Thread: Moving With My dog...how to adjust

Moving With My dog...how to adjust

Hello! I have not been on here for a VERY long time, so I'll update you! I still have my beautiful Heidi. I currently reside at my parents resort so my dog has a lot of room to run. She is almost 7 years old. Alright heres the deal, I am getting married Febuary 20th, and I will be moving to the Twin Cities. The problem is I dont know how to get Heidi to adjust because she has never lived in the cities, and neither have I. I know she is an active dog, so I want to make this transition smooth for her. We will be living in an apartment for the first 6 months then hopefully (fingers crossed) be getting a house. So i was wondering if you had any ideas for making the move smooth and well and letting her adapt so that she doesnt get depressed because itll be a big change for her. I personally think that it will probably be benificial for her because that would require walks and lots more training activities for her. Plus ill be able to enter her in agility again! So any ideas would be GREAT!! My father thinks that it will not be agood idea to take her with me because shes not used to the cities! So advice is needed!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, I live in an apartment and have a dalmatian. High activity dogs. I don't think she should have too big a problem with it. I really can't give techniques to help because Honda could live anywhere. She wasn't depressed and had no problem transitioning from having full reign to no reign. But you're right, lots of activities and lots of walks. Maybe your city has a dog park if she does good with other dogs. This will allow her to have a lot of off leash time and be able to run around. And if she isn't good with other dogs, just pick a time of day where there will be no other dogs at the park. Just be prepared for times when you can't go and be ready to leave when another dog comes.

Hope things work well for you, and congrats on the marriage!!!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Just reading your post, I see more good outcomes by the change
    than bad. What type personality does Heidi have?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I thought it would possibly be a good change because then i would be able to interact more doing more physical stuff with her and that would require my video game financee to go out and exercise. Heidi doesnt do well with other dogs because she gets a bit territorial and stuff. Shes very good on leash with dogs and meeting and greeting and gets happy to see them, but once theres toys or treats its oh you arent my friend anymore. PLus I did take her to a dog park when I lived in Minot and she got really scared by all the activity with all the other dogs. Heidi has a very energetic personality, but she is VERY calm for a GSP. She loves meeting new people and she is pretty well behaved. We have a few issues but I think they are workable, and I figured moving and interacting more with her would curb some of those issues. Also, another thought I had, when I started dating my fiancee Heidi got jealous and would act up when he was visiting (shes gotten a bit better), how do i work with her on that once we are married and obviously hes not going anywhere?!?! THanks for the advice!

I moved from my parents house with three of my dogs and it was a lot easier than I expected. I just made sure I had all of their things here before bringing them, so their scent was already here.

I dont think I even needed to do that.. dogs are incredibly adaptable.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I think people put too much thought into moving with animals. Dogs adjust a lot easier than people think.

I've moved quite a lot with my dogs in the past couple years. I moved from IL to MI to IA back to IL and then to northern IL and then back to central IL and it never phased my dogs once.

Just make sure you continue to exercise them the same and have all their belongings and they really shouldn't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmericanPUP View Post
    I think people put too much thought into moving with animals. Dogs adjust a lot easier than people think.
    I feel that the moving will be ok, but then i get doubts after listening to my dad rant and rave how shes going to be all depressed and unhappy and blah blah blah. So then i start to feel very guilty for wanting to take her with me and like a very bad mother.

Coming from a military family, I have had to move with my dogs MANY times. Dogs are so much more adaptable than people so it makes it fairly easy. Like with any major change in a dog's life, Heidi will probably act a little differently and seem "depressed." She will get over it, just try to get into a new routine as quickly as possible. Dogs are creatures of habit and they are much more comfortable once they know what to expect. The first few days might be rough but you (and she) will make it through. Keep up with the exercise and mental stimulation as always - a busy dog is a happy dog. Best of luck!

Kristen & the Dynamutts...

I too agree that dogs have a much easier time adjusting to the move than people do. A couple years ago I moved from Little Falls, MN to Salt Lake City, Utah which is a much bigger city. My dogs had a much easier time than I did. I'm sure she'll adjust well. Positive experiences and keeping it stress free will help. Good luck with your move!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Your dog will probably adjust better than you will. It sounds like Dad wants to keep your dog. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda_Rae View Post
    I feel that the moving will be ok, but then i get doubts after listening to my dad rant and rave how shes going to be all depressed and unhappy and blah blah blah. So then i start to feel very guilty for wanting to take her with me and like a very bad mother.
    aww i wouldn't listen to your dad. like i said dogs are very adaptable. As long as u continue to give her enough exercise then there shouldn't be any problems.

Alright thank you guys very much for your advice and support. I feel much better bout making the move now.