Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you know what you wanted to be?

I'm 24 years old. I went through 4 years of college, I graduated with a 3.47 gpa and I still don't know what I want to do. I work for a cleaning service for $9.25 an hour and its a comfortable enough living that its not motivating me to find something more prestigious.

I went for a bachelor of arts in sociology, which is almost nothing without two more years of school. The problem is, I burned out of the brain work. By the time my senior year rolled around and I finally did an internship, all the actual brain work I had to do in the job scared me right out of that line of work. Who knows, one day I might actually want to do something with the degree, but it may just be that I forget all I've learned by then.

I'm $15,000 in debt and making payments that are 66% interest and 33% principal. The only thing I don't regret is the experience as a whole. I learned a ton even if I'm not applying it right now.

My advice, take a single class or a few single classes at a community college just to get a feel for things you may want to do. You don't have to commit to anything that way. I might take a French class at the YMCA when they have the next one.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I know I want to pursue a PhD (I've wanted to for a long time, I'm not really sure why), hopefully I will get accepted into a program when I graduate with my master's in December. I guess it's just because I love learning and if I could, I'd be a student forever. This is the next best thing!

I, too, would recommend going to school. You will increase your chances for finding a better job and can figure out what you like as you take classes. I found college to be way more enjoyable than "real" work. You can take advantage of things like studying abroad and get to experience things you may not have the opportunity to do again.

All of you have really made me think about things and I think that I am gonna take some classes...decide what I wanna do later down the road...take the basics...and see what happens I'm really interested in the medical field...I think that I would be happy w/ something like that. I'd love to have another little job on the side-maybe photography..I really don't know yet but that's just what I've been thinking about...
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

There are a wide variety of tests and books out there to help you identify things you are suited for. You could use those as a starting point, and then consider each one.

Back when I took all those tests, it was via seminars, appointments. But I think today most are on line.

Here is one, based on Myers -Briggs personality type:
    http://www.careertest.net/

Google career test for a load of hits.

Books that were popular "back when" included
    What Color is Your Parachute? (I loved this one!)
    Do What You Love, the Money will Follow

I knew I wanted to be a lawyer from 4th grade. The teacher asked all of us one day, and got the usual: girls said teacher or nurse, boys said Indian chief, fire chief, and cowboy. And then there was me, said lawyer. Next PTA meeting, teacher told my folks, "I hope you've started a college fund for this girl."

I never considered anything else. That was my goal all along.

Then I found I hated the work. Hence, started taking the tests I've mentioned above. Yuppers, law is NOT what I am cut out for!

Even after high school, I had NO clue what I wanted to be. I found everything exciting. So , since I always spent time in my dad's advertising office, won awards for writing, etc, I went to an Advertising/Journalism School for a year. I spent a few months helping out my dad for no pay. Dad also had a Travel School that he insisted I attend. Found out, I LOVED it and spent 30+ years in the business.

Now that I'm not working, I remember my mom begging me to be a nurse. And hating to be told what to do, I refused.Now that I home cared my parents and am a constant visitor at nursing homes (relatives), I realize I probably missed my calling in the medical field.

If you love helping people, why don't you go to school (a jr college?) for a physician's assistant? Physical therapy is a great job and always in demand, as well as Xray tech, MRI tech, CAT scan etc. I know girls who decided to go into that field (Xray tech) and found a great, well paying job. It's hard work, but what isn't? You sound smart and dedicated enough to do it! Good Luck!

I've been Boooo'd!