Thread: Painting a room with cats around...

Painting a room with cats around...

As you know my husband and I just bought a house not too long ago. We are getting ready to paint the two bedrooms and the bathroom. I am worried about the cats being around the paint and getting into everything as cats do. Has anyone else had this problem while painting?? Please let me know. Thanks!
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Well, yes I have

I didn't have Gabe at the time, but the other two monsters were about a year old and still very, very, very active.

At first I wanted them around to keep me company, but after awhile, they were too much trouble. I would find them jumping on me if I was on the floor painting trim and they were up the ladder each time I went up. When I used the roller, they were constantly trying to GET IT. So, I put them in another room. It broke my heart but they really did slow me down.

Depending on your level of tolerance - well, good luck.

My cats ended up with every color of the rainbow on their feet.

Their last chance to be good was when I was painting a dresser and very nice burgundy color. Well, the footprints (skid marks) are still on the top of the dresser. Getting the drift of this?

Lock them away for the day!

LOL

my friend had a cat with a country blue tail for a while, it was funny. Lcukily he did not get any paint on their new "white" carpets.

Cats.......Paint.......
    HMMMMMMMM
    I don't think so!!!!!

Depending on your level of tolerance - well, good luck.
    Amen!! I know I have a hard enough time keeping everything on my bathroom counter and keeping them out of the garbage when I take a bath. I love the kitties...but they are so mischievious that I could never paint with them. If you have the patience, you have my admiration...I just know my kitties are way to active for me to attempt anything like that.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

when my fiance and I bought our house and started painting, we had to keep our cats in a room that we weren't painting at the time. I didn't want them scenting the walls wet with paint. We all survived-humans with paint on them and cats without paint on them.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I survived painting the 3rd floor by barricading the stairs. They spent all their time and energy yowling and trying to get through and managed to do so a few times. Our house is open concept so other than the bathroom and a small workroom there are no doors . They were none to thrilled to be kept out of the action as it took several days to paint everything. To show their displeasure they snuck up once and tore up the plastic drop sheet 10 by 50 feet and if that was not enough Maya peed on the pile they made with the sheets just to make sure I got the message.What should you do ? I really don't know. Next time I'm sending them to a kitty motel!!!!

When we were using an oil based primer we couldn't keep Bassett from sniffing it.. she would sniff it, then roll around on the floor, then get up and sniff it, and fall back on the floor. She was the only cat I had at the time so we just opened windows and closed the door to the rooms we were painting. It also helped to keep the fumes from the rest of the house.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info guys
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

YumYum, you will surely be calling your self dumdum if you paint with cats around. Even if they 'behave' (you did say cats, didn't you?), their silly swishy tails MUST brush up against the wall. Their nosy bodies MUST climb the ladders. Their little cute paws MUST dip, at least once, into the paint pan. Don't do it...and none of this even considers the possible health ramifications on their smaller respiratory system..fumes, etc.

But, hey, it is only paint, right?

Originally posted by Cataholic
    YumYum, you will surely be calling your self dumdum if you paint with cats around. Even if they 'behave' (you did say cats, didn't you?), their silly swishy tails MUST brush up against the wall. Their nosy bodies MUST climb the ladders. Their little cute paws MUST dip, at least once, into the paint pan. Don't do it...and none of this even considers the possible health ramifications on their smaller respiratory system..fumes, etc.

But, hey, it is only paint, right?
    When I painted my cat didn't walk through or brush up against anything. Most paints now are also non toxic for these kinds of reasons (pets, kids, etc.). I think it can all go quite smoothly if everyone is careful

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    The cats were out when I painted up here in my studio a few weeks ago, but... the dogs were here! And they were up to no good!

I have paint all over the place; they ripped the plastic floor covers; they carried the brushes around the room.

Good luck!