Thread: Good vibes for Jersey? :( *UPDATE: POST 9*

Good vibes for Jersey? :( *UPDATE: POST 9*

Jersey ripped one of her front dewclaws nearly right off at the base last night at flyball. We went to see the rescue's vet, and said the entire nail had rotated 60-70 degrees, and he would suggest removing the dewclaw, as this is the second time it's happened.

So now Jersey is in surgery to get both front dewclaws removed. I am feeling so bad and unsure about it. I think mainly because they were not the fleshy-dangly type, but the ones that usually shouldn't cause issues.

I cried about it earlier. I need some reassurance right now.
    Last edited by BC_MoM; 12-14-2009 at 10:51 PM.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Aww, poor Jersey. It sounds like the right decision, though, and like it's quite painful right now. Better to remove the possibility altogether, as this is already a repeat incident.
    You'll be in our prayers.
    I've Been Frosted

Pawsitive thoughts for Jersey. Sounds like the right thing to do as this is the second time. Let us know how she is.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Poor girl. She should be just fine. Positive thoughts everything goes well.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Oh poor Jersey!! I am so afraid of this exact same thing with Taggart. I want to get them removed now, but the vet doesn't recommend it. The first time he tears one of them, they are gone!!

I hope Jersey has a speedy recovery so she can get back to fly ball.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Ouch! Poor Jersey girl! I can imagine how much that would hurt! You'd think breeders would have the dewclaws removed on herding breeds, they are so active! I know they remove them on Labradors and other hunting breeds....

Prayers for the pretty girl! And kisses!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Aww, poor Jersey. I'm sure surgery will go great though. And now you don't have to worry about those pesky dew claws!!! Give Jersey lots of love when she comes home!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Well, Jess think of it this way - once they are gone they will not cause her anymore pain and won't ever get in the way again! That's always a positive. I'm sorry though, I can see why you're upset. Poor Jersey, come on through it quickly babe!

Jersey's been home for about a couple hours now and is pretty out of it. Her paws look nasty, but I think she'll be okay. Still wondering if it was the right decision, but there's nothing we can do now except help her mend.

Her paws are pretty twitchy. Does anyone know if this is normal? Anesthetic wearing off? Nerves?

Here's a picture of her resting I took on my cellphone. Bad quality, but it's probably a good thing so you don't have to see the paws in detail, lol.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Good to hear Jersey did ok. Give her a gentle hug from me. I hope she heals quickly. Please don't be so hard on yourself, it was probably the safest thing to do, under the circumstances.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

The twitching should stop... usually that shows the drugs wearing off. I'm glad Jersey is healing. The paws will be better in the end.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Jersey is an active dog, and I know some body with Dachshund that gets it's dew claw ripped when its scratching at the door, it was so excited his mommy was coming home and that was how that happened, she had both of the front dewclaws removed. Jersey will be better off after the surgery even though it may be a tad more painful now its better than having to go through it again and again.

Positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..