Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Just a bit of a rant....does anyone else feel that the whole Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays thing is out of control? Honestly, I don't understand getting offended over someone wishing you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, Happy Hannukah, or anything else. I'm a Christian (although I feel that religion is man-made...but that's a whole other discussion...) and I say all of the above, depending on who I'm talking to. They have all been said to me too...and I can't imagine get offended by someone wishing me well. I just don't get it. Why is it all such a battle? I do think the whole PC thing has gone way overboard. I wish we could all be a little more like Christ and love each other for who we all are.

Jen!

My beloved friend has a column on this very subject:

See: http://etiquetteer.com/
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Jen!

My beloved friend has a column on this very subject:

See: http://etiquetteer.com/
    I love it! Exactly what I was trying to say, thanks Karen!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I will continue to say "Merry Christmas", and sorry if I offend anyone. Afterall, what is Christmas? - it's a celebration of the birth of Christ.

Have the folks that celebrate Quanza or Hanukkah changed their greeting to "Happy Holidays"? I doubt it, and what's more, they shouldn't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I so aggree as well..
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I will continue to say "Merry Christmas", and sorry if I offend anyone. Afterall, what is Christmas? - it's a celebration of the birth of Christ.

Have the folks that celebrate Quanza or Hanukkah changed their greeting to "Happy Holidays"? I doubt it, and what's more, they shouldn't.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I am sorry i don't quite understand the meaning of your post, are you annoyed that people wish you a merry xmas, i am confused, personally i have no problem with it,and i am not religious so it does not have that meaning for me, it is a time to get together with family and friends,have a nice meal together,exchange gifts and just enjoying sharing the moment once a year.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    I am sorry i don't quite understand the meaning of your post, are you annoyed that people wish you a merry xmas, i am confused, personally i have no problem with it,and i am not religious so it does not have that meaning for me, it is a time to get together with family and friends,have a nice meal together,exchange gifts and just enjoying sharing the moment once a year.
    No I think she means that she is annoyed that people throw a hissy fit if you say "merry christmas" anymore like it's some big Taboo to say Christmas.

I understand not everyone celebrates Christmas but I would never be offended nor tell someone not to say it if they wished me a happy Hanukkah (sp?). I would take it as it was intended... a seasons greeting said with good will wishing me pleasant times and not as some hidden agenda to convert me or some other nonsense. How ANYONE can take offense to such a thing is beyond me. It's simply a nice gesture to wish you a happy day.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

merry christmas!!!!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you, need to get the brain working again lol, i get it now. I cannot say i have ever come across this myself,some people will get offended at anything i guess.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

LOL,
    I have a bad habit of being Anti-anti Christmas.

I try to treat cashiers and sales people with respect and politeness, but when they act stupid and begin to give you the anti-Christmas attitude I sometimes get into trouble.

I'd get my change and mutter something profane if they gave me any guff for telling them "Merry or Happy".

FWs are the same people who Kum Bah Ya for world peace, but they cannot drop the pretense of their bitterness for a few weeks out of the year.

They are offended by you wishing them a happy holiday season.

I am offended they are offended.

And I let them know.

I am saying Merry Christmas this year to all. The patients, people at the stores, neighbors whom ever, be they black, white, green or plaid. If you don't like it, frankly I don't give a fig.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

I celebrate Christmas, many do not. I try my derndest to be sensitive to what someone's religion might be. If in doubt, and I often am, I either ask what they celebrate, and go from there, or, wish them a happy holiday.

To me, I wouldn't wish someone a happy birthday if it weren't their birthday anymore than I would wish everyone a Merry Christmas, if they don't celebrate that holiday.

If I want my greeting to be sincere, it should reflect the beliefs of the person upon whom I am bestowing it on, right? Not mine...otherwise, you would wish yourself a Merry Christmas. LOL.

I always say Happy Holidays to strangers.
    That way I cover all my basis.
    If I know them, them I wish them whatever Holiday they celebrate.

I do not see why people should care eitherway.

----<---<--<{(@

I won't shop at any store that refuses to use Merry Christmas or have Christmas trees. Sorry Holiday Trees just doesn't cut it for me. It's not that I'm offended by someone wishing me a Happy Holiday. It's the fact people are going over board to toss Christ out of his own holiday.

You can't even hear any Christmas music any more that even remotely hints at the real reason for the season.

I don't get offened by other people's religions or lack there of. So, why do they get offened by mine?

I did get wished as Happy Father's day once. Something I was never ever expecting to be wished. I thought it was funny.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a job where I don't have to be too politically correct - but because of my previous one, where I absolutely DID have to be politically correct, I find myself saying "happy holidays".

So I'm with catty1: MERRY CHRISTMAS! Feliz Navidad! Frohliche Weinachten! Vesele Vanoce!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678