Thread: It's WINTER here....

It's WINTER here....

The low temperature tonight is -33C or -27.4 degree Fahrenheit.

Monday night, it'll be -35C or -31 degree Fahrenheit.

The high temp tomorrow is -16C or 3.2 degree Fahrenheit. (High of minus 17 on Tuesday).

Calgary - the high tomorrow is -20 or -4 degree Fahrenheit.

But it will be clear and SUNNY!!!!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Catty1,

We're looking at a snow storm on Wednesday. I start a pet sitting job complete with hot tub, big screen tv (the size of my living room!!) and a Tempur Pedic bed to sleep on with the 5 dogs I'll be caring for!!! Let it snow baby!! Bring it on!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

It was a darn cold walk this morning to the train. TV news said it was -26oC. With the bit of wind I kicked up while walking it was much colder than that. Glad to be inside and warm now. Checked the temp at Sundre where my parents are and it is now -36oC.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

It snowed here in California, and not just in the mountains. My niece called me on my way to work and said it was snowing. I was driving to work and all the hills were white. It is amazing!! I've lived here all my 36 years and the closest I've seen to snow was a lot of hail that we made a teeny snowman out of.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Winter is in Florida too. . .it was 52 degrees and raining when I left for work this morning.

I was cold and had to put the heater on.

I don't think I could survive in minus degreeage. I would have to hibernate or sit and cry all day long.

Stay warm guys!!

Winter ((hugs))
    Cathy

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I don't know how you guys do it either. It's about 40 degrees F or a little above that and I'm freezing. When I used to live on the east coast this probably wouldn't have bothered me as much but I was also much younger then too. I'm so glad that I don't have to worry about driving in the snow although sometimes we will get some ice patches.

How do we do it?

Bundle up and look like the Michelin Man for about 1/2 the year.

Plug in our cars when it gets nasty like this. For people in warmer climes who think I am pulling their leg, there is an item called a block heater. It attaches to the outside of the engine (the block) and has an AC plug that sits outside the car. Plug it in to an outlet (in most if not all residential and public parking spots), and a low current warms the heater, and keeps the engine and oil from, basically, freezing. Makes it easier on the battery and the engine!

"Block heater cords" are outdoor electrical cords - THICK.

Subaru

This one looks like mine - the parking rail with a power outlet and the car "plugged in".

A running joke is referring to winter hats as 'block heaters'.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh... my.... God..............

We're getting some snow tomorrow night, but nothing like that, hardly ever if at all!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

God knew what he was doing when he made me a southerner. I have lived in snow country and was exposed to arctic weather while aboard ship. I did not function well and hated every moment. We have cold weather in Alabama but Im talking teens F cold. When we get an occasional Alberta Clipper we can have nights below 10 f. When we get the clipper it is usually clear and sunny, the clearer it is the colder the nights are. Usually no matter how cold the nights are the weather warms up to shirt sleeve weather by noon. We are way over due for some snow. Last measurable snow here was 1993, when we had 11" that lasted several days. That 11" of snow was a record for
    this area.

This morning in Calgary it is -25.5oC. At least there doesn't appear to be much wind.

The other thing about these temps is the itchy winter skin that comes with them. There isn't much humidity here, dry as a bone you might say. With that is alot of static, so be careful how you pet kitties. These days it doesn't seem to matter how much Aveno I use, I'm still itchy.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

The snow came faster than the weather channel said. I could see my grass this morning! Now its gone. I have to work until midnight and one of my greatest fears is being snowed in at work. You should have seen all the people preparing last night at midnight. Normally I don't pass any cars or people on the way home from work and last night there was as much traffic as there would be at noon. It is fun to see Arizona get more snow than Wisconsin, granted they have bigger mountains. Its not fun driving in this though, no salt has been spread yet and people are sliding everywhere.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton