Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Torn ACL *3/6/10 8wk Check Up*

4 week recheck 2/6/10

All is well as of today. Vet said he looks good.. using it well. Incision looks great. Still a little swollen, so back to using the warm compress every day for 10 min or so. Other than that, looks good. If you asked Eli, he'd tell you he feels great! Of course, that's because he thinks he needs to run around like a crazy dog... getting stir crazy I think.

No stairs until 8 week Xrays come back ok unfortunately.. so 4 more weeks of sleeping on the couch for me! =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

8 week post op check up today!

Eli had his 8wk check-up today... They took new x-rays today and can see lots of healing going on along the cuts. Said overall they look very good. Only thing thats not so good is one of the screws looks 'bent'... well, curved a little. Said he was being to active when that happened! Ooops. So we'll be using benadryl when needed to keep him calmer. He wasn't really concerned about the screw, but said he needs to be less active. Said he can now go up the stairs ONCE a day... slowly. And 5 five minute walks twice a day. Short leashed... physical therapy so to speak.

Two side notes.. #1: Dr V went to a tightrope seminar a few weeks ago.. said the only place they practice it is in MO, since it was developed here at Mizzou. Said the infection rate is 18%... due to the braided cord they use to stabilize the joint. And since the cord is braided... it is really hard so it can wear down the holes in the bones over time and cause more play in the joint. He bought a tighrope kit because he has a dog he will be using it on (story #2) and he brought it in to show us.. always awesome how much he's willing to explain. He was appalled by the infection rate... seeing as he's yet to have an infection on any orthopedic surgeries in his practice.

#2: Another patient of his had TTA done on one leg a while back (Pit/Sheppard mix)... well 10 days after surgery, it was pulling on a leash, trying to get to another dog and re-broke its leg! TTA is like $2500! Owners were crazy to put the dog in that situation... So now the only thing to do is tightrope, because of where the bones broke. He was explaining how he will be doing the surgery.. sounds pretty tough.

Good to hear things are going well. Hopefully the bent screw won't be a problem. It's tough keeping them calm.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Glad to hear he is doing well Also glad to hear you found a good vet like him. Sounds like a keeper so far!

I'm glad Eli is healing!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

4/3/10: 3 Month Check Up

Took Mr Wooties to the vet today as its been almost exactly 3 months since the TPLO. Dr V said he is and I quote "ecstatic" about how well Eli is doing. He said he doing exceptionally well. Watched him walk for a while and stand around the office. Said there's still a slight limp -expected & normal- but he actually tends to use the repaired leg MORE than the other. And when he stands, he also shifts a lot of weight onto it.. which can be good, that its feeling that good, and bad, that there might be an underlying cause in his hips and/or other knee. We're going to get the Xrays our other vet took of his hips so he can see them.

On a side note, we're thinking he might have the beginnings of corneal dystrophy.. have been noticing some cloudiness in the centers of his eyes. Dr V looked at them, said its COMMON in Boxers, but doesnt think it is serious at this point. Just to keep an eye on him and make sure it doesnt get worse.

He also listened to his heart again, didnt hear any irregularities, and thinks the irregular EKG during surgery was probably anesthesia-related. So thats definitely good!

So he is free to take a 30 min walk once a week, in addition to the 2 daily 5 min walks, and stairs are FINALLY ok.... Of course, as long as he's not flying up and down them. =)

It's great to hear Eli is doing well and gets to walk a bit!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

That is great news. I am so glad to see all is going well!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I love dogs too.
    It is my most relaxed time when I help my puppy have a bath ! Thanks