Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts

Store in Massachusetts and a couple other New England states were not permitted to open on Thanksgiving, for which I am glad.

Current random thought: Now I know why I usually use my mugs for my tea/chai/cocoa or whatever hot drink I am consuming - the "normal" coffee cup are just too danged small! I reach the bottom long before I expect to!
    I've Been Frosted

I heard on news radio that the FDA is going to try to phase out the use of antibiotics in meat and increase veterinary medical oversight of antibiotic uses, because of the increase in human antibiotic-resistant infections. It's things like this that make me want to eat more non-meat proteins. I need to start eating more healthfully anyway and this is just more proof.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I stopped eating meat a long time ago. I don't miss it in the slightest.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I was unpacking groceries this evening and in the bag was a carambola (star fruit) that I didn't buy. I didn't go through the produce section at all because I still have a couple of bananas and an orange on hand, and the salad bar at work has cut-up fruit available every day, which I really like. I've never even handled a carambola before. I called the supermarket and they told me to just keep it; they can't accept it back. I wonder if it will keep till Christmas, since it's star-shaped. Do I peel it? what does it taste like? Do I need to put it in the refrigerator? Can I put the star-shaped slices on a plate, maybe with cheese? On the other hand, maybe it's super sweet and I could put it out with cookies. Does it have seeds? It's about the weight of a small tomato, and that's kind of what the skin feels like. The lady in front of me must have bought it, I noticed she also had some bananas and apples in her basket. The sticker says "Product of Florida" on it.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I wonder if it will keep till Christmas, since it's star-shaped. Do I peel it? what does it taste like? Do I need to put it in the refrigerator? Can I put the star-shaped slices on a plate, maybe with cheese? On the other hand, maybe it's super sweet and I could put it out with cookies. Does it have seeds? It's about the weight of a small tomato, and that's kind of what the skin feels like. The lady in front of me must have bought it, I noticed she also had some bananas and apples in her basket. The sticker says "Product of Florida" on it.
    All you need to know.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2125083_use-carambola.html

I've never tasted one, let us know what you think when you have.

I was unpacking groceries this evening and in the bag was a carambola (star fruit) that I didn't buy. I didn't go through the produce section at all because I still have a couple of bananas and an orange on hand, and the salad bar at work has cut-up fruit available every day, which I really like. I've never even handled a carambola before. I called the supermarket and they told me to just keep it; they can't accept it back. I wonder if it will keep till Christmas, since it's star-shaped. Do I peel it? what does it taste like? Do I need to put it in the refrigerator? Can I put the star-shaped slices on a plate, maybe with cheese? On the other hand, maybe it's super sweet and I could put it out with cookies. Does it have seeds? It's about the weight of a small tomato, and that's kind of what the skin feels like. The lady in front of me must have bought it, I noticed she also had some bananas and apples in her basket. The sticker says "Product of Florida" on it.

Your comment about the grocery store not being able to take it back reminded me of my last trip to Dunkin' Donuts. We ordered two (only two, I swear) donuts, one for me, one for Jonah. They only gave us one. I handed the bag back and said, "just put it in here...", and she said that she couldn't! What a flipping waste. The bag...not the donut. That was eaten almost by the time we pulled away from the window. : /

Blog Entries

Hi

They are such pretty fruits. Don't peel it, just wash it well and slice it yes, serve it with cheese. You might want to eat it tonight as they don't really stay fresh very long.

I saw a candle at the Yankee Candle store today named Whiskers on Kittens! They have a whole line for the holidays called "Favorite Things" ... some of the others are bright copper kettles, warm woolen mittens, and crisp apple strudel. Their candles are crazy expensive, but I use their car jars in my front closet. Makes the place smell nice.

p.s., the star fruit was yummy! It has a texture similar to grapes, and tasted (to me) like citrus fruits.

Coffee in the morning is the ultimate chicken and egg scenario.

I'm not awake until I have a cup, but you have to be semi conscious to make a pot.

Made a pot yesterday morning and evidently lost count.....Oops! (It was a good wake-up, though!)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Mother Nature, you can turn the snow-making machine off now! We have more than enough snow!

Mother Nature, you can turn the snow-making machine off now! We have more than enough snow!

I can say the same for Indianapolis. It snowed all last night and ALL DAY today. With the frigid temps, the snow will stay around for awhile.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    WTH? I just got a spam offer for....(drum roll please) a CORDLESS earwax remover!

I though those were called Q-tips?
    Or a friend with a straw?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I'm close to reaching the point of Wonko the sane.

Several people on the truck forum I'm a member of have posted threads complaining that their trucks are out of gas/won't start etc. when the "Miles to E" display on their instrument cluster shows they still have XYZ miles until empty.

Gauges are estimates (at best) and they're complaining that their truck couldn't compensate for their stupidity.

There were warning labels on bags of candy at CVS that the bags were not toys.

We're not litigating ourselves to intelligence.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Several people on the truck forum I'm a member of have posted threads complaining that their trucks are out of gas/won't start etc. when the "Miles to E" display on their instrument cluster shows they still have XYZ miles until empty. [snip]
    We're not litigating ourselves to intelligence.
    And I am guessing they don;t do regular maintenance, never checked the accuracy of their fuel gage, and don;t account for things like temperature fluctuation affecting the viscosity of fluids, etc., ....
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    And I am guessing they don;t do regular maintenance, never checked the accuracy of their fuel gage, and don;t account for things like temperature fluctuation affecting the viscosity of fluids, etc., ....

And they're complaining on the forum because Ford won't cover the issue on warranty coverage.