Thread: How can I stop coughing?

How can I stop coughing?

On the weekend, I was eating soup and I aspirated some of the liquid and a tiny peice of noodle. As a result, I have a severe cough. It's driving me crazy. I can't take cough suppressants because they make me sick, but I can't even rest because I'm having coughing fits every minute or so. Does anyone know of any home remedies that actually work? I had a doctor tell me once that antihistimines work, so I've already taken a couple Benedryl.

So.. any ideas?

Steam - boil some water, pour it into a bowl. Sprinkle some eucalyptus leaves, crumpled, onto the water, then drape a towel over your head, and the bowl, and breathe the steam.

You can also try tea with honey, that sometimes helps. No milk, though.

Breathing steam, even without the eucalyptus, may be of help.
    I've Been Frosted

Also, try breathing in little breaths - don't try to take big breaths and only through your nose. The warmer air that results may help.

You may need to sleep sitting up for a bit, try propping pillows behind you, or fold a pillow across your stomach and lean on it.

Inhale a breath, then hold it, count to five before you exhale. The next breath, hold for a ten count before you exhale. Slowing your breathing will help relax the muscles that right now are all tense and spasming.

I was an asthmatic child, and the medicines back then were not as good as we have now. I haven't had one of these attacks since I was probably 15 or so, but I can remember how awful they are.
    I've Been Frosted

Nomilynn
    On the weekend, I was eating soup and I aspirated some of the liquid and a tiny peice of noodle.
    If you actually aspirated liquid and noodle your cough refflex is working trying to clear your lungs. Until your body absorbs or rejects this foreign matter you need to be coughing. Your cough reflex was design for just this purpose. I have aspirated food twice in the last year and ended up with pneumonia both times. I have a compromised cough reflex.

Karen's advice is very good, I would try some tea as well.

Simple method of eating fresh white bread from a loaf..Maybe with some butter.. This will help soothe the lining of your throat & on down..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Simple method of eating fresh white bread from a loaf..Maybe with some butter.. This will help soothe the lining of your throat & on down..
    Actually, don't add the butter. Dairy products promote mucus production, which is why I said "no milk in the tea," as you don't need more mucus when things are already upset!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    If you actually aspirated liquid and noodle your cough refflex is working trying to clear your lungs. Until your body absorbs or rejects this foreign matter you need to be coughing. Your cough reflex was design for just this purpose. I have aspirated food twice in the last year and ended up with pneumonia both times. I have a compromised cough reflex.
    This is what I am concerned about. How long should it take for the coughing to stop? When should I see a doctor?

Nomilynn, how's the cough today - is it any better than yesterday? If it's not better tomorrow I think I'd have the doctor's office on the phone.

My wonder drug for coughs is Tessalon pearls. There is a generic for them, too (benzonatate softgels). It's an anesthetic for your upper airway. I found about them when I had bronchitis - I was taking Phenergan with codeine for my cough and the codeine made me sick to my stomach, so I went back to the doctor and she gave me a prescription for Tessalon.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I went to the clinic this afternoon and they have given me a referral to get a chest xray. The cough is no better today - I'm still coughing like crazy. Hopefully it will go away soon!

I am glad to read that you went to the clinic and will have a chest x-ray - I was concerned about aspiration bronchitis/pneumonia when I read about this. Tke care.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    I am glad to read that you went to the clinic and will have a chest x-ray - I was concerned about aspiration bronchitis/pneumonia when I read about this. Tke care.
    I concur, glad you're getting it looked into, this has gone on far too long! I hope you are able to get some real rest, at last.
    I've Been Frosted