Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apollo Is Being Fixed Today! **Question - About Males Being Fixed**

I have assisted the vet when it was spay day for SBR and the insision for that is not stitched up.. We shaved things but it wasn't noticable when the job was done.. Just watch it if it has you worried and if it looks odd in any way, call the vet..

My vets always let me pick them up the same day... provided it was done early in the day.. Maybe that vet didn't get to it until late in the day and that's why he had to stay overnight.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Anikaca77 View Post
    Well I picked up my little guy today he's at home in the bathroom confined. The only thing I think is weird is they leave the incisions open on his butt.

Does anyone else’s vet do this?

All of my other boys cats came home the same day and they were fine. I don't recall my other vet every saying the wound was open I was always told to watch it but on most of the male cats we have they are all fuzzy so it was hard to tell where the area was.
    They did that when Diego was "fixed" too. Didn't cause any problems. Just kind of strange, or so I thought.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

You have got to be kidding.. I know Vets are differant.. But I have used several Vets & they have never said that.. Mine all said just the opposite of your boy is fine when he comes home.. Now yes if its a Female with stitches then you show extra of possible confinement from others..
    I put him in the bathroom, they told me he should stay in there for a week so he doesn't cause any stress to that area or cause it to bleed.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Hummm, the strays and ferals SBR does are released back to where they were found the day after surgery, so are the females. Maybe that vet is just a real worrier?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

my vet left the incisions open but never instructed anyone to confine the cat afterward

I can't imagine why he'd need to be isolated for a week. Every cat that I've ever had neutered was running around as soon as he got home.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Yes it's normal for them to have an 'open' incision area. I don't know the specifics of why, but that's the way they do them where I work. As long as your kitty isn't licking that area alot or something is oozing out, he will be fine.

As for staying overnight, every vet is different. Some vets prefer more pain meds and observation than others. Neither is wrong or right, just different ways of doing the same thing.

As for confining him for a week, that's probably a vet preference also.

Where I work standard after-care instructions for a kitty neuter are....

*Restrict activity for 5 days, confine only if cat is tearing around alot.

*Check insicion area daily looking for signs of infection, swelling, or drainage.

*Normal grooming of the area is fine, but if cat keeps at the area distract it, if that doesn't work, call and we can use an e-collar if necessary.

*Keep cat indoors and no bathing for 10 days.

I have 4 male cats that were neutered at different times by 2 different vets and that was my aftercare instructions on all of them. We had no problems with healing at all and I only confined for the first night on Bear, Pooky & Jack, but had to confine for 2 days for Josh.

I'm sure your baby will heal up just fine.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thank you all for your input.

Last night was a tough night for him. He hates being confined. He woke me up around 12:30 a.m. last night and I went in and he was out of food so once I gave him some food he settled down. He was just up again around 6:30 a.m. wanting attention and wanting out.

I think we will keep him in there for just a little while yet since we will be leaving to go over to my parents for Thanksgiving but when we come back maybe we will see how he does out with everyone and then we'll see how he does.

Thanks for the info & Happy Turkey Day!

Melissa

SNIP Clinic around here I volunteered one day to wake up the boys. Most had little opening from surgery, another thing is my cat ripped his stitches out, after the night after, we didn't have other cats so we just let him roam. Though kinda was worried about the stitches being ripped out...but lucky us nothing ever came from that. Yeah most cats stayed over night and then next day they got picked up, when we got our dog spayed there they said just don't let her get too hyper and bouncy but she was running all over the place like nothing happened. Nothing came from that either.

Don Juan was neutered at the Humane Society before I could bring him home. They kept him overnight. When I picked him up, I didn't see any stitches, just the place where the fur was shaved around where his "kitty bits" used to be. And they didn't advise confinement, other than the usual advice to keep the new adoptee in a single room until he was used to his new home.

Of course, he was an adult (18 months) at the time, and quite healthy. Perhaps Apollo has an age or health issue that made the vet issue these particular instructions?

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

When Groucho was neutered, our vet kept him overnight. Even though I missed him, I was happy that he stayed so the vet crew could keep an eye on him after the procedure. The next day Groucho was very happy to come home and he was his normal self.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Getting fixed

My baby is getting fixed today. I dropped him off at 8 a.m. and I won't be able to bring him home till tomorrow morning.

I miss my baby Apollo already.

Prays that everything goes well and he heals up just fine.

Thanks,
    Melissa
    hi I'm Tracey,
    Two of my cats are males. Iwas really nervous about Bambi getting fixed. I had a female that got fixed but Bambi is my special one. I was a wreck all day until the vet called and said he was just fine. what a relief. I went to the vets office to see him poor boy. He was so out of it, but I had to see him. When he came home he was fine. I'm sure your cat will be just fine also. I really missed him that night. Write back in the morning to let me know how he's doing, Tracey I'll keep him in my prayers

being fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I can't imagine why he'd need to be isolated for a week. Every cat that I've ever had neutered was running around as soon as he got home.
    Hi I'm tracey
    My Bambi was ready to eat, drink and play. He was fine to me I know he was hungry and thristy. Bambi was just very happy to be home with his mom.

My vet does a great job with male neutering. Both males I have had fixed there came home and just started to run and play with the other cats. Ming raced up his kitty tree to the top the second I let him out of the cat carrier. It is really a minor surgery, so my vet says, and most of the time they are in very little, if any, pain. Buddy came home and just started playing and racing around. It neve hurt them at all.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!