Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pigeon aka Pidgelet aka Pidgie Pie

Pigeon aka Pidgelet aka Pidgie Pie

My green eyed lady began her trip to the Bridge around 11:00 AM today. I could tell that she was ready to go during the last couple of days and today she made it clear that she could hold on no longer. She went into acute renal failure and lost all control of her legs, so I helped her on her journey so that she could go peacefully and painlessly.

Pidgie came to me one spring day while I was outdoors playing w/my Border Collie Heidi. I saw a car slow down at the bottom of my driveway, a door opened and a cat was tossed out. I thought "Oh no, not another one" and she took off running. A little later I was picking red raspberries on the back of my property and each time I reached into the berry bush, I heard a meow, which sounded like a cooing pigeon, thus her name. When I searched, I saw her hiding in the bushes. I coaxed her out and saw that she was pregnant; not only that, but due to deliver her kittens at any time. I carried her back to my garage and she prematurely delivered three kittens, two of which were stillborn and the other died shortly thereafter. When I took her to the emergency clinic, she had every bug and worm that you could name. Surprisingly, her tests came back clean for all the bad diseases. So w/a lot of TLC and good vet care, I nursed her back to health. My vet guessed at her age then to be at about two and a half years old.

Her herstory is rather sketchy. My neighbor said that she was from a local farm, that the old farmer would kick her in the head if she got in his way and I believe it b/c she would never allow anyone to touch her head until just a few years ago. She would cringe and swat at your hand but never hiss. She was the most sweet natured cat I've ever seen. She would've made the perfect pet for a little girl.

She was definitely the matriarch of the Fur Posse and she kept my li'l Puddy Tat in line. When I first brought Puddy home at five weeks of age, she was a little terror and she tried to head butt Pidge who calmly placed her big paw on Puddy's head and held it to the floor until she calmed down. It's as if she were saying "You just relax, youngun". The love of her life, Boo Bear, was always close by and if he left the room, she was right behind him until she caught up w/him and then she walked beside him, always rubbing up against him as if to say "I love you, Boo Bear". He had been rather distant w/her the last couple of days. I think he, too, could tell that she was on her decline. When we left the house this morning, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a happy ending, so I took her around to the ones of the Fur Posse that I could find, Boo being the last. I said "Say goodbye to Pidgie, Boo Bear" and he turned his head away. He knew.

I'll miss her sweet face and her gentle touch as she tapped me on the arm, asking for just a little attention. Those green eyes looked as if she had the wisdom of the world behind them. She was a calm spirit, a loving companion and a good friend. She lived to be nearly 22 years old. This house will never be the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pidgelet with the sniffles.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	44528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Can't you see I'm resting.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	718.7 KB 
ID:	44529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0217.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	44530  
    Last edited by Medusa; 12-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Rest in peace, beautiful one
    find yourself a good place in the sun
    Rest for a while, now your troubles are done
    Your green eyes will shine forever
    In the hearts of those you loved
    Send some purrs to their dreams
    As you watch over them from above.
    Pain and trouble are now gone forever
    But your love will remain, forever and ever.
    I've Been Frosted

Mary, I am truly sorry. I have to tell you, that line about saying goodbye to Boo really got me, I could not hold the tears. It will be a major adjustment for you, and for Boo, as well as the rest of the Posse.

It was time for dear Pidge to rest. It was well deserved, sweet baby. Peace to you and the Posse, Mary.

Love and hugs,
    Maggie
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. You've written a lovely tribute to her. I will cry for her for a while then I'll go light a candle. Hugs for you.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Oh, Mary, I'm so very sorry for you and Boo and the whole Posse. I'm just crying my eyes out. What a beautiful tribute to a sweet little girl who has been so very dearly loved ever since she came into your life so many, many years ago.

Rest in peace now, dearest little Pigeon. Your Meowmie and your Fur Brothers and Sisters miss you and grieve you so deeply.

Please be comforted with the knowledge that you are all together for always and will greet each other again One Fine Day...

Love and deepest sympathy,
    Pat and Sydney and Poppy and Elmer and Bob and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I want to express my condolences as well. I'm so glad that you were able to have another year with your Pidge after her heart failure scare. I know this is a terribly difficult thing to go through, especially now with everything else going on too. I do hope that you find comfort in knowing that you did absolutely everything in your power for your girl. I enjoyed reading about how you got her. You may have mentioned it before, but I didn't remember it all. I'm going to borrow a phrase from a very kind and wise woman. Keep the faythe.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

I am so very sorry to hear this. She was much loved.

I'm so sorry for your loss dear Mary, Pidgelet was loved and treasured so much, I know she'll be missed terribly

My prayers are with you, may our loving Lord comfort you.

Big hugs
    astrid

You loved her. Nothing else needs to be said. Love never dies and she will be with you in some form forever.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Pidge had a short rough start and then a long bliss filled time as Ruler of the Fur Posse. She was meant to be with you and the kitties there.

After 21 years, it was time. She hung on, I expect because she knew how heart broken you would be. Finally, she let you know.

Hugs to you, Mary, you gave her a wonderful life.

Mary, I am so very sorry for your HUGE loss! How blessed you were to have had this beautiful girl in your life for so long. Pidge was blessed, too, with a wonderful life with you and the Posse! I will light a candle in her memory.

(((HUGS))) to you and your Fur Posse!

Mary

And the tears are flowing again. That was a beautiful tribute and story about your lovely little Pidgeon.

Hugs to you Mary and RIP Pidgie.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I lit a candle to help her find her way to the bridge. We have lost so many of our precious babies this year.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brave little girl, please lend your courage to Boo now, and let Mary know you're happy.

Love, Columbine

I'm very sorry Mary. May Pidgie Rest in Peace.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla