Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sparky's Saga/Update #74

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Sparky's Saga/Update #74

My normally bouncy boy seems to be "down in the dumps" and I don't know what to do for him. He's not sick - appetite is fine and he's always first in line for cookies - but he's just not himself.

He's always been a Mamma's Boy and doesn't like it when I leave, and probably has seperation anxiety to some degree, but when I return, he gives me attitude for a while, and then all is forgiven and the old Sparky is back.

Earlier this month I was on vacation for 12 days, but that didn't make too drastic a change in his life, since this is a 3 generation household as I live with my son, DIL, and grandson, so he had everyone here with him - just not me. When I got home, I noticed he seemed sad, but I figured it was the attitude again and he would get over it in a few days. It hasn't happened. He isn't clingy toward me (unless there is a thunder storm), and seems to keep more to himself than he ever did. However, when I go out for anything, he seems to stress.

Today I had some errands to run and was gone for less than 2 hours, and my son said after I left, that Sparky laid by the living room window (I have a bow window from ceiling to floor) and watched for me to come back. I just can't figure what's going on with him.

I've been gone plenty of times before - vacations - hospital stays - and he's always been fine after giving me a little attitude about me leaving him. This time, I just don't get what's going on with him.

He and Myndi go to the vet on Monday for their annual check up and shots, and I'm going to ask her about it.

Does anyone have any ideas? It makes me sad to see him sad!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 11-04-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Pomtzu- Do you think maybe if there were other dogs where you were that you brought back the scent on some of your clothes and it made Sparky anxious about another dog replacing him . Sounds weird that he would act like this after you've been back home for so long now, especially since he was at home with the rest of the family as you say. Maybe they get a bit more anxious as they age and it takes them longer to get over it. Hope he isn't coming down with something. Maybe try giving him extra attention for a few days to see what he does...poor thing, hope he gets back to normal soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Pomtzu- Do you think maybe if there were other dogs where you were that you brought back the scent on some of your clothes and it made Sparky anxious about another dog replacing him
    That's a thought - I was at my brother's place for 12 days - and he has 2 dogs and 2 cats. But I was there last Fall too, and didn't get this kind of reaction from Sparky when I came home that time.

Another thought I had, was maybe he was traumatized by a thunder storm when he and Myndi were alone during the day when my son and DIL were at work. They said that there were a couple of afternoon storms before they got home from work. The past couple of years, Sparky has developed a fear of them, and wants to be in someone's lap when it's storming. We had a bad storm late last night, and he was under the comforter and snuggled up against me until it was over. Maybe it terrified him that there was no one to "protect" him during those afternoon storms.

I don't know! I'm grasping at straws at this point!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Gosh, don't you just wish they could TALK?!!

Sparky, what's up, pup? Mum's worried about cha! Hmm, maybe that is exactly what he wants!

Hope he comes around soon.

I don't usually visit the dog side but I saw Sparky's name and I perked up. I don't have any thoughts on this other than to say that Sparky will be in my prayers, Ellie. Keep us posted.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

The thunderstorm idea might be your answer. If he was alone and is reacting to them in a more frantic way then mybe he fears that while you're away he'll be left alone during another one. Let us know how he does this week.......

We're back from our vet visit, and I have a "probable" answer to Sparky's issues.

Bad news first tho - he has a heart murmur - grade 2 on one side and grade 3 on the other. This came on rather suddenly, since when he was in, back in March, he was fine. He has no fluid, even tho he's been coughing a little. I don't know why I didn't pick up on that! He's on no meds, and I have to take him back to be checked in 6 months. I'm hoping he will do as well as Myndi - she was diagnosed with a stage 3 about a year and a half ago - doesn't take any meds - no fluid - and she has never coughed - and she was stable as of today.

So doc said that all this could be part of Sparky's depression - he probably doesn't feel as spunky and energetic, and that coupled with the separation anxiety and the fear of storms, all got dumped on him at once and overwhelmed him. Even tho Dr Annie says she's no psychologist, it would be her guess that it's probably his problem. So as long as he's not "sick" and is eating good and still likes to run around outside and play, then she feels it's nothing to worry about. Makes sense to me.

He's such a sweetheart and I love that little fuzz butt so much. So if I could ask my PT friends for a little prayer for Sparky - that he does well in spite of the heart murmur - and that he soon feels back to his ornery little self.

Thanks so much.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

You got it, Ellie. Try not to worry too much about sweet Sparky. PT prayers work miracles, as you know. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Praying for Sparky. Got the people fingers crossed, 2 dogs paws crossed and all the kitty paws crossed too!! The snakes would join in if they could!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm so sorry to hear this, Ellie. These little guys can work us over when things aren't right with them. I hope he continues to feel perky and eventually comes back to his old self. My thoughts and prayers are coming to you.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Sorry about the news Pomtzu. All makes sense now, probably just needs some extra rest. Keeping fingers crossed so he bounces back soon. Lavish extra love on the little guy so he'll perk up for you.

Thumbs up Sparky Prayers ...

Prayers for Sparky?

Sure ... DONE!

Hopefully he'll perk back up and act like his name.

Thank you for your prayers and well wishes. We're hoping for the best!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

You have my prayers that Sparky bounces right back!

I hope Sparky is feeling bouncy again in no time. Gatsby and Angel (who both have murmurs) send their best wishes and encouragement.