Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Name a City Game......... Geography anyone

Livonia, Michigan is a suburb of Detroit. I have a friend from high school who lives up there. It is named for a region of Europe that is now part of Latvia. The last time I visited my friend we went to an outdoor concert of big band music ... a nice evening.

Now: A
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Aden, is a city in Yemen

Aden's ancient, natural harbour lies in the crater of an extinct volcano which now forms a peninsula, joined to the mainland by a low isthmus. This harbour, Front Bay, was first used by the ancient Kingdom of Awsan between the 5th and 7th centuries BC. The modern harbour is on the other side of the peninsula. Aden now has a population of about 800,000 people.

Back in the early 60's I was aboard the USS Essex Aircraft Carrier. During that time I flew in and out of Aden for mail and cargo, aboard the ships cargo plane. During this period Aden was still under British Rule, known then as Aden BCC.

Next n
    Last edited by kokopup; 11-11-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Naseby, England......The Battle of Naseby was the key battle of the first English Civil War. On 14 June 1645, the main army of King Charles I was destroyed by the Parliamentarian New Model Army under Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell.

Next letter Y
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Yakutat in the U.S. state of Alaska. The population is around 808. The name is Tlingit, Yaakwdáat, meaning "the place where canoes rest," but it may originally derive from an Eyak name which has been lost.

Yakutat has recently risen up as the surfing capital of Alaska. Warm Pacific currents keep water temperatures in the area mild, although wetsuits are still a must for most of the year. Several surfers reside in the town year-round, while others are beginning to creep in from surrounding areas and the Lower 48.

Next T

T is for ... Toronto!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Toronto is the most populated city in Canada and is the capital city of the province of Ontario. It has a similar city motto to Chicago. Toronto's is "City in a Park" and Chicago's is "City in a Garden" (Urbs in horto). Toronto is home to the CN Tower, the ARt Gallery of Ontario, the very cool SkyDome where the Toronto Blue Jays play baseball and the Hospital for Sick Children, which is one of the world's leading pediatric research centers. Toronto is on Lake Ontario so you can go for a boat ride or take a walk along the waterfront. My sister's former next-door neighbor was born and raised there, so when we went there for a vacation she gave us a very long list of things to see and do and we had a terrific time. I would love to go to Toronto again some time. It is a beautiful city.

Next: O

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I don't think this is a repeat....

Osaka, Japan
    It is located at the mouth of the Yodo River in Osaka Bay, in the Kansai region of the main island of Honshu.

It is believed Osaka was formed in 5-6 century BC.

next is a
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Auburn Alabama, United States. It is the largest city in eastern Alabama with a 2008 population
    of 56,088

Auburn is a college town and is the home of Auburn University. Auburn has been marked in recent years by rapid growth, and is currently the fastest growing metropolitan area in Alabama and the nineteenth-fastest growing metro area in the United States since 1990. U.S.News has ranked Auburn in the top ten in its 2009 list of best places to live in United States[. The city's unofficial nickname is “The Loveliest Village On The Plains,” taken from a line in the poem “The Deserted Village” by Oliver Goldsmith: “Sweet Auburn! loveliest village of the plain..."

More Olympic swimmers have come from Auburn's swimming program than any other university swimming program.

In the 2008 Beijing Olympics, 19 medals were won by current, former or incoming Auburn students, ranking it higher than Spain, Canada, the Netherlands, Brazil, Kenya, Poland, Hungary and Norway.

WAR EAGLE

Next N
    Last edited by kokopup; 11-12-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Nola

N is for New Orleans, Louisiana...

The largest city in Louisiana
    Home of Tulane University
    The French Quarter
    Important musical city
    Beignets, coffee with chicory, po'boy sandwiches
    Recovering from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita

Next is S

Salem Is one of the most popular names world wide

Salem, Massachusetts, a city in the U.S. state of Massachusetts
    Salem, Oregon, the capital of the U.S. state of Oregon
    Salem, Tamil Nadu, a city in India
    Salem, Ontario
    Salem, Baden-Württemberg Germany
    Salem, a place mentioned in Genesis 14:18, sometimes identified as a ......name for Jerusalem Israel
    Salem, Valencia Spain
    Salem, Sweden
    Salem, Greater Manchester, within Oldham, England
    Salem, village near Llandeilo, Wales
    Salem, above Penrhyn-coch, Wales
    Salem, Montserrat
    Salem, Alabama
    Salem , Arkansas
    Salem, Connecticut
    Salem, Florida
    Salem, Georgia
    Salem, Illinois
    Salem, Indiana, in Washington County
    Salem, Iowa
    Salem, Kentucky
    Salem, Maine
    Salem, Maryland
    Salem, Massachusetts
    Salem, Michigan
    Salem, Mississippi
    Salem, Missouri
    Salem, Montana
    Salem, Nebraska
    Salem, New Hampshire
    Salem, New Jersey
    Salem, New Mexico
    Salem (village), New York
    Salem (town), New York
    Salem, an earlier name of Brocton, New York
    Salem, North Carolina
    Salem, Ohio
    Salem, Oklahoma
    Salem, Oregon, the state capital
    Salem, Pennsylvania
    Salem, South Carolina
    Salem, South Dakota
    Salem, Texas, in Newton County
    Salem, Utah
    Salem, Virginia
    Salem, West Virginia
    Salem, Wisconsin

Next M

Macomb, Illinois

(accent on the second syllable)

Macomb is the home of Western Illinois University, which got its start as a teachers' college. John Mahoney taught English there before he got started in his acting career. WIU also hosted the St. Louis Rams training camp in the late '90s. It is named for War of 1812 General Alexander Macomb. Pella Windows has a plant there and is one of the largest employers in Macomb after WIU and the local hospital.

Next: B

Birmingham is the largest city in the state of Alabama in the United States. The Birmingham Metropolitan Area, made up by 33 municipalities, has a population of about 1,198,932. Greater Birmingham contains roughly one quarter of the population of Alabama.

Birmingham was founded in 1871, just after the American Civil War, as an industrial enterprise. It was named after Birmingham, one of the UK's major industrial cities. While The Iron and Steel industry that Birmingham was founded on are still Viable, during the 70's, it diversified to include other industries such as banking, insurance, medicine, publishing, and biotechnology. UAB Medical Center is Birmingham's largest employer employing around 50,000 people.

Birmingham is where I was born and raised. I now live about 30 miles from the city near the small town of Chelsea.

Next M
    Last edited by kokopup; 11-15-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Marsaxlokk - Malta (The next village to where I live)

Marsaxlokk is a traditional fishing village located in the south-eastern part of Malta, with a population of 3,205 people (Nov 2005). The village’s name comes from marsa, which means "port" and xlokk, which is the local name for south east. The word is related to the name for the dry sirocco wind that blows from the Sahara, comparable to the equivalent Catalan word, "xaloc".
    It was in the "bay of the sirocco" (Xlokk) that the first Phoenicians landed and set up trading posts on Malta, during the ninth century BC. During the Great Siege, Marsaxlokk harbor was also used as an anchorage by the Turkish fleet.
    Overlooking the northern arm of Marsaxlokk Bay is the hill of Tas-Silġ which contains remains of megalithic temples of the Tarxien phase, with later alterations resembling the Ħaġar Qim model. Bronze Age material has also been found scattered around the area.From the end of the 6th century BC to the 1st century AD, the hill was used as a religious site, this time as a temple dedicated to Astarte/Hera. A number of dedications to both goddesses, or to the one goddess, under both the Phoenician and Greek names, have been found. The Tas-Silġ site was used again for religious purposes sometime in the 4th century AD, when it was adapted to a new religion, Christianity, and possibly used as a monastery.
    In recent decades, the village has been the site for wet bulk operations. Malta's new main power station is here. Discharge of petroleum products takes place mainly at the Enemalta discharge installation point at Birżebbuġa. Apart from this, Oil Tanking (Malta) Ltd. operates an independent oil terminal at Marsaxlokk, which has discharge and loading points along the breakwater pier and offers storage, blending, and bunkering facilities.
    The contemporary population of Marsaxlokk is around 4,000. In the past, a great percentage of the population worked as full-time fishermen. The number of working fishermen has decreased, in part because people from other localities have moved to the village.

The famous Luzzu:

The Sunday market

View of Marsaxlokk:

Köln- that's the German name for Cologne.

N is next

Natchez , Mississippi, United States. The city has a total population of around 18,464. One of Mississippi's oldest cities, it was founded by French colonists in 1716, antedating the current capital city, Jackson, by more than a century. Located along the Mississippi River, Natchez is the southern terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway. The city is famous in American history for its role in the development of the Old Southwest, particularly with respect to its location on the Mississippi River.

Pre-European settlement (to 1716)
    Natchez people

The original site of Natchez was the main ceremonial village of the Natchez (pronounced "Nochi") Indian tribe, who occupied the area for countless generations (and whose culture was unbroken since the 8th-century, according to archaeological findings). Many early explorers, including Hernando De Soto, La Salle and Bienville, made contact with the Natchez, some of whom left detailed records of their encounters. The Natchez's society was divided into nobles and commoners according to matrilineal descent. The supreme Natchez chief, the "Great Sun", owed his position to the rank of his mother.

The later history of Natchez is rich and involves many
    nations.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez,_Mississippi

next Z

Ha ha! Zejtun - Malta, the village where I live!!

Zejtun (also called Iz-Zejtun) is a medium sized town in the south of Malta. Zejtun holds the title of Città Beland, which was bestowed by Ferdinand von Hompesch zu Bolheim, Grandmaster of Knights of Malta in 1797, Beland being his mother’s surname.

Zejtun takes its name from the Sicilian Arabic for “olive”- zaytun (comparable to the Spanish and Portuguese, "aceituna" and "azeituna" respectively), which was one of the main productive industries in Malta. It is also known as Hal-Bisbut, or Casal Bisbut

In Medieval times the whole district around Żejtun, that is the southern end of Malta, was known as le Terre di Santa Caterina, ( Italian for 'the lands of Saint Catherine', Italian being the official language in the period). During this period a number of new villages such as Ghaxaq and Marsaxlokk emerged from parts of the Parish of Żejtun. most of these are today separate parishes. The local militia regiment of Żejtun was one of the first to engage the Ottoman forces in the initial stages of the Great Siege of 1565, but the town continued to suffer attacks by Turkish pirates up to 1614, when an attack by the Turks was repulsed without aid from other militias. The town served a minor role in the French Blockade of 1799/1801 as a depot for soldiers. It was one of the first towns in Malta, outside the main fortified areas of Malta, to boast a Public Garden. This garden, the Luqa Briffa Garden, still stands today. It is named after a famous cavalryman during the Great Siege of Malta.