Thread: Stupid question - value of furniture

Stupid question - value of furniture

Ok I just need advice. A lady I work with is getting rid of her son's bedroom set. It's a solid oak twin size captain's bed with mattress and boxspring and matching dresser. We are looking for big boy bedroom furniture for Ty, and it looks like it would be good for him. It looks to be in very good shape, but it is around 20 years old. They are asking $250 for the set. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion if this seems to be a good deal. I'm thinking it is, but then again $250 sounds high for 20 year old furniture. I think they paid around $1000 for it back then.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    If it's solid oak, then you're getting a bargain at $250. It's not the age, but how well it's made, and you couldn't touch much more than a piece of junk for that amount if you went out to buy something new now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    If it's solid oak, then you're getting a bargain at $250. It's not the age, but how well it's made, and you couldn't touch much more than a piece of junk for that amount if you went out to buy something new now.
    what she said..

when I got married.. we took my grandparents sofas.. around 50 yrs old.. and yet the best no one has.. not very pretty pattern.. but very solid construction..

I thin 250 is a great price.. considering it will last him for a long long while.. (at least I wanna think it´s like an individual bed where a grown adult can sleep).. and solid oak.. A+...

maybe you can get a new matress and that´s it
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

If it is solid wood and you like it, go for it!

Here, furniture is no longer solid wood, the maximum would be solid doors but not shelves and the rest and yet so expensive! It would last forever!

First, your title: the only stupid question is the unasked one! Never apologize for asking a question.

As others have said, 20 years ago, most likely it is solid wood. It iwll be heavy to move. Today's stuff is often pressed board. You can get solid wood furniture, but it is rare and quite expensive.

You can also do a quick scan on craiglist in your area to get an idea of things, but I think this is a great deal.

You got some great advice here. How it's made is very important. I had my father's bedroom set and it was SOLID. Furniture isn't made like it used to be. A lot of it's made with particle board and doesn't hold up like solid wood does.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

YUP- great deal. The age of the piece doesn't matter, as long as its sturdy and you like the look.

I sell new furniture for a living. I see some customers shy away from what I'm selling because of the price. I understand that. Then they go to the cheapest store in town and pay $250 for a complete set. Which WILL fall apart within the first year. Their choice. My own sister in law went there because of price. I told her "you'll be replacing it within a year" and she told me, "I'm not hard on furniture, and its only me." guess what happened 6 months later? It all fell apart. she quietly replaced it and swore the family to secrecy becuase she didn't want me to say I told you so. I didn't, but wanted to!

If I had $250 to spend, and I had a choice of new furniture of a cheapo kind vs. good older stuff, I'll take the older stuff. First off, its built to last (as testimented to being 20 years old) and secondly, it has character!

Then you can tell everyone that you are living GREEN and have an awesome vintage bedroom set.

I would never, ever, ever, never, ever use a used mattress/boxspring from anyone. Ever.

Other than that, sounds like a reasonable deal.

Thanks guys, I feel better. It seemed good at first, but then I started questioning age. If we didn't buy this set I know we would be spending a lot more for furniture that can handle a toddler boy. I do imagine we will be buying new mattress/boxspring, although she did say it was all newer. Still...I'd be more comfortable with a new set. Thanks for the opinions everyone, I really appreciate it!

Solid oak? You can't get that for that price today, so I would say grab it. The older it is the better made it is. Furniture today might be nice to look at but after a few years it's junk. Solid wood furniture is rare today because of the cost.
    I would also throw out the mattress and box spring, I could never sleep on something that someone else slept on. You should see me inspect the beds and linens when we sleep in a hotel...and I mean inspect...