Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm Had To Go To The Vet-Storm's Been Diagnosed Latest Update 11-19-09

Storm Had To Go To The Vet-Storm's Been Diagnosed Latest Update 11-19-09

Hi everyone. Storm's still not doing well. He'll be fine for a few days and then he'll start vomiting again. Last night was not a good night. I gave all of my cats their monthly advantage treatments and then I attempted to brush all of their teeth with special cat toothpaste. I then fed them later on and shortly after this Storm threw up his dinner. I gave him 1/2 of a pepcid but it didn't do the trick and he threw up liquid. He later drank some water and then threw up more liquid.

I called Adobe and spoke with an emergency vet and he told me to take the water away and just monitor him. If he seems lethargic then I should bring him in. Well Storm was very restless and needy but not lethargic. He wanted to sleep next to my head or be on top of me or as close as he could get to me. This is very unlike him because he usually sleeps at the foot of the bed or in one of the cat beds. I could tell that he was very uncomfortable.

He threw up more liquid at 5:25am and later when I got up I put down some water and he drank like he was very dehydrated. I later gave him a little baby food with some Forti Flora mixed in. He threw that up about 10 minutes later. I called Adobe and I was able to get a 9:30am appt. The vet took x-rays and the techs drew some blood for blood work. The x-rays turned out fine but I still don't know the results of the blood work.

The vet was supposed to call me this afternoon but I never received a call. When I called Adobe this evening, the vet was already gone for the day. They do have the results but the vet needs to talk to me about them. I'm going to try calling tomorrow morning around 9am. Storm also received sub-q fluids and an anti-nausea shot. I can tell he's feeling a lot better. The vet also recommended that I give Storm 1/4 of a pepcid in the morning and 1/4 at night so I've been doing this.

Storm's also lost some weight since his dental surgery which didn't surprise me. He was 13.9lbs and now he's down to 12lbs and something. He feels so boney to me. He was very hungry tonight but I gave him only a little bit of his food to see if he can keep it down. So far so good. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I'll try to update you about his blood work as soon as I can. Thanks.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 11-19-2009 at 12:13 PM.

You have been through so much with your furbabies! Poor you, and poor Storm!

I hope the bloodwork shows an answer.

Glad to hear Storm kept a bit of food down.

hugs and prayers....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Poor Storm, tell him I know how he feels. Maybe it is food allergies? I have some that have made me throw up for 12-16 hours, and then be afraid to eat for a day or so afterwards ...
    I've Been Frosted

Oh poor boy. I'm glad that he's feeling better but let's pray that this doesn't occur again.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers for Storm. Such troubles, I hope they are over soon.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Thanks everyone. Storm had a nice peaceful night last night and so did I. He slept in the living room in one of the cat beds. I fed him some canned food this morning and a little dry and so far so good. I called the vet that saw him yesterday and she was already seeing a client so I left a voice mail message for her to call me back. Hopefully his blood work will come back good. I'll update you when I can.

Prayers and a candle for your boy!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Glad to hear he seems to be feeling better. Hoping to get a good report back from the vet!

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Thanks again. I finally heard later this afternoon that Storm's blood work is normal which is great news. My regular vet said it would be good to do a test on him for pancreatitis. They had some of his serum left over so I okayed the test and I should know these results hopefully on Thurs.

Storm looked great tonight and he ate very well too. So far he's been able to keep everything down. I'm still giving him 1/4 of a pepcid tablet in the morning and evening. Can animals get acid reflux disease or heartburn? I e-mailed my vet these same questions. I wonder how you'd test for this. I also wonder if maybe the Forti Flora was causing him to become sick. I may never know what caused this but for now he's doing great and I hope he'll continue to do so. Thanks again.

Dear Storm, please stay healthy and happy. It worries your meowmie so much when you aren't feeling well.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

So far Storm's still doing great and I'm still giving him 1/4 of a tablet of pepcid in the morning and the evening. I still don't know the results of the (PLI) panceatitis test though. My vet said that animals can get acid reflux disease and heartburn and some have to take meds for them just like people do. Maybe this is his problem too. Thanks again for all of your concerns.

We have had several cats on the 1/4 tab of pepcid before their meals. And they have done nicely... Glad Storm is being a good fellow and taking his meds....
    Nine is Fine!!

I Spoke Too Soon

Well I spoke too soon but I also may have caused Storm to become sick last night. I was eating popcorn and Storm kept begging me for some. In the past I'd give him 1 or 2 pieces but no more and he'd eat it without any problems. I gave him 1 piece of the regular popcorn. This was the kind in a tin with the 3 kinds, cheese, regular, and caramel. I fed everyone again before I went to bed.

After I was in bed for a little bit Storm came up to me and he wanted to sleep by my face again like he had the last time that he wasn't feeling well. I though uh oh maybe he's not feeling well again. He then snuggled with me and later jumped down and started hacking like he was going to vomit. I put him in my bathroom just in time and he vomited some liquid. I went to check out the rest of my condo and he had also thrown up his food and it had the 1 piece of popcorn in it.

While I cleaned that up I remembered that I still had some Cerenia left over from when my Ziggy was sick. This is the same stuff that was given to Storm on Monday which made him feel better. I gave him the 0.6cc by shot and it did sting a bit because he flenched. It didn't really seem to make him any calmer or soothe him right away though.

He was very restless for the rest of the night so he and I didn't get a very good nights sleep. I woke up at around 8:15am and I fed my cats their first morning feeding. I gave Storm a little dry to see if he'd be able to keep it down and so far so good. Before I fed him though I gave him another 1/4 pepcid tablet. I saw some white foam on my plastic runner and there were litter clumps thrown every where. He had tried to throw up in the litter box and he or one of the other cats kept digging and they made a huge mess. So some time after I gave him the Cerenia he had vomited again and this is an anti-vomiting med.

I went back to bed for a while and Storm was still a bit restless but he finally managed to settle down and sleep. I woke up again around 12pm and I fed my cats again. So far so good. I had e-mailed my vet about all of this earlier and she said that the Cerenia should stop him from vomiting and that maybe the popcorn triggered this. She also said that the PLI test can take up to 1 week to get the results.

So now I hope that Storm is over this vomiting episode and I'm not ever going to give him anything other than his food or pill pockets and definitley NO MORE POPCORN!!! I'm sorry this is so long. Thanks for reading it any way.

Poor baby! Having to give up popcorn! Well, I'm sure your special kitty treats are much tastier and better for your delicate tummy. Get well soon, and give your mom a headbump... she deserves it.

[b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

It makes sense popcorn would not go well. We had one instance where a single pine nut was unaccounted for when we were cooking, and I've always been a little militant when it comes to animals and people food. Later that night, my husband heard Pinot getting sick...guess what was in it? The pine nut.

Give Storm a lot of extra lovies from everyone here and definitely NO MORE POPCORN!! Keep us posted.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!