Thread: Jumbo ratties

Jumbo ratties

I have two female rats, and one has no interest at all in her pal. I had rescued both from the "feeder bin" at different times. I always have seen those huge rats called "Jumbo" rats, I don't know if that is their offficial name. Well, anyways, for my Christmas present I am getting a huge rat/ferret cage. I was wondering if I could put one of the "Jumbo" rats (female of course) w/ my two adult feeder (now pet) rats. I just want my little Shadow to get a buddy who acually plays w/ her. I wouldn't want the new rat to hurt her though. From my view, when I see the Jumbo rats they look extremely laid back. Has anyone ever kept a Jumbo rat with a regular? Would it be okay to do so?

Thanks,
    April

Jumbo just means they are older feeder rats so bigger. Like pinkies are the babies. It would probably be okay but try just letting them in the cage together for supervised play time in case they do fight you can stop it.

Thanks, I will try it and let them get used to each other.

It should be fine, it's always good to keep rats with at least one buddy, but they seem to esp. do well in groups. I would DEFINITELY make sure you research how to properly introduce rats as it can be incredibly difficult and rats can be territorial and it can end in tragedy if not done properly. Females seem to be easier to intro then males, and the younger the better. Definitely never put them in the same cage together until you are past the introduction phase, which can take a while (for me, with my females it took a few weeks because one of the new rats was very stubborn and feisty lol). It takes time, so have patience. Sometimes it goes smoothly immediately but always go through proper intros first. I know people who have had rats kill other rats because they didn't do introductions properly. Rats can be BRUTAL when they are feeling threatened or territorial. www.jorats.com is a great rat forum, and they are great with helping out with introductions. I'm not gonna lie, doing intros with my girls was frustrating, and sometimes I wondered if they'd ever get to a point of acceptance but they did with time. But I cannot stress enough that the absolute worst thing you could do is put them in the same cage together. Don't do that until they are fully socialized and introduced to each other. I've had other intros go great really quickly though, so who knows. Good luck!! It's always fun getting a new cage and decorating it eh.

Jumbo rats is just a name for large rats. Usually males are jumbo size but some females can get big too.

thanks for all of your info!

i did go to the website and it was a big help and all your information... Long story short the reason my ignored the other is because she was sick! she passed away in my hands a couple of weeks ago and i cried for a while. then, i got another regular female rat and unfortunately.............she is pregnant lol.

thanks
    april

The link posted above should be extremely helpful for your new rattie and her litter, btw. Sorry about your little girl and congrats on your new Mommy-rat.

Introducing can be hard but it's usually worth it to see rat plies. <3

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

yeah.........it helped that my other rat was so depressed that her partner went that she was very willing to be cared under a new wing! lol....... i am trying to find willing homes for the ratties ahead of time if she actually does have them.. I am not expert on what a pregnant rat looks like. so hope everything goes well

thanks
    april