Thread: What is a good Re-Home Fee? Update

What is a good Re-Home Fee? Update

Okay let me redo this and organize it and clarify it sorry about that...sorta ranting.

I mean if its fresh kitten no spay/neuter very little vet care 10 bucks is reasonable.

I'm saying what if you bought 500-800 dollar pet I don't think 150-200 is unreasonable if the cat is spayed/neutered and pretty much well breed well maintained cat. Now I'm not saying 100 is too low or that you should charge less. Which I guess I get it a lot more people are willing to put 200 or more into a dog than a cat because dogs are viewed to have more purposes than cats since dogs generally can be tagged as a watch-dog, guard-dog and other various reasons since dogs go out more and do stuff with the family more than cats do. Cats get tagged as pest control, there are probably a few roles cats are good at but don't get credited, like being an alarm clock.

Though it seems like all those people, don't realize that asking for 150 is rather small compare to 500 dollar bill which can rack up pretty easy in a single accident or a serious health issue. I mean are they going to do whats right for the cat? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on some one with small pocket book I kinda have one too, which is why I don't have a pet right now. Oh Probably need to put a Rest in Peace sign for my Stormy...yeah this is defiantly not about my cat. I would hate if I ever had to re-home him since he had allergies.

Maybe I am bit wrong after all purpose of re-home ads are to find a good home for a pet so it doesn't go to the shelter, rescue or get put to sleep. So I guess as long as a person does ensure the pet gets a good home which is the main point of charging a fee then a larger fee or any fee doesn't really need to apply as long as the previous owner is fine with the outcome of their pet. Which I'm sure if I spent 100-700 on a kitten and 2 years latter I find out something horrible happened or I pass away I would be happy to know my cat went to a good home fee or no fee.
    Last edited by Tora Oni; 12-14-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Confused

I am trying to figure out what your post is asking. Sorry. It is very difficult to read/understand.

If I read what I think I read, you asked how much you should ask for a kitten you have prepared for re-homing/adoption.

My answer would be as much as you spent on it. If you can show the person(s) your receipts for the vet, proving that the cat has indeed had all its shots, then they will feel comfortable with your asking price.

No one would expect to be paid for kitten food or litter..... doctor visits, treatments, spaying/neutering...surely.

If I were to come up with a figure, I would say around $50 or $60, but only you know how much you spent at the vet!!!

Did that answer the question I think you asked?

Well, I just re-re-read your post and saw that you are thinking about re-homing your established cat/pet, not a kitten. I would not do Craig's list at all. I would try friends, family, co-workers, your local papers where you might know the people .... and could go to their home. Even a no-kill shelter would probably be better than Craig's list. And I would make sure he found a great home rather than make money on the deal.

That's my opinion, doesn't make me right! I am sure others will chime in.

Good luck.
    Last edited by sasvermont; 12-12-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Another reason to ask for a fee when you adopt out any kitten or cat is because there are too many bad people out there looking for the "Free to good home" animals.. to use in experiments or as bait for training their fighting dogs.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Well the Animal Welfare Association charges 150 Dollars and the Cats that they adopt out are 100 % Guaranteed to be heathy Cats!
    Spaying and neutering is expensive, for neuteringand needles its about 250 dollars in Hamilton and about 350 for spaying which is more complicated.

If people are not willing to pay for a Cat whos already neutered or spayed what sory of Cat Guardians will they be when thier Cat needs Vet Care??

I paid 150 dollars more than the 350 the Lady at the Cattery asked for Pouncierge and Miquelito as 500 Dollars to me was a very very fair price for Two Healthy Pure Bred Oriental Shorthairs!!!
    For the love they brought us 5000 would have been a fair price as Pouncierge was being curling up with Michael making My Owesome Orange Senior Kittyzen A Very Happy Cat.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I believe that Craigslist requires that you charge some sort of a "rehoming fee", but then they say that pet "sales" are prohibited. In between those is a huge gray area. Honestly most people looking for a cat on CL aren't going to pay much for one, because there are always tons of free ones in the newspaper. If you have a purebred or otherwise desirable breed you might be able to get $50-100 which is still less than a shelter would charge normally, but there's a real good chance that some jerk or nosy nancy is gonna flag your ad before a serious adoptee even sees it. Pets cost money to maintain that's for sure, but any time you advertise to the general public, they're gonna want something for as close to nothing as you'll let them get away with paying.

Most people who have spent the time and $ to properly vet an animal aren't going to recover that amount on Craigslist. I know this and most people reading the ads know this, but some folks who post animals for adoption still want to break even and it's probably not gonna happen.

As far as CL goes.... if it was me, and I had a litter of run-of-the-mill kittens that needed a good home, I probably would do one of 2 things (1)worm and vaccinate them, adopt them for maybe $10 apiece and hope and pray that the future owners get them spayed/neutered later. or (2) Charge a higher adoption fee, but promise to refund the $ as soon as proof was provided that the animal was spayed or neutered. I suppose in essence that the animal would then have been adopted for free in the long run, but the new owner would have to initially come up with some money (which weeds out the total dead-beats) and then spend whatever other $ the animal needed for routine care.

It's a slippery slope when you ask for money in return for a pet, especially via Craigslist. Some would say a particular rehoming fee is reasonable while yet another person would say that you are selling the animal if you get any money at all for it.

First off I would NEVER use Craigslist too find a home for an animal, too many animal brokers lark there.
    As to a fee most shelters and agencies I work with charge from $ 100 - 200. per cat. Higher for pure bred kittens and lower for older. This also eliminates the animal brokers. Some even require you to bring the animal in 2-3 months after adoption. Just so they can be checked.
    Over the last 8 weeks I have moved 37 cats & kittens, including 1 EX grand champion. So far all have been placed except 2. I have even meet some of the adopter’s.
    All I can say is be very careful.
    GILL & Crew;

Thanks everyone, for those who couldn't understand the thread, which I can't blame you I read it myself seemed kinda foggy...guess ranting more less.

Thanks Sasvermont: As for my cat Stormy if he was still around I probably only asked 20-45 since his shots cost that yearly. Depends on who I go to. I think a basic Domestic cat would probably be decent price.

Phesina: yeah that is why I think there should be some fee.

Catmandu: Totally agree with you, I thought about getting 2 cats one from pure breed rescue and another Domestic Longhair since I really like to have something like a ragdoll but I also love Domestic Longhair.

aTailof2Kitties: Don't you think that it is weird they require a small re-home fee but they don't specify what small is? I mean I saw a chinchilla for 300 but if you saw a dog on there for 300 oh boy it was going to get flagged. Its just weird.

GILL: I don't get pets from craigslist but that is how we got Chi. As for myself I've only got a motorcycle from there...looking for yard sales and what not. The pet section I might just not look at any more. After all its just depressing.

I was fotunate Tora , in that the Lady who has Balinese and Siamese Cats was having trouble selling her Two Oriental Shorthairs as they dont really look like the pure breds that they are.
    And Hamiltons a poor working class city where people arent as interested in pure bred Cats.
    She knew I would take good care of Her Babies as I have with BJ and John Hancock.
    I love Miquelito My Little Orange Lion and Pounciege the Precious.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Gee, I loved them both when I thought they were just regular ol' cats you had saved. Now that I look at pictures of them both, I can see it in their faces. A very pretty breed. I know you would love them both no matter what their breeding. All of us would.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

what annoys me about craigslist is when people flag a posting for a hard-to-find or desirable breed dog because they think the fee is too high. I mean if you had an English Mastiff puppy they'd flag you if you ask too much (in their opinion) but if you ask for less then you'd get overloaded with a butt-load of deadbeats trying to get a truly valuable dog for next-to-nothing. Then they turn around and breed the hell out of it for profit, or can't afford to feed it anyway.

You don't see this as much with cats, around here anyway. I think most of your everyday schmucks looking on CL probably don't know one cat breed from another enough to justify paying a high adoption fee, no matter what the pedigree. Those are the ones who flag postings and prevent someone who would truly be interested from ever seeing it.

Yeah that is the screwy thing about it people selling pets without fixing them and then asking new owner to do that if they adopt them. Not that I think that is wrong to ask but in my opinion I wouldn't trust someone else to spay and neuter a pet if I hadn't already chances are the ragdoll kitten I saw getting a home could have been a back yard breeder. I mean I seriously don't think that happens so much with cats as someone who thinks ragdoll is going to be docile and lazy and not get pregnant because Its so laid back... People come up with the weirdest ideas. Like one girl on youtube that ragdolls make less mess and damage than a domestic with no pedigree. I was like have you ever took not on the size and note that they are a bit clumsy sometimes. Some can knock over more because they can weigh around 20lbs. They are a big cat breed some say biggest but I've heard too much to say for sure. Plus my cat never tore up our stuff, I mean yeah the bottom of the furniture which nobody cares about he never crawled up in it which I was worried about but honestly he probably prevented a lot more damage than he caused due to our last dog's fear of thunderstorms.

Thanks everyone, I was questioning if I was wrong on charging a decent pet fee.
    Last edited by Tora Oni; 12-14-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: adding