you realize your ideal of compassion.

12.Do not kill. Do not let others kill. Find whatever means possible to protect life and prevent war.

13. Possess nothing that should belong to others. Respect the property of others but prevent others from enriching themselves from human suffering or the suffering of other beings.

14. Do not mistreat your body. Learn to handle it with respect. Do not look on your body as only an instrument. Preserve vital energies for the realization of the Way. Sexual expression should not happen without love and commitment. In sexual relationships, be aware of the future suffering that may be caused. To preserve the happiness of others, respect the rights and commitments of others. Be fully aware of the responsibility of bringing new lives into the world. Meditate on the world into which you are bringing new beings.
    From the book "Peace is Every Step." by Thich Nhat Hanh

This evening I drove into Brookline (just one town over, but I rarely get there) to buy gas at a station that's part of the grocery store program that discounts gas ten cents per gallon for every however much of whatever ya buy over the course of a month. I had over 600 "points" so it was 60 cents off per gallon, well worth the 5 mile drive.

Anyway, as I pulled into station, and noticed the attendant was standing a few feet away, aiming his phone toward the sky. I didn't mind waiting, it was really just a few seconds. He came over and after he began pumping the gas, she said, "Sorry for making you wait, I was just trying to get a good picture of that sunset over those buildings."

We had a nice little conversation about how pictures never seem to really capture sunsets well, but we (he and I at least) are compelled to try.

He was a small older man, of African ancestry, and by his accent, he was born and raised somewhere far south of here (likely one of the islands in the Caribbean), and I wondered as I drove away how a Boston sunset over buildings on a busy street even compared with any sunsets he may have seen growing up, but I just thought it was sweet that, even in his thankless job as a gas station attendant, he not only took the time to notice a sunset, but appreciate it, and share it.
    I've Been Frosted

This movie called Blue Velvet was just on tv. It was weird but I wish I had payed attention, I think it was good. I want to go to Jewel today so I can buy pop for cheaper than at 7-11.

I want a job, man. Over two months of searching and no leads.

Niño & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    This evening I drove into Brookline (just one town over, but I rarely get there) to buy gas at a station that's part of the grocery store program that discounts gas ten cents per gallon for every however much of whatever ya buy over the course of a month. I had over 600 "points" so it was 60 cents off per gallon, well worth the 5 mile drive.

Anyway, as I pulled into station, and noticed the attendant was standing a few feet away, aiming his phone toward the sky. I didn't mind waiting, it was really just a few seconds. He came over and after he began pumping the gas, she said, "Sorry for making you wait, I was just trying to get a good picture of that sunset over those buildings."

We had a nice little conversation about how pictures never seem to really capture sunsets well, but we (he and I at least) are compelled to try.

He was a small older man, of African ancestry, and by his accent, he was born and raised somewhere far south of here (likely one of the islands in the Caribbean), and I wondered as I drove away how a Boston sunset over buildings on a busy street even compared with any sunsets he may have seen growing up, but I just thought it was sweet that, even in his thankless job as a gas station attendant, he not only took the time to notice a sunset, but appreciate it, and share it.

Thats a very lovely story Karen, things like that really put everything in perspective don't they?
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

My nephew got engaged! It's a good thing, too, because I've already been introducing his now fiancee to everyone as my niece-in-law. It's just too hard to explain that she's his girlfriend, but it's kind of a serious relationship, and ...
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It's sad to have fresh dandelions blossoming in the yard, and no one to feed them to - dandelion flowers were a favorite seasonal delicacy of Miss Hoppy's!
    I'll bet there are other bunnies in need of a home who would love them, whenever you decide to adopt another.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I need to pick up a graduation card for Mike's sister before we head up to Toledo tomorrow for her graduation day from U of Toledo.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I dislike the idiot drivers that come out of hibernation when the weather turns nice.

happylabs
    I dislike the idiot drivers that come out of hibernation when the weather turns nice.
    What do you expect, even by Punxsutawney Phil's schedule, it is way past time to be hibernating.
    Last edited by kokopup; 05-07-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    That just means you have them until the weather gets cold again. Then they come back down here (AZ) to make my life miserable.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I don't like that today's weather in Chicago is more like mid-March than early May. I wish it could be nice out for Mother's Day.