Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apollo's Been Having the Diarrhea POOP IS FINALLY FIRM FOR NOW! :)

Apollo's Been Having the Diarrhea POOP IS FINALLY FIRM FOR NOW! :)

Ever since I brought Apollo into our place he's had runny poo. At first I just thought it was from him eating kitten can food and just be a tiny kitten.

Well we wormed him probably about 5 times and that still didn't help. We sent his poo away to a lab to be analyzed and here is what he tested positive for:

C. Perfringens Enterotoxin & Feline Corona Virus

Here is a thread I posted about Apollo.

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=156825

My vet is supposed to be calling me back some time today and I just worry about him. He's heathly otherwise, active, playing like a mad kitten.

The vet put Apollo on amoxicillin and metronidazole. He started that on 11/19/09 and he will finish his last does tonight.

We started Apollo on Hills Prescription Diet W/D Forumla, he loves it. We started his new dry food on 11/20/09.

Melissa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	November Mid  2009 (14).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	44421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	November Mid  2009 (11).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	900.1 KB 
ID:	44422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	November Mid  2009 (45).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	44423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	November Mid  2009 (19).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	44424  
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 12-18-2009 at 10:42 AM.

I wish I had a microbiology book handy!!! But, since he is on an antibiotic, have you been giving Apollo some acidiphilus(sp) to keep the " good " bugs in his gut happy?? That might help with the loose bm's....Good luck....He is a very cute orangeman!! I think Ralph Timothy would be his good buddy!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

http://www.answers.com/topic/food-poisoning

Food-poisoning bacteria that produce toxin in the gastrointestinal tract following their ingestion include Bacillus cereus, Clostridium perfringens, enterotoxigenic E. coli, and V. cholerae. Bacillus cereus and C. perfringens are spore-forming bacteria that often survive cooking and grow to large numbers in improperly refrigerated foods. Following ingestion, their cells release enterotoxins in the intestinal tract. Enterotoxigenic E. coli is a leading cause of travelers' diarrhea.
    Enterotoxin: n. A toxin produced by bacteria that is specific for intestinal cells and causes the vomiting and diarrhea associated with food poisoning.

http://www.cat-health-guide.org/feli...ona-virus.html
    Feline coronavirus (FoCV) is a virus that causes mild symptoms in most cats. In rare instances (1%) it can lead to a condition called feline infectious peritonitis (FIP).
    Prayers for wee Apollo! :-)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Just heard back from the vets. They want to start him on a hypo-allergenic food and they want to run a blood test for : Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (Maldigestion Disorder) in Cats

That is going to cost $120.

We just got done fixing him and they did a blood test then but that was just to check his levels before going under and so that whole procedure came to ~$200 just for the fixing and blood check.

Now another $120.

I already owe my vet so much money and my husband is off work at the moment because he injured his foot and we are not sure if he tore something. I'm just stressing a bit. We've already spent about $700 on Apollo so far.

Melissa

The vet asked my husband yesterday if Apollo's poop seemed greasie, I said no originally but I wasn't certain. Well last night Apollo pooped again and my husband and I were able to look at it and my husband said it seems very greasie to him and I agreed.

I called the vets this morning and the vet said that if his stool is greasy then we need to get that blood test done and it could mean he could have Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency which would mean that Lifelong treatment woud be required.

I'm so stressed right now. His appt. is at 6 p.m. tonight to get blood drawn.

Please say a pray for him.

Melissa

Prayers for sweet Apollo.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Prayers and hugs for Apollo. I hope soon you can get a diagnosis and start treatment. Sounds like you have a good Vet.

I had a cat with EPI, and once Molly got on the enzynmes, things improved greatly!!!! We would mix the enzymes in baby food and give them to her before she had her meal. If you read about EPI, the cat is literally starving to death!!! Molly improved and she was about 15 at the time....prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that this new test will help diagnose what's been causing Apollo's diarrhea. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care.

Prayers and hugs from MD for poor little Apollo!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

We took Apollo to the vets yesterday and we saw our regular vet (there are 2 vets now at the practice and we talked with the newer vet the other night who recommended the blood test) and she said she doesn't feel Apollo has the Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (Maldigestion Disorder) because he looks to healthy and he's been gaining weight, etc.

She said she would prefer to wait a month and then recheck him and see how things are going then.

She did give him this tube that I'm supposed to give him twice a day and that might help firm up his poo. The vet also said we should continue to feed him the W/D food for now and we can change that at a later date but she thinks he will outgrow this.

We mentioned it looked greasy and he has a lot of gas too when he's going poo and she said it could be a maldisgestion disorder but she doesn't really feel that's likely since he looks good and healthy.

So I guess we are going to wait a month and then take him back in but in the meantime I'll just keep an eye on his poo and we'll see what happens.

I know kittens can grow out of this and I know that's what she's hoping for and I'm glad she's not just wanting to waste our money and stuff but at the same time I'm a little worried about him because he always seems so hungry. He knows the other food is out in the kitchen but he really begs for the W/D food which is good that he likes it.

So this is where it stands for now and I guess we'll just wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the prays,
    Melissa

When my Ming was a kitten, he did that. He had the runniest poo and gas, also! He outgrew it in about a month or two. I took him to the vet for a checkup and they said, like your vet, that he was very healthy because he played and was gaining wait. I would just wait a month before I started to worry. Still, I will send prayers up for Apollo, it can't hurt!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Sending positive vibes to you and Apollo. Please give him some loving from my orange beauty Willow.

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    When my Ming was a kitten, he did that. He had the runniest poo and gas, also! He outgrew it in about a month or two. I took him to the vet for a checkup and they said, like your vet, that he was very healthy because he played and was gaining wait. I would just wait a month before I started to worry. Still, I will send prayers up for Apollo, it can't hurt!
    Thanks! It's just we've had him since Aug. 09 and he had the runs then and still is having the runs. I'm giving him the meds they gave him that's supposed to bulk him up but that's just not helping it seems, but I'll give it some time yet.

Thanks,
    Melissa

The other thing I wanted to mention was Apollo seems to sleep a lot. I know cats sleep a lot but he really really sleeps, I know he plays hard but he sleeps a bit too much we think.

Just need someone to tell me their kitten has acted like this and it's ok. I'm just worried about him.

Melissa