Thread: hungry cat

hungry cat

my cats about 14 years old hes a nutuered male , he doesnt like going out much ,the problem is hes forever hungry i,ll feed him in the morning when i get up i,ll normally give him a 3rd of a big tin but upped it to half ,he has cat biscuits in his other bowl to , and i feed him early evening as well then , but after hes fed he starts meowing and runs to his dish asking to be fed again straight away , he seems so obsessed with eatting that ive started avoiding him as hes tripped me over many times and tipped my drinks , ive got 3 dogs so his bowl is up out of there reach as i have a strict rule that none of the pets touch anyone elses bowl , the dogs seem ok with this , the cat isnt anymore hes started eatting the dogs food as well, i worm him regular and the others and put a flea cure on all of them , why is he like this ?
    hes driving everyone crazy .
    thanks carol

It sounds behavioral, but has he been to the vet lately just in case? He's getting up there in years, has he always been like this?

Can you keep him out of the room when you feed the dogs?
    I've Been Frosted

Do you notice him drinking or urinating more than usual? Is he losing weight? A trip to the vet could help rule out several medical factors that cause cats to eat more than usual. Please let us know if you find out what is wrong.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Definitely a trip to the vet!!! Rule out thyroid/diabetes.....Good luck...
    Nine is Fine!!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Do you notice him drinking or urinating more than usual? Is he losing weight? A trip to the vet could help rule out several medical factors that cause cats to eat more than usual. Please let us know if you find out what is wrong.
    hes getting over weight and nothing else has changed but he keeps nagging for food constantly , maybe it is thyroid ,he is getting on i realy dont know if this is normal for an old cat to want more and more food .

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmagoo View Post
    hes getting over weight and nothing else has changed but he keeps nagging for food constantly , maybe it is thyroid ,he is getting on i realy dont know if this is normal for an old cat to want more and more food .
    No, so a vet trip is in order. If it is thyroid, the vet can check that, and likely correct it with medication.

Brain chemistry is a tricky thing - the few times in my life I have had to take prednisone, for example, I was hugely hungry all the time, regardless of the reality of what I could possibly eat, or have just eaten.

To the vet with kitty, sorry!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmagoo View Post
    hes started eatting the dogs food as well, i worm him regular and the others and put a flea cure on all of them , why is he like this ?
    He's hungry. If he's eating the dogs' food, he's hungry. Take him to your vet and have him tested. I'm also not sure why you're worming him regularly. W/good vet care, once should do it but done by your vet. A host of things could be wrong w/him. A vet visit is in order.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Flower Kitty.

My cats don't seem to have a problem with over eating or drinking to much. I usually have four kinds of dry food at all times and Flower gets her wet food around 2:30 or so everyday. They all eat a good amout of food but not over eating. If I saw a problem like that , it's time to go to the vet to find out what's going on. Now with my Bambi, he drinks a good amout of water. He's been doing it since he's been a kitten. I thought at first why is he drinking so much, the vet said the more water the better it is. Now if he quits drinking water he is sick or something is wrong. Anyway write back Tracey

:-)

hi
    ive found after being firm with him and only feeding him what he should be fed hes gotten fed up nagging , ive started putting dry biscuits down constantly to which has helped ,
    he needs a vet now anyway as hes been visiously attacked by neighbours horrid cat .
    thanks for posting i think you may be right and im going to get him checked out