Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parrot Fish

This topic talks more about euthanasia with fish: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=15737

Basically you have to do it yourself. It can be hard, I'm sure.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

I use The Blunt Force method as its the only quick & painless way. I don't trust the Clove oil method, I fear the fish wont die fast enough & it still feels pain, but cannot move.

The method I use is pain free to my pet, but very painful to me. It takes me a LONG time to actually do it & i prefer to be along before, during & well after the event. I do a lot of crying as I DON'T want to do it, but I know I have to as my pet is suffering & I love him, so it must be done. If it was legal for me to shoot him that would be my preferred method as nothing is faster & more destructive to the area then a bullet, or shot at close (but safe) range. But it's not legal so I have to use my hands.

Trust me, putting a fish down is a million times worse then putting your mammal down, as Vets do the "killing" for you

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post

Trust me, putting a fish down is a million times worse then putting your mammal down, as Vets do the "killing" for you

I don't see how it could ever be 'a million times worse' killing a fish than it would be having your dog/cat, your best friend, put to sleep. I'm sure it's hard to do to a fish-it sounds sad... I couldn't ever do it..but I know that I'd rather do that than have my dog pts anyday.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by Genny View Post
    I don't see how it could ever be 'a million times worse' killing a fish than it would be having your dog/cat, your best friend, put to sleep. I'm sure it's hard to do to a fish-it sounds sad... I couldn't ever do it..but I know that I'd rather do that than have my dog pts anyday.
    I love my fish like family. They greet me when I come home & they like to chase my finger, they like to nibble my finger tip & when my hand is in the water, many of them come up & swim near my fingers, watch when I'm doing or nibble on my arm & tickle me. Many have names & many have outlived my RIP mammals. So I'm bonded with my fishy friends & there isn't anything worse then to have your friends blood on your hands, pants, shirt, & sometimes your face while your killing them. After you've killed them, you then have to look at their bloody mangled body, and have to clean up... Trust me, it's worse.

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    I love my fish like family. They greet me when I come home & they like to chase my finger, they like to nibble my finger tip & when my hand is in the water, many of them come up & swim near my fingers, watch when I'm doing or nibble on my arm & tickle me. Many have names & many have outlived my RIP mammals. So I'm bonded with my fishy friends & there isn't anything worse then to have your friends blood on your hands, pants, shirt, & sometimes your face while your killing them. After you've killed them, you then have to look at their bloody mangled body, and have to clean up... Trust me, it's worse.
    It sounds like you butcher the fish.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by Genny View Post
    It sounds like you butcher the fish.
    ummmm I assumed you read the site that was posted on how to put a fish down... Blunt Force is messy, but it's the quickest way to put a fish down with no pain... & to do it right means a LOT of force... a lot of force means a lot of head trauma.. a lot of head trauma means a lot of blood. Now add speed to the mix (you need speed & power) & you get blood spray. It's not a whole lot like a murder scene, but it is enough to make a little pool in your hands (if collected)

Little fish don't make much of a mess, but the sizes of fish I typically have are large fish.

I tried using bags but they got in the way & made the process too slow. My goal is to get the fish out of the tank & have it dead within seconds of being removed from the tank. I do my darnest to prevent min stress to the fish.. Basically the only stress it really gets to experience is me trying to catch it in a net, & before the fish realizes its out of water its dead.

Clove oil is usually used with alcohol. You overdose on the clove oil and then to be sure that the fish is dead you add alcohol. So they are unconscious when you add the alcohol. I could never bring myself to use the blunt force method, it would be too hard. I understand where your coming from with it being harder. I do see that. And yes losing a dog might be harder but putting them to sleep is often only a decision when it comes to mammals, with fish you do it with your yourself.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_Hamster View Post
    Clove oil is usually used with alcohol. You overdose on the clove oil and then to be sure that the fish is dead you add alcohol. So they are unconscious when you add the alcohol. I could never bring myself to use the blunt force method, it would be too hard. I understand where your coming from with it being harder. I do see that. And yes losing a dog might be harder but putting them to sleep is often only a decision when it comes to mammals, with fish you do it with your yourself.
    I understand what the Clove Oil is "suppose" to do (it should kill when given in high doses, but it doesn't in all cases <- why I wont use it), but it's mostly a guess as there are no sure tests to prove the fish feels nothing. What if the fish can feel but it's just paralyzed? Then you add the alcohol & the fish feels it's death... I personally can't do that. If people want to assume it's doing what they think it's doing, then whatever helps them sleep at night. But I can't. If there is a different chemical/liquid I can use that I can get access too that's not gonna break the bank, then I'll switch methods... I do hope someone can get scientific proof that Clove Oil does in fact work on all fish species, or at least a list.. then I'll accept that & switch right away as Brute Force sucks really really bad

"Metomidate solutions ≥2 mg l−1, clove oil and Aqui-S™ solutions ≥20 mg l−1 prevented plasma cortisol elevation above resting level"
    Study here

This is a measure of pain as the cortisol is released in response to pain and stress.

Edit: to be a bit clearer it's solutions meaning each solution one clove and one the name brand each tested at those levels, not one solution of both mixed.

"Because clove oil causes a reliable and rapid loss of
    consciousness and induces hypoxia (critical components to
    eliminating potential pain), it appears to meet the criteria
    (AVMA 2000) for euthanasia. Based on these recent results,
    we suggest that clove oil may be considered acceptable for
    euthanasia when used at high concentrations (>400 mg/L).
    As indicated by the AVMA for other chemical agents, fish
    should be left in solution for at least an additional 10 min
    after cessation of opercular movement."
    Link to PDF file

"In addition, the stress experienced by the fish pre mortem was assessed by measuring cortisol, glucose and osmolality levels in blood plasma just after death (post mortem). Based on these physiological indicators, the results revealed that of the three methods considered, 1 ml·L− 1 clove oil was the best method for stunning sole because it not only ensures a good final quality product, but also is acceptable for a direct human consumption."
    ignore the part about eating them
    Link
    Last edited by TamanduaGirl; 01-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.

So..I was just wondering...when do you believe it's the right time to kill your fish? When it's almost dead and just lying on its side? Or just when it's acting sick, but still swimming?

If its acting what most people see as sick (fins clamped, tilted or sporatic swimming), its often just a toxin in the water like nitrites. No need to kill the fish before testing out easy treatments. It really just depends on the situation.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    If its acting what most people see as sick (fins clamped, tilted or sporatic swimming), its often just a toxin in the water like nitrites. No need to kill the fish before testing out easy treatments. It really just depends on the situation.
    It's also a case by case situation, but medical treatment should be attempted before killing a fish, unless the illness/injury happened rapidly & the prognoses is low~non.

I have 20yrs of Fish experience so I'm fairly good at it (not a crazy pro, just good). I also know all my fish well & remember about 90% of the ones I have lost over the years.

'When they have little or no quality of life, are not trying to survive anymore and there is nothing that can be done. And the best clue of all is if you know that it's time.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters