Thread: Computer help please?

Computer help please?

Help please! My Windows Live Messenger keeps being closed and I do not understand why. Below are the messages I get when it happens.

The only thing I can think of is that I am currently using a program called Hotspotshield to enable me to read blogs and access Facebook to chat with my kids. ( I live in China so cannot reach these sites any other way.) It happens however even when I am not using Hotspotshield? I have been using Hotspot quite a while before the problem started though. Any suggestions please? I have run AVG and Spybot neither of which made any difference.

The messages I get are as follows:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Live Communications Platform has stopped working

A problem caused the the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    When I click that one off, this one appears from my tool bar:

To help protect your computer Data execution prevention has closed Windows communication platform.Click to learn more.
    --------------------------------------------------------------When I click on it, this page appears:
    ================================================== ====
    What is Data Execution Prevention?

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you.

See also
    Data Execution Prevention: frequently asked questions
    Change Data Execution Prevention settings
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Any suggestions please?
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Are you running XP or Vista or Win 7? A lot of this seems to come up with Vista...

I Googled this and found a few suggestions:

Okay I searched around for a soltion and I found one syying delete my contacts folder and it worked. So if anyone else has this problem try goign to Run and type in

%userprofile%\local settings\application data\microsoft

and locate the windows live contacts folder and delete it. It worked for me.
    I may have solved this problem.. msn_angel.gif

Do any of you other people having this problem use a specific XP theme... e.g. Vista Inspirat, AlienGUIse etc..

I was using an AlienWare theme (AlienGUIse) .. I changed back to the Windows XP theme...

Now I don't have the WLM Communications Platform error message
    Turns out for me it was a program called Nvidia forceware networking manager. This has also been the cause of the problem for other people. If you have this installed you can remove it in control panel>add/remove programs. Restart your computer and install wlm 9. The conflict should be removeed and it should work w/o the error.
    Ok folks i had the same problem, "Windows live communication platform has encountered a problem and needs to close" but i have now solved it, (at least for myself).
    I read a post by someone else saying that windows blinds was the problem, i use alienguise. For those that dont know, windows blinds is an appearance package that lets you change the look of your windows, i use XP so the standard look is a silver or blue header bar with a red square and white X as the close button.
    OK this is what i did,
    Click your start menu and click on the search button.
    Where it asks what to search, select All files and folders.
    Set your search to look in your main hard drive, usually C.
    Type in the search box wlcomm and click search.
    Within a few seconds it will find two items, the second one on my search was the one i wanted. In the "Name" column it simply says wlcomm, in the "In Folder" column it says "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts.
    Right click this one and select Properties.
    Click the "compatibility" tab and under "Display settings" click the check box that says "Disable visual themes", you want a tick in this box after you have clicked it.
    Click "OK" and you should now be able to use messenger without the error message box coming up.
    I have signed in and out several times without any problems.
    Oh yeah, i am still using Alienguise for those of you that uninstalled your appearance packages, you dont have to.
    Hope this helps you guys out.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you so much Catty! I will try those during the day and see if if any of them work for me.

Happy New Year!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi