Thread: Do your cats understand you?

Do your cats understand you?

I was wondering if your cats understand and acknowledge when you talk to them. Corky will come to me if I call his name, I don't think Tibby really knows her name yet. But both cats understand NO and when I say "dinner time" or "come and eat" both cats jump off the cat tree and race into my bedroom. Tibby also knows "get on the bed" she jump up and lie down next to me. What things do your cats know?
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

All my cats know their names. They also know what "fishies" (their morning treat) means as well as "supper" (which is usually just fresh water but they associate that with bedtime too). They all know what "no" means even though Nutmeg likes to pretend she doesn't. They also know what "what are you doing" means. If I'm happy they will talk to me and tell me about their day (at least that's what I like to belive) but if I'm angry (tone of voice) they will stop immediatly and have guilty looks. Bassett knows what "be still" and "lay down" means, and she also knows what I'm talking about when I say "do you love your mama?" because she always gives me headbumpies and hugs when I ask her that. They also know what "do you see a birdie" means because if they are sitting at the window and I ask that they chatter outside. I talk to them all the time and usually use the same expressions so they catch on.

Maya understands us very well !! Of course , if she decides not to leasten , she is a genius in ignoring too !
    Baby Inka of course has to learn everything yet ! Right now , she is meowing at everything she sees (her meow , sounds more like a "mow" , and in a very thin voice ) .

Mine understand their names. I'm not sure if they understand other things I say, but they definitely pick up the change of tone in my voice, body language etc.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

They understand a LOT. Sometimes I think it is eerie. But it does vary from cat to cat. Sterling, for example is very smart. He likes to play fetch, and sometimes his toy gets thrown where he can't see it. But if you tell him where it is, like "it's over by the stairs" he goes and gets it. Amazing!!
    Another thing they know is if they are making a lot of noise while bathing (I call it "slurping") all i have to do is clear my voice and they know that I am talking to them!

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Oh yes! Rudie understands every word I say to him and always has an answer ready for me in different tones.

Eddy is more an individual and won't really come if I call her name or anything. Only if she's outside. She'll be home within 5 minutes after I call her name. And that's what's most important for me.

My kitties come when I call them...they don't know their individual names yet, but they know the tone I use. They understand the word NO! and Get off the table! Sometimes they acknowledge that I've said no and then just stare at me like I know you told me No, but what are you going to do about it?! All I have to do then is raise the squirt bottle and it's flying kitties off the table. I don't even have to squirt them anymore...they see the bottle and know.."uh oh...Mom really means it this time!"

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Luna understands a lot! She knows her name, and she knows exactly the meaning of the words "essen" (eating) and "spielen" (playing). Her favorite words are "kitty light", 'cause that is her favorite toy! She always replies to me when I say these words, it's very cute!

Kirsten

Edwina knows the usual stuff...her name, "no" (okay sometimes), "turkey/tuna", "on the bed", but also..."come on" or "let's go" (she follows me) and "get it!" (as in get the toy mouse.) She also knows "company rules" which means "don't jump on the table and inspect the dinner plates, there is company here" but I'm sure that is a tone of voice thing.

Ritzy is quite conversational...and does know her name...when she is sitting in a relaxed position, and you call her name, even softly, it will make her tail flip in a very distinctive manner.

she does understand NO, but does choose occasionally to exercise her kitty veto rights

When I say kee kee brush, she comes and stands and turns so I can brush her all over, then lies down so I can get the 'undercarriage"....(she almost likes this TOO much).

"Get the mousie" elicits this run of excited, chirruppy merrroowws...and a VERY excited look, while she gets ready to chase and retrieve lil fake mousies
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"