Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else who can't stomach Christmas commercials?

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    I HATE commericials of any kind! I know what I like to buy and all the loud, obnoxious pitchmen in the world are not going to change my mind.
    Whoa, where were you when Billy Mays passed?

I LOVE the polar bear commercial that advertises coke. It comes on every Christmas...I love that little seal too They're so adorable!!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I like the petsmart ones but the others I can do without.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties View Post
    *cough* At the risk to starting a big rammy - this is a good reason to have a National Health Service - you don't get health products advertised. OK, I'll go now.
    Boy, are you lucky!

I've been Boooo'd!

LOLOLOLOL,

There was a commercial that used to tout the 'measure of love' for your woman.

Was it DeBeers, the diamond company?

A man should spend 6 months of his salary for an engagement ring.

----------------

I was given this nugget of wisdom years ago-

What are you going to do with a diamond when you need a meal? Water and Power payment? Rent?

Side track? The people who are telling you to buy gold in this business climate.

At least you can cut small pieces and eat that, It will sate your hunger and you can recycle them!

-----------------

The commercials I love are the ones with the little snippets of the proposals on the ski slopes or in some far off locale.

Should the marriage fail? You'll never go skiing or to see the Eiffel Tower again, without thinking of the godless heathen your were with then.

I had a coworker who was married on Halloween. It was a costume wedding - a nice thought, she later lost her husband to cancer, so I wonder how that affected her life afterwards!

There is way too much emphasis on buying a stone for someone you love, and way to much emphasis on what women expect to get.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

There is way too much emphasis on buying a stone for someone you love, and way to much emphasis on what women expect to get.
    Diamonique! Big bling - little money.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

yeah all these stupid sappy jewelry commercials drive me nuts lol. I mean don't get me wrong... I am a HUGE sap but my idea of sap is not spending the down payment of a house on a piece of jewelry I am not going to wear anyway lol. Like right now there is one where this lady is up at 2 am with the baby and the hubby comes downstairs and says "I couldn't wait" and then gives her this giant ring. Uh... thanks but I'd rather you take a turn with the baby and let me get some sleep

I remember last year on Valentines day we saw someone up in a hot air balloon... oh yes FEbruary 14th and some whacko was up in a hot air balloon. it must have been FREEZING up there. and I said to Brian "You KNOW there is a proposal going on up there right now" Man I can think of much better ways to propose than in the middle of winter 100's of feet off the ground. I like winter but come ON haha.

but I do love that coke commercial too. it is so cute and I love that song. I actually do love the majority of christmas commercials. anything with the upbeat christmas carols... love em. there is one out right now... it's gotta be for computers or something I'm not even sure but this girl who is presumably away at college is webcaming with her mom and her mom is taking the laptop around the house to show her the decorations and then she goes outside and her daughter is there on the front step to surprise her. I like that one. It's sweet and THAT is a good christmas gift

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Diamonique! Big bling - little money.
    I was out shopping with my RBGF and we walked by a jewelry counter/store.
    She stopped and told me she wanted to look at the earrings. Naturally, I went to the real diamonds and started to browse there.

She told me that she found a pair! I said I'd put money down on them and pick them up later. She got this weird look on her face and said, "down payment?" I said, 'Yes.'

She started to laugh because the pair (diamonique) she picked were about 30 bucks, they were huge honking stones but she didn't care. She told me later that she didn't mind that they were cheapos.....she knew I loved her anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    I remember last year on Valentines day we saw someone up in a hot air balloon... oh yes FEbruary 14th and some whacko was up in a hot air balloon. it must have been FREEZING up there. and I said to Brian "You KNOW there is a proposal going on up there right now" Man I can think of much better ways to propose than in the middle of winter 100's of feet off the ground. I like winter but come ON haha.
    And not a bow in sight?

I read that some idiot rented a balloon to propose to his sweetie and he hid the ring in a camera case?

He dropped the package over some orchard and spent the next week, with a buddy, trying to find it. He eventually did, so I guess he got engaged after all!

and if i hear rocking around the christmas tree again today.....grrrr
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    I always dread the commercials & the songs on the radio.. It can get as bad as hearing election campains..
    It's worse. The election is once every four years. We have to put up with ridiculous Christmas nonsense every year. And not just for a month, but now more like three months. So, essentially, a fourth of our lives are deal with Christmas.

BAH. HUMBUG.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I could listen to the same christmas songs and the same commercials (for the most part) over and over and over and over again

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    I could listen to the same christmas songs and the same commercials (for the most part) over and over and over and over again
    I'm with you on the Christmas music - I love it and don't get tired of hearing it over and over. Sure beats rap!!! Commercials get real old real fast - for the most part anyway.

I wish the stores would hold off at least till Nov before they start pushing Christmas tho. Oct is just too darn early. I did notice around here however, that the stores seem a little slower getting their Christmas decorations and goods out this year. I was looking for Christmas cards a couple of weeks ago, and hardly any stores had any out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

My biggest peeve is them taking a beautiful Christmas song like "The Ukrainian Carol", aka "Carol of the Bells" and parodying it. I've told my singing group that I don't like the song any more because of this! Make up your own jingles, for Pete's sake!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I actually do really enjoy Christmas music, but I also hate it when its made trite on an annoying commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19
    yeah all these stupid sappy jewelry commercials drive me nuts lol. I mean don't get me wrong... I am a HUGE sap but my idea of sap is not spending the down payment of a house on a piece of jewelry I am not going to wear anyway lol. Like right now there is one where this lady is up at 2 am with the baby and the hubby comes downstairs and says "I couldn't wait" and then gives her this giant ring. Uh... thanks but I'd rather you take a turn with the baby and let me get some sleep
    This was the one I saw, too. It made me gag.

The commercial that bugs the living poop out of me are the GAP/cheerleader commercials.

I swear, I will never shop at a Gap store again, just based on those stupid ads.

----------------

And while not a Christmas commercial?

http://www.dvbs.eu.org/video/cNkp4QF...Mum-Mommy.html

This one make me laugh like a moron when I see it.

-------------------------------------------

Here's the deal....
    Men always are show as PW'ed gift givers in the commercials.

Yeah, she is all thankful now?

Wait until you hear the yelp from the bathroom when you leave the seat up.
    Or,
    "Are you going to sit there and watch football all day?"
    "Are you stupid? I never have come close to hitting the mailbox."
    " YOU tell your mom what she needs to bring!"

I want truth in advertising.......my commercials will be based on the wrath of women..

It's the sure fire way to get a man to leave you alone during the holidays, because he didn't buy you the giant ring/diamond you wanted........

Gas or Electricity.

Buy him a gas powered anything.....chainsaw, generator, model airplane or car.

He'll spend a week or two playing with it. RRRRRRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRRR.

DO NOT BUY A "One Use" Item....The more uses, the better.

A hedger is nice? A leaf blower better? Gas powered airplane will make him leave the house to play in the park.

Electricity?

That real nice all-in-one remote for him is cool, He'll spend two weekes trying to program all the codes in, only to find that the RCA remote has no code for the RCA DVD player.

A nice table saw is cool, Maybe he'll put up the shelves or try and make all the stuff he sees on the DIY channel. That will keep him in the garage for a while.

No stereo or TVs, He'll never leave the house and test you on how loud the Dolby 5.1 need to be to get your teapot collection dancing in the hutch, us men are like that.

-------------------------

And if you buy us underwear as gifts?

Tell us a huge lie like, "Don't worry, I don't expect you to sleep in them......"

Sorry, I got off topic....
    Last edited by RICHARD; 11-29-2009 at 02:24 PM.